Marmol/Gregg - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Marmol/Gregg

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Marmol/Gregg

Postby Maris09 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:29 pm

I hear a lot of chatter about how the Cubs may leave Marmol in his set up role, and let Gregg close. I see how this could make some sense, going by the whole....use your best reliever when the situation dictates, (ie) Bring him in with the game on the line in the 7th or 8th, etc...

I'd like to try and target Marmol as my 1st closer somewhere in the early teen rounds, but really don't want to end up with a great middle reliever.

What are some thoughts on that situation?
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Marmol/Gregg

Postby Dan Charette » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:27 pm

I agree with what you said about pitching him in the 7th or 8th innings . Have him come in and get out of a jam.
I read where it was said that there would be a competition for the closers job between Marmol and Gregg. I don't see why they would acquire Gregg to have him not be the closer. Marmol is the better pitcher , but there's no way to be sure he will be the closer.
If you draft him , you will have to risk him not closing.
Dan Charette
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DaShiz23 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:39 pm

Dan Charette wrote:I agree with what you said about pitching him in the 7th or 8th innings . Have him come in and get out of a jam.
I read where it was said that there would be a competition for the closers job between Marmol and Gregg. I don't see why they would acquire Gregg to have him not be the closer. Marmol is the better pitcher , but there's no way to be sure he will be the closer.
If you draft him , you will have to risk him not closing.

This is risky business, as either option sounds like a good idea for the Cubs, but not for our fantasy teams. Marmol's stats are very nice to have, no matter what, but obviously a reach in that area of the draft if he isn't getting the bulk of the saves. At this point, the safe thing to do would be grab them both, however they fit in your draft. I honestly believe this comes down to how the other set-up men fare early on, and this doesn't help anyone drafting right now.
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby garf112 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:42 pm

if you ask me, marmol is the better pitcher, and the better pitcher ends up as a closer in the long run.

even if gregg is the closer at the beginning of the season, he'd end up losing the job by May.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby RugbyD » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:56 pm

garf112 wrote:if you ask me, marmol is the better pitcher, and the better pitcher ends up as a closer in the long run.

even if gregg is the closer at the beginning of the season, he'd end up losing the job by May.

Not too sure about this. He sees to do a fine job of getting 3 outs with the bases empty without succumbing to "9th inning pressure" and that's all you need someone to do who starts the 9th. Marmol is much more useful elsewhere.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby garf112 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:38 pm

he may be more useful elsewhere, but what team actually employs the theory of having a "relief ace?" It is a great idea, but until I see it actually happen...
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby NZ Eff » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:12 am

Gregg will close to start the season but I see him struggling in Chicago in that role. Marmol will take over at some point but both Gregg and Marmol will be over valued come draft day. I would stay away from both in standard leagues unless you get them in the later rounds.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby stevethumb » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:21 am

the cubs would be foolish to trust the 9th inning to kevin gregg...he had a very lucky 1st half when he hung on to the closer's job w/ a very low 24% hit rate and an Xera of 4.47..his true colors showed up in the 2nd half as the ground ball pitcher ended up giving up too many hits and had a 4.80 ERA..not good..
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby NZ Eff » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:26 am

stevethumb wrote:the cubs would be foolish to trust the 9th inning to kevin gregg.

Really? Not saying the Cubs aren't foolish but the Cubs got Gregg to close. He will be the closer on opening day barring injury.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:44 am

Gregg is simply not a good pitcher. The only worry is that Pinella has a very short leash and Marmol could be frustrating at times.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers