Comments/Opinions on this team appreciated! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Comments/Opinions on this team appreciated!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Comments/Opinions on this team appreciated!

Postby jcarr8706 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:57 pm

I'm a newcomer to the cafe, but have been playing fantasy baseball for eight years now. All opinions on this team are appreciated.

Standard 21 players yahoo league:

C: Kelly Shoppach CLE
1B: Derrek Lee ChC
2B: Chase Utley PHI
3B: Aramis Ramirez ChC
SS: Rafael Furcal LAD
OF: Ryan Braun MIL
OF: Jason Bay BOS
OF: Bobby Abreu LAA
UTIL: Jason Giambi 1B OAK
Bench: Carlos Gomez MIN
Bench: Travis Hafner CLE

SP: Daisuke Matsuzaka BOS
SP: Javier Vazquez ATL
RP: Joe Nathan MIN
RP: Jonathon Broxton LAD
P: Derek Lowe ATL
P: Erik Bedard SEA
P: Joey Devine OAK
Bench: Fausto Carmona CLE
Bench: Chris Volstad FLA
Bench: Chris Ray BAL

I think I am content with this team. In my opinion, it has a lot of potential and versatility. If Gomez can improve on his batting average and warrant a third OF spot, it could allow me to move one of my outfielders (probably Abreu) as the year progresses for another starter. If Hafner can bounce back, I like the team's power. Even without him I think I can compete in the power categories.

I like my bullpen. The rotation is definitely the weak link, but again, there is potential there with Bedard and Carmona. If Ray gets his closer spot back I'll then have an extra closer to possibly shop around for another SP.

Anyone else have any thoughts or opinions? I'm trying to keep it positive hoping I can contend. If I need a warning to not overrate my team please feel free to chime in.
jcarr8706
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Comments/Opinions on this team appreciated!

Postby smoovethug » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:57 pm

Your offense is definitely solid, nice power and a nice amount of speed. The rotation is pretty weak. Some solid #2 type guys and bounceback hopefuls but I'd still like to see an ace. 2 solid closers in Nathan and Brox, Devine could emerge if he wins the job in ST and Ray would be nice if he returns to form.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby specificist » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:43 am

I like your team's offense and you have two guys on your bench who can certainly become at least serviceable fantasy starters with any luck. The only problem I see is in your SP. I'm not a fan of Dice-K just because he can't possibly keep walking people and stranding people at the same rate. I love vasquez, but don't expect less than a 4.00 ERA but enjoy his K's and decent WHIP. I would think about trading an OF(not abreu because of his 5 category stats) for a SP upgrade.

help?

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=368690&p=2955007#p2955007
i miss my marlins...
specificist
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Chadwick0211 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:54 pm

Your offense is not a problem at all. Nice combo of power and speed. I agree with the other poster not to move Abreu. But, you do need another SP. Dice will get you wins and SO's. I'd keep him as well. I'd keep an eye on the WW and FA.. There are always some good ones that havent been discovered yet..

Help?
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=368722
Chadwick0211 Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team