Ingrown Talent - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ingrown Talent

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ingrown Talent

Postby Carey Saders » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:45 pm

SURPRISE, Ariz. | Royals outfielder José Guillen expects to return to full-time drills, perhaps by this weekend, after easing the pain in his right big toe by yanking out a severely ingrown nail.

The nail was only a slight irritant Monday when Guillen reported to camp but soon worsened from the pounding caused by various workouts.

"The doctor saw me (Wednesday)," Guillen said, "and he said we’ll see how it feels in the morning. If it wasn't any better, he wanted me to have surgery. I thought, 'Whoaaa.'

"So I went on my own (Wednesday) to the pharmacy, got some tweezers, came home and pulled it out myself. Let me tell you, I cried. I had one tough hour. But I got it out."

Guillen said the nail had hooked and twisted deep into the skin.

"I reached in there (with the tweezers)," he said, "and poked around until I got the end of it. Then I counted one, two, three and just pulled …. Oh, my God. It came out, but tears were running down my cheeks."

Club officials weren't particularly pleased by the self-surgery but indicated the biggest concern now is avoiding an infection. Guillen is being treated with antibiotics but said his toe is already much better.

Full article http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Dellucci-s-alligator-Guillen-s-nail-kick-off-;_ylt=AuY1rdG7wrsIGnkEDh9Cl6URvLYF?urn=mlb,143117.
Thanks to Super Manny for the sig!
Carey Saders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Ingrown Talent

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:52 pm

This is what it's like to play for a small market team! You also have to perform your own Tommy John surgery.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Baseball Leftovers