Live draft with out-of-town managers... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Live draft with out-of-town managers...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Live draft with out-of-town managers...

Postby jmurphy_j » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:11 am

Our league's live draft is comming up soon, and we have two managers that currently live in other cities. At least one of them will not be able to make it for the draft.

In the past, the out-of-town managers have simply called somebody's cell phone and we put them on speaker phone (thank goodness for unlimited weekend minutes). This system gets the job done, but it is a huge pain in the ass. It is particularly ddifficult for the out-of-towners to keep track of everybody's picks.

Does anybody know of any websites that we can use to assist the process. It would be very helpfull of there was a site that the guys who wont be there can log into where we can enter the draft picks as they are being made so they can keep track of things.
jmurphy_j
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Live draft with out-of-town managers...

Postby RDD15 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:43 am

AOL instant messenger has worked well in a pinch for me.
RDD15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby Eagle Baseball » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:51 am

could you use something like couchmanagers? I am not sure if it would work but it is something to look into. You need to keep track of the draft anyway so if you could keep track on an online draft site that would be great. I know it would not be a problem for the 2 out of town owners. I am not sure if you could use 1 computer at the live draft site to enter the 10 other managers picks without each manager logging in each time they needed to make a pick.
Eagle Baseball
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Smileyman9 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:51 am

I'd be interested to hear about this too... We've been lucky enough the past few years that the majority of our league has been in attendance (the one year someone sent a proxy in their place so that things could run more smoothly, unfortunately the proxy got a tad too cute and started drafting super prospects that were in single A the season before...)

Regardless. With our owner who lives in VA we've traditionally called him via cell phone and then met up with him via AIM or in a chatroom and continued from there (pretty much letting him know who's been drafted as the picks occur so if he has to use the bathroom or is bored to tears sitting there alone they can always review to see who's been picked since they last were paying attention).

This year, my league is going auction style - which undeniably is going to make this a thousand times more a pain in the butt. Something that I proposed that I should look into is using a webcam to communicate with him since otherwise it's just going to get obnoxious and kill the momentum of the auction as we wait to see if he's bidding or not.
Smileyman9
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Smileyman9 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:09 pm

Just a quick followup; I'm not sure really how this will work out in the long run, however tentatively my league plans to go through a website called Skype using a fairly inexpensive but highly rated (omni directional) microphone that hooks up to a laptop.

Hopefully that works out.
Smileyman9
College Coach
College Coach

Postby silverZ » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:49 pm

Skype works great apart from the occasional disconnect.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 74)

Postby 23 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:53 pm

We were in the same situation last year. We just kept it simple and seemed to work fine. The out-of-town guys were sent an attachment (spreadsheet) of the draft sheet everyone else had in paper form and we communicated via Instant Messenger.

We are a Rotisserie League rooted in the old-school rules rather than the newer generation Yahoo/ESPN stuff, so we were drafting 40-man rosters, meaning you have to be able to keep up with picks and at what position players are being drafted for (can be adjusted during the draft). So as long as the out-of-town guys have their own sheet and they're not asleep on the computer, it's not a problem at all.
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby converge241 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:27 am

IM usually works can copy and paste last round of picks they make theirs and cross off as they wait for the next
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 101)

Postby Smileyman9 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:11 am

Today is our draft...however, yesterday we tested out the microphone w/ Skype in a 3 person phone conference and it worked out pretty well; Just for the sake of someone not having to constantly communicate with the MIA owner over AIM seems to be a huge benefit to me; For the price of a cheap microphone I think this helps remove a lot of headaches...but I guess I'll know for certain tongiht
Smileyman9
College Coach
College Coach

Postby SimpleJack » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:42 am

I haven't investigated it yet, but you can try 'Google Documents'. The link is below. If what I think it does is true, then you can post a draft chart online (Word or Excel) that everyone can log in to/access and see in "real time" as draft selections are made.

https://www.google.com/accounts/Service ... e&rm=false

Otherwise, I use a work office conference room for the draft and utilize a work-related web sharing application. Our auctions run very smoothly and 5 of our 10 managers are out of town. When a selection is thrown on the table, everyone states their bids. We keep it timed to a minute or so. When we get down to a few seconds, we have an assigned facilitator yell out, "Going once, going twice, sold!" Whoever had the highest bid wins the player.

If there is a tie on a bid with someone on the phone with someone in the conference room, we give the benefit of the doubt to the guy calling in because there could be a slight delay in audio transmission.
SimpleJack
T-Ball Trainer

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner