Looking for ways to cut down on pitching roster moves... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Looking for ways to cut down on pitching roster moves...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Looking for ways to cut down on pitching roster moves...

Postby RDD15 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:18 pm

Matthias wrote:
Kimbos Beard wrote:
Matthias wrote:I generally favor balancing stats versus limiting moves.

I'm guessing you have a standard 5x5 (W, ERA, WHIP, K, SV)? If so, you could add a couple of different stats to discourage streaming: K/BB would probably be the best. You would still have K's as a positive thing so people would have incentive to throw starters, especially quality starters, but throwing mediocre guys will then be hurting them in 3 categories.

Thats an alternative too. But if this is a keeper or if they drafted already you probably can't to add categories at this point.

Even in my keeper league, we allow changes if it has 2/3 approval.

I completely disagree. In a redraft league, once the draft has taken place, the league rules should be locked in unless changes get UNANIMOUS approval. In keepers, rule changes need to take place by new year's or so at the latest.

The reason for this, especially when considering rule changes that stop streaming, is that if one owner drafted his team with the league rules in mind, and planned on playing within the rules and employing streaming, it is not fair to yank the rug out from under him for the year by changing things midstream. If there is unanimous approval, so be it. But rosters absolutely should (need) to be built with an eye for the league's rules. Changing those rules undermines smart draft strategies.

To the OP, streaming is not a "cheap strategy", if the league rules allow it. It is a smart strategy employed by smart owners in order to win. If the rules allow it, good managers will utilize the practice. There is nothing wrong with wanting to change the rule, but to call it cheap is misguided.
RDD15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Matthias » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:02 pm

RDD15 wrote:
Matthias wrote:
Kimbos Beard wrote:
Thats an alternative too. But if this is a keeper or if they drafted already you probably can't to add categories at this point.

Even in my keeper league, we allow changes if it has 2/3 approval.

I completely disagree. In a redraft league, once the draft has taken place, the league rules should be locked in unless changes get UNANIMOUS approval. In keepers, rule changes need to take place by new year's or so at the latest.

As long as people still have time to adjust their draft strategy, it really doesn't matter. I'm not saying 2/3 to make changes in-season; those I just don't allow.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Chaos151p » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:35 am

This discussion has just started in my league, where originally I had set the max acquisition limit to 60 for the year, to ensure that each owner has plenty of opportunities. However, looking at last years pickup stats, 60 seemed high for my league. H2H, there are 22 regular weeks & 3 playoff weeks for us... so I set the Max at 25 (one per week) - this would bring manager skills right to the top, making owners think twice about picking up too many people in case of injury or bad play, which is part of real baseball - throw an extra DL spot & with 5 bench spots there is plenty of room for starters.

Last year the top 2 waiver pickups for the season were at 55 with the low 2 pickups being 9 & 10 - averaging around 30-35 per team - so setting the Max at 25 seems reasonable. Now maybe that's being a little harsh but so was the guy with 25 pitchers last year in the Championship. We're currently discussing adding a $2 additional fee for waiver pickups over 25, putting all money in the winners pot.
Chaos151p
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Trojan Pony » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:05 am

I would never join a league with an acquisitions limit under 40... But that's just me.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Chaos151p » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:42 pm

You can definitely make an argument for high or low acquisition limits, but the more waiver pickups your allowed over a week or season, the less skill is involved. Sure one might think that lets say 40 pickups (in a roto league 26 weeks) equals 3 pickups every 2 weeks for the entire season is reasonable, but that many players circulating around 10-12 teams seems a little unrealistic.

There are also a few strategies to take into consideration, owners who draft better teams, or trade well - stay away from injuries, use waivers correctly & manage a team from beginning to end, should be rewarded more than the owners who draft lousy players, stream pitchers as an "art" form and rotate guys from waivers like a revolving door.

I'd say 25-35 is realistic, anywhere over 40 takes a lot away from the experience. Of course anyone who likes high limits can obviously play any free league they want - respectable / competitive owners are where it's at, gotta look outside the box.
Chaos151p
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby zippytrash » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:41 pm

We run an ESPN H2H league, and they have an option to limit the amount of "starts" you can have each week. With our settings of number of pitching spots, our limit is at eight and that has seemed to curtail any and all streaming of pitchers as most of our league come from the 'draft smart' mindset. It has eliminated the problem without putting limits on picking up or dropping any players. It also put into a whole new element that forces us to look ahead to see how many starts each of our pitchers has, and play them accordingly. We've liked it so far....three seasons in.
Here's to you, Mr. Robinson. Jesus loves you more than you Cano.
zippytrash
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Ranker

Postby Carnac » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:56 pm

Our league uses 65 moves limit for the year. Prevents streaming, but plenty to cover other contingencies. Don't have to worry if you want to take a flier on a hot player or prospect. Top teams usually use majority of their moves for the year.
Carnac
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 72)
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner