Looking for ways to cut down on pitching roster moves... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Looking for ways to cut down on pitching roster moves...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Looking for ways to cut down on pitching roster moves...

Postby Deesul » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:07 am

I'm the commish of a league that last year had a number of players constantly adding and dropping pitchers. I really am not a fan of the practice because I feel it is more of cheap strategy for attempting to make up for putting together a sub-par pitching staff. I'd like to see more managers riding out what they have.

The trouble is figuring out a way to do this that won't affect cripple a manager's ability to make trades and add players overall. Last year I implemented a 10 roster move per week rule but all this really did was force managers who waned to play the rotating pitcher strategy to use all their 10 moves on pitchers which is exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

My thought here is to do this by adding a pitching stat that would discourage playing questionable pitchers by making the gamble tilted decidedly toward staying pat with your roster. Would adding losses do that? Any ideas?
Deesul
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Looking for ways to cut down on pitching roster moves...

Postby brtnsbs » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:44 am

I have never really minded the strategy and would often employ it late in the week to attempt to salvage K's and W's. However as the commish of a league where people preferred not to have streaming we decided to implement a 3 adds per week maximum. This does not affect trades at all as they aren't considered adds or drops. It simply limited the number of adds a team can make per week to three.

After implementing it, it actually added even more strategy to the league because owners would have to carefully consider who to pick up throughout the week. When it would come to Fri, Sat or Sun and a team was slightly behind it K's or W's it would have a limited ability to attempt to salvage a W but only if it managed its adds for the week up to that point.

Of course this is all thrown out if you run a rotisere league, in that case I would say 75 adds for the year would be sufficient to cut down on streaming.
brtnsbs
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby lilfrier » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:04 pm

We had a similar issue in my league last year, where I was somewhat of a co-commish. What we did was on CBS, and it keeps track of finances on there. So, what we did was made some phantom fees. What it did was charge a team a fiction $1.00 per added player. It was easy to track by simply going to the Finances page. We gave everyone a $9.00 limit, and if they went over it, they were given an illegal roster for that day and would therefore not score points. If you choose to implement this, which really worked, make sure you clearly state that these are not fees actually owed to the league. They are simply a bookmark to track moves.
lilfrier
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 14)

Postby Kimbos Beard » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:20 pm

Last year our league decided that we wanted to curtail streaming and decided to test some ways to do it.

It was a standard 5x5 roto with daily moves and we were very cautious and implemented a 100 max move limit. On yahoo, if I remember correctly, trades were not considered when totaling the max moves.

I have to say I was very pleased with the results. Not one team came close to the 100 moves, and it actually added a little more strategy to the game. In fact most teams had the ability to stream the last week or two because they still had plenty of moves left. What we wanted to eliminate was the manger(s) who streamed 3 or 4 pitchers a day starting in June.

The limit worked really well, and I think we could probably drop it down to 75 or so without it affecting the league at all.

That is what our league did, I am not saying it will work for every league, but it did for ours.
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Postby Eagle Baseball » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:46 pm

Our Yahoo league has a 2 SP add/drop per week. Yahoo does not have a way to automatically control this so everyone is on the honor system. All moves are posted by Yahoo on the league home page so you can check if you want.

The thing the commish & league need to do is have a written & posted consequence for a manager who violates whatever rule you put in. Just make the consequence severe enough that managers will avoid violating the rule on their own so you don't need to be checking all the time.
Eagle Baseball
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Matthias » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:58 pm

Deesul wrote:My thought here is to do this by adding a pitching stat that would discourage playing questionable pitchers by making the gamble tilted decidedly toward staying pat with your roster. Would adding losses do that? Any ideas?

I generally favor balancing stats versus limiting moves.

I'm guessing you have a standard 5x5 (W, ERA, WHIP, K, SV)? If so, you could add a couple of different stats to discourage streaming: K/BB would probably be the best. You would still have K's as a positive thing so people would have incentive to throw starters, especially quality starters, but throwing mediocre guys will then be hurting them in 3 categories.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Kimbos Beard » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:35 pm

Matthias wrote:I generally favor balancing stats versus limiting moves.

I'm guessing you have a standard 5x5 (W, ERA, WHIP, K, SV)? If so, you could add a couple of different stats to discourage streaming: K/BB would probably be the best. You would still have K's as a positive thing so people would have incentive to throw starters, especially quality starters, but throwing mediocre guys will then be hurting them in 3 categories.

Thats an alternative too. But if this is a keeper or if they drafted already you probably can't to add categories at this point.

If you still wanted to add a pitching category considering either K/BB or Losses would be fair. But then you would probably need to add another hitting category because I wouldn't like a 5x6 league, so now you are up to a 6x6 league. I am one of those traditioalists who prefer 5x5 so maybe thatswhy I would prefer not to add categories unless I absolutely needed to.
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Postby Trojan Pony » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:54 am

My leagues use a 50 acquisitions limit for the whole season, which works out to about 2 acquisitions a week. I find this is very effective in curbing any significant streaming but allows for the flexibility of spot starting according to the manager's strategy for that week. It's even more important because we use IP as a 6th pitching category, which would otherwise make streaming that much more tempting. Acquisitions include free agent and waiver wire adds, but not trades.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby swyck » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:30 pm

Kimbos Beard wrote:

Thats an alternative too. But if this is a keeper or if they drafted already you probably can't to add categories at this point.

If you still wanted to add a pitching category considering either K/BB or Losses would be fair. But then you would probably need to add another hitting category because I wouldn't like a 5x6 league, so now you are up to a 6x6 league. I am one of those traditioalists who prefer 5x5 so maybe thatswhy I would prefer not to add categories unless I absolutely needed to.

This kind of thing doesn't bother me too much, and I like 5x5. If I did want to limit it I'd agree that it should be an additional category instead of a transaction limit. K/BB or K/9 seem reasonable ones. Hurt them on the stat page. Of course you do need a batting cat to balance out, and I'd probably make that a rate cat also, say OPS.

If its a keeper you shouldn't change cats after the draft, but you also shouldn't change other rules such as transaction limits either. Plenty of time in the off season for that IMO.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Matthias » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:35 am

Kimbos Beard wrote:

Even in my keeper league, we allow changes if it has 2/3 approval.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner