Rickie Weeks - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rickie Weeks

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rickie Weeks

Postby jcook3127 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:01 pm

Draft this guy...he's currently going 202?? Wow...I'd take him a couple rounds before that happily as my #1 second basemen..

Listen, the average is not good..and it likely will not be higher than .250 this year...but this guy is a solid fantasy play. Do people realize he scored 90 runs last season in 470 at bats? If the Brewers would stop screwing with his playing time and just let him compile 650 at bats at the top of that order...you're lookin at 110 R, 20 HR, 25 SB with a bad average and low RBI output...but clearly that comes out to a great fall back option at second base...I'd much rather have this guy than a Howie Kendrick for example, who a lot of teams will take as their starting second baseman with no breakout ability. To be perfectly honest, I think I'd rather have Weeks over Figgins...and when you consider the ADP Disparity, in a heart beat would I make that choice...

He's got great speed, good power, very attractive lineup spot....If he can somehow put it all together, you're talking about the biggest profit in fantasy this season. IF HE CONTINUED TO BE A MESS and the Brewers just kept him atop the order, you're still talking about a very good value at 2B

Bottom Line: I don't know why people have stopped talking about Rickie...nobody would be surprised if he broke out...I realize he's broken a lot of hearts the past couple years...but he's still only 26 years old with great raw talent and some real MLB numbers to back it up...

DRAFT HIM!!
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rickie Weeks

Postby silverZ » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:10 pm

Kthx
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby ayebatter » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:21 pm

Ok, damn it, you don't have to shout, I'll take him. 8-o %-6 :-{ :-o
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1287)

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:39 pm

I think he needs to start referring to himself in the third person to fully achieve his potential.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)

Postby woodson_28 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:49 pm

jcook3127 wrote:Listen, the average is not good..

and it likely will not be higher than .250 this year..

If the Brewers would stop screwing with his playing time and just let him compile 650 at bats at the top of that order

If he can somehow put it all together

I realize he's broken a lot of hearts the past couple years

Very good reasons to stay away from him. He's had breakout potential the last 3 years. The guy has averaged under 400 AB each of the last 4 seasons. I have no problem drafting him as a back up 2B (break out candidate) w/ a 17+ rd pick. But as a starter? I don't think it's wise to draft unproven/unreliable players to be your starters.

This is why Rich Harden is falling so far to. If he was good for 32+ starts every year, than he'd be a strong candidate to be the #1 pitcher off the charts.

I just think it's unwise and irresponsible to take Weeks as your #1 2b (unless you're in a deep league). Too many other 2B are more trustworthy.
woodson_28
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CadensDad » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:06 am

I got him as a backup 2b and MAYBE a starting 2b if no one else falls to me earlier. But I wont tough him till round.....17 or later

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Scooter1027 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:38 am

Weeks could end up being a steal this year. Because he's been a bit disappointing, I'm seeing him fall pretty far in drafts. A full healthy season from him should provide very solid 2B production in 3 categories, as he's a guy that could easily go 100+ R, 18 HR, 25 SB. The average won't be great (I would gladly take PECOTA's projection of .269 if he could pull that), and as the leadoff guy, RBIs will be mediocre (I would guess 55-60 or so). But you have a guy who, at the minimum (assuming a full season's worth of ABs), is going to produce pretty nicely in 3 categories at a scarce position, and he still has that maddening upside. I see it first hand every day watching as many Brewers games as I do, his bat speed is incredible, his foot speed is incredible. He launches homeruns with the flick of a wrist. If it could just finally "click" for him. Then again, it may never. But I think for how far I'm seeing him fall, a modest projection of .256, 18 HR, 58 RBI, 100 R, and 25 SB carries value at a scarce position. The days of reaching for him are over, but for where he's being drafted, I'd take him.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby carter » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:07 am

he's a sleeper again.. because he can't stay healthy ... its not like the Brewers want to keep him from 600 ab's because of his batting avg.. their well aware of his talent.. his legs just can't make it deep into the season.... they can't withstand the everyday grind over the long hall, and he's proven this every year... i think the main reason they traded for Durham last year was because Weeks is a major injury risk and they were looking toward the playoffs, fearful of making it without another 2b option... they could've also platooned them to give his body a rest

if he can actually make it past 550 ab's, he's a good pick, but i wouldn't center my whole draft around a player with this kind of injury history
carter
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 13)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:08 am

i've been targeting him late, missed out in one league already and had to settle for Aviles
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Dan Charette » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:02 pm

I've been guilty about reaching for him in the past. I won't reach anymore , but he is getting to that breakout age . Maybe he's just a late bloomer. I think I would target him in a 10 team league rather than a 16-20 team league. If he doesn't work out then there should be a pretty good free agent available.
He is definately a high risk / high reward type. I missed out on him in one league , but I may try to get him in my next draft in the later rounds. Sucker for punishment , I guess . :-B

Dan the Bluesman B-)
Dan Charette
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers