David Price - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

David Price

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: David Price

Postby Rance Mulliniks » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:43 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:
SignGuy wrote:This gives some clarification as well.

How long does he need to stay in the minors as to the Orioles maximizing their control once his clock starts?

He needs to stay down only about two weeks -- so that he's below 175 days in the majors this season -- to delay free agency until after 2015.

Super Two-dom is more of a floating target, but he'd need to stay down for roughly two months to delay arbitration eligibility until after 2012.

As foolish as it is for me to say I'm right and a giant paper like the Baltimore sun is wrong, I think they are.

The MLB rules pretty explicitly say "top 17%" There is nothing anywhere about 175 days. I find it hard to believe that 17% of players called up will be called up in the first two weeks of the season. If we look back at history, we see guys like Lincecum, Hamels, Braun, Bruce, Pence at all get called up soemtime in May and "delay their arbitration" is always an excuse used.

if we assume that the distribution of when most players get called up is pretty even, then we can assume that the cutoff will be around 17% of the way into the season. And that would be a little more than a month into the season. Which is pretty well aligned with the recent history of elite prospects not getting called up until mid-late May.

Are you sure the Sun is wrong? They say below 175 days to avoid counting a year towards free agency (which comes after 6 years) not arbitration. You're correct on the Super-2 Rule that a player with at least two years experience is also eligible provided he is among the top 17 percent in cumulative playing time in the majors of players who are between two and three years of experience.

MLB does have a rule on how many days a player must be on the 25-man roster for it to count as a year. I thought it was 172 days, but it may be 175 days.

Perhaps the O's aren't concerned about arb. and want to ensure that they have Wieters for six more years (rather than five) after this one. Still, one would have though that if they were worried about FA-eligibility, they'd also be worried about arb-eligibility.

On a side note, I think they have to change the Super-2 rule. The concept makes sense, but it's obvious teams are looking to manipulate it.
Mulliniks Watch: Still stuck on 1325 games 3569 AB 445 R 972 H 73 HR 435 RBI 0.272 AVG 15 SB
Rance Mulliniks
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates