David Price - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

David Price

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: David Price

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:00 pm

Word I have heard is that the spot is between Hammel and Niemann and Hammel has the edge and is more than likely going to get it. I have no idea why they would give it to him over Niemann though. Niemann is the better spec, better pitcher, and has pitched better in the Spring. It should go to Niemann if they aren't giving it to Price.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:27 pm

Seems like he's destined for the minors, according to ESPN.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring200 ... id=4011780

Maybe makes him a tad undervalued in some drafts?
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jlm53089 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:38 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:Word I have heard is that the spot is between Hammel and Niemann and Hammel has the edge and is more than likely going to get it. I have no idea why they would give it to him over Niemann though. Niemann is the better spec, better pitcher, and has pitched better in the Spring. It should go to Niemann if they aren't giving it to Price.

I honestly dont know why they would give it to Hammel over Niemann.
I personally think they might go with a 4 man rotation until they have to start Niemann or Hammel.
And in that case I think they will go with who is doing better out of the pen and who is looking better.

We will see but I think that is the route they are going to go.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Ray Zorback » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:34 pm

Newbie question here. Price is on my team, what should I do? Keep him on the bench and wait/hope for him to be called up or drop him.
Ray Zorback
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 240)

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:28 pm

Ray Zorback wrote:Newbie question here. Price is on my team, what should I do? Keep him on the bench and wait/hope for him to be called up or drop him.

He will be up in a month at the latest. Hold on to him
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:11 pm

Following this trade it pushes Niemann into the 5th spot, however, with Niemann's velocity decreasing over the past couple years, you wouldn't think he'd hold that position away from Price for too long.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:45 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Following this trade it pushes Niemann into the 5th spot, however, with Niemann's velocity decreasing over the past couple years, you wouldn't think he'd hold that position away from Price for too long.

They will have Price up here sometime this year, it is just going to depend on when. They are controling his innings so he is fresh late. Niemann has a lot of upside and has looked good. Price is better than almost the entire staff, so someone will go for him, but it may not be Niemann if he lives up to his potential. IMO, they are hoping Niemann pitches great and they can move him.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:39 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Following this trade it pushes Niemann into the 5th spot, however, with Niemann's velocity decreasing over the past couple years, you wouldn't think he'd hold that position away from Price for too long.

They will have Price up here sometime this year, it is just going to depend on when. They are controling his innings so he is fresh late. Niemann has a lot of upside and has looked good. Price is better than almost the entire staff, so someone will go for him, but it may not be Niemann if he lives up to his potential. IMO, they are hoping Niemann pitches great and they can move him.

From everything I've seen and read on him is that he's not the dominating pitcher he was at Rice. I saw him pitch in the CWS and he was lights out awesome. I've read that his velocity is down and being a huge guy depending on the location of his high heat, I think that's troubling if you're looking for him to live up to the Rice hype. We'll see how he does though. I'm rooting for him. It was a thrill watching him and Humber pitch in Omaha.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:13 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:

From everything I've seen and read on him is that he's not the dominating pitcher he was at Rice. I saw him pitch in the CWS and he was lights out awesome. I've read that his velocity is down and being a huge guy depending on the location of his high heat, I think that's troubling if you're looking for him to live up to the Rice hype. We'll see how he does though. I'm rooting for him. It was a thrill watching him and Humber pitch in Omaha.

No way he matches what he was supposed to out of Rice. He was way overused and then had elbow problems to add to it. He doesn't throw as hard as he once did, but he has gotten better control. I still think he can be a solid pitcher and a great closer if ever moved there.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:22 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:No way he matches what he was supposed to out of Rice. He was way overused and then had elbow problems to add to it. He doesn't throw as hard as he once did, but he has gotten better control. I still think he can be a solid pitcher and a great closer if ever moved there.

Yeah, I hope so and think he's better suited to the pen as well. I really do think, however, that we're going to see him knocked around a bit before the Rays lose patience and call up Price (or someone else to keep his innings down). Hope I'm wrong though.

You know, for some reason I never realized just how big he is. I knew he was big, but this guy's pushing 300 pounds at 6'9". Is he the biggest pitcher in the bigs right now?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates