MVP 2004 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

MVP 2004

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pedantic » Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:32 am

Just out of curiosity, how is home run hitting in 2004?

And on a semi-related note, anyone ever play out an entire season in 2003? If so, what's the best season you've had with a hitter?
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:34 am

does anyone have the internat adpator for the ps2 lol and if so can you update the roster to current lineups as of now and does it have the a-rod trade ro not? As you can see i didnt buy the game yet :,-(

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby LBJackal » Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:21 pm

HR hitting? Well I don't hit too many, and I'm playing on the Pro level (2nd of 4 levels - from what I've read, the 4th level is imppossible to win - literally).

I only have 1 I think; from Juan Uribe (WTF??). I suck at predicting where pitches are going to be located, so usually I hit cheesy singles, with a bunch of triples by Uribe and doubles from Baldelli, Kent, and Dave Hansen (I waited until really late to grab a 1B). Needless to say, Uribe has been moved up from #8 up to #2 replacing Jason Kendall who is hitting something like .170 - ughhh.

The thing I really like about this game is how they make great defensive players so important. There's nothing like having Baldelli in left, Beltran in center, and Abreu in right. Basically any fly ball gets snatched up by one of them. And Uribe has a cannon as my 3B while Jack Wilson is one of the better defensive SS's but can't hit for chit.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Pedantic » Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:33 pm

That's one thing I hated about 2003...practically no home runs.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby DK » Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:35 pm

Pedantic wrote:That's one thing I hated about 2003...practically no home runs.

What system did you use? I used a PC (Because I'm too broke and lazy to get up off my ass and buy something worthwhile) and HR's were a very common occurance.

MVP 2003 for the PC, was worse than garbage. I hope they can follow it up somewhat.

I agree about the walks. There must be some way for pitchers to walk more hitters, other than simulation.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby bell » Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:11 pm

From an Amazon.com review:

Unless you have these controllers listed below..Avoid this game!!!
Logitech Dual Action Gamepad
Wingman Cordless Rumblepad
Wingman Rumblepad
Gravis Eliminator Aftershock
Saikek P880 controller

Seems the option to configure your own controller has been taken out and only those few supported. Not about to shell out another $30 for a controller just because it needs to work on this game when i already bought a new controller few weeks ago The USB NYCO AIR FLO PC controller. Seems Amazon failed to mention that to us online shoppers that them few controllers was only supported. Well $40 wasted on this game because of a controller issue. Game looks great. Controller support stinks.

WTF? That's ridiculous. :-t
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Sat Mar 13, 2004 3:46 pm

bell wrote:From an Amazon.com review:

Unless you have these controllers listed below..Avoid this game!!!
Logitech Dual Action Gamepad
Wingman Cordless Rumblepad
Wingman Rumblepad
Gravis Eliminator Aftershock
Saikek P880 controller

Seems the option to configure your own controller has been taken out and only those few supported. Not about to shell out another $30 for a controller just because it needs to work on this game when i already bought a new controller few weeks ago The USB NYCO AIR FLO PC controller. Seems Amazon failed to mention that to us online shoppers that them few controllers was only supported. Well $40 wasted on this game because of a controller issue. Game looks great. Controller support stinks.

WTF? That's ridiculous. :-t

I agree Bell. That is ridiculous. Worst case scenario is that they add a controller with the game and charge an extra $10 bucks or so. Bad move with that game.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby justinA » Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:15 pm

LBJackal wrote:I've played 10 games and I don't think I've walked once, so my OBP is the same as my BA for pretty much everybody :*) Prior has the highest BA at .600 (6-for-10) and also has a .600 OBP.

BTW: Anybody know where to find what minor leaguers in this game reflect on real-life ML's who aren't signed to MLBPA contracts? I did a fantasy draft so I can't tell which team's farm system these guys came from. Players like Weeks and Morneau, who've played in the majors, are in the game. But I've heard that for all the guys not in the MLBPA they have done the same thing that they did with Bonds; re-name them. I have a good catching prospect in AA (Carl Hernandez) who I'm hoping is the game's equivalent of Joe Mauer ;-D

i heard they did that too, to the players, but take Mike Fontenot for example. He was in AA bowie last year so youd figure he would be there or AAA Ottawa in the game, but when u look at all of the 2B's on both teams, none of them are 5' 8" 160! one 2B is like 6' 6" and u cant edit height, so the theory that they just renamed them doesnt seem to be correct.
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pedantic » Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:22 pm

DK wrote:
Pedantic wrote:That's one thing I hated about 2003...practically no home runs.

What system did you use? I used a PC (Because I'm too broke and lazy to get up off my ass and buy something worthwhile) and HR's were a very common occurance.

MVP 2003 for the PC, was worse than garbage. I hope they can follow it up somewhat.

I agree about the walks. There must be some way for pitchers to walk more hitters, other than simulation.

I use PC also. Home runs are like freaks of nature for me. I jump up and down for joy and clap my hands gleefully when I hit a home run. Ok, maybe not, but close. The only place I hit home runs semi-regularly is US Cellular. I had 29 homers in a season with Maggs. I thought I had died and gone to heaven.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Melo255 » Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:35 pm

Hey for the guy who asked about the PS2 version I just got it a few hours ago and you are forced to download roster updates if you want to play online so for example A-Rod will be a member of the Yankees when you play online and Soriano a member of the Rangers. They are going to update it every few weeks or so to keep up with real-world trades, waivers, etc. And also PS2 is the only version thats playable online which is great for us but really sucks for Xbox owners. The games fun as hell and if you play online I'll see you there.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk