I'm a rookie, please help. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

I'm a rookie, please help.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I'm a rookie, please help.

Postby Neon304 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:04 pm

Well, I tried getting my teams rated once before, but really didn't know what I was doing, so I'll try again. Also, I'll only do 1 team at a time now.

C Jorge Posada (NYY - C) DL
1B Chris Davis (Tex - 1B,3B)
2B Chase Utley (Phi - 2B)
3B Ryan Zimmerman (Was - 3B)
SS Hanley Ramírez (Fla - SS)
OF Carlos Quentin (CWS - OF)
OF Bobby Abreu (LAA - OF)
OF Chris Young (Ari - OF)
Util Howie Kendrick (LAA - 2B)
SP Cole Hamels (Phi - SP)
SP Brandon Webb (Ari - SP)
RP Carlos Mármol (ChC - RP)
RP Heath Bell (SD - RP)
P Zack Greinke (KC - SP)
P Ted Lilly (ChC - SP)
P Hong-Chih Kuo (LAD - SP,RP)
BN Justin Upton (Ari - OF)
BN Mark Reynolds (Ari - 3B)
BN Orlando Cabrera (CWS - SS) NA
BN José Guillén (KC - OF)
BN Chris Carpenter (StL - SP)

Its a Yahoo Roto league
rules http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com ... 8/settings
other teams in the league http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com ... ingrosters

Any help or advice? If any more info is needed, please ask.

Thanks in advance.
Neon304
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: I'm a rookie, please help.

Postby Tenacious D-Store » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:26 pm

That's much better. First off, for a rookie to have the sense to draft Hong-Chih Kuo in a roto league with no holds, impresses me. In my opinion he is one of the most valuable middle relief guys in roto leagues, strike out more than a batter per inning on average, nice low ERA and WHIP and an occasional spot starter. He'll get some action in 3 or 4 times a week. Overall for you first draft you didn't do too bad. Howie Kendrick is probably useless. Prospect Sean Rodriguez is breathing down his neck already, plus there is other competition, the Angels may be on the verge of giving up on him already. He's not suitable for this league esp at Utility. Your bench has some strong points such as Justin Upton (a nice sleeper) and Mark Reynolds who will likely find his way in to your Utility spot (watch that low BA though). Your pitching looks adequate as well, could use one more closer. Scour the FA pool for Travis Snider or Adam Lind, even Matt Joyce if those two or owned and cut Guillén or Kendrick for him. The rest of your offense looks solid, outside of Hanley there isn't much speed but don't be too concerned with that. I wish my first fantasy draft ever was half as good as this.

One more thing... I see no value in Posada. Try Laird, AJ Pierzynski, or Nick Hundley. (Hundley's powerful but another batting average killer though)

I hope others will give this kid some feedback as well. I thought he was very open minded and respectful when I was coaching him as to why his previous posts got no responses, and what to do differently. He put a lot of effort in to getting some feed back.
Tenacious D-Store
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby siQ_innovation » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:46 am

I like this team a lot. I don't see any major flaws and need attending to. Nice job.

Props to RyanK for the Sig.
siQ_innovation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby etraum » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:52 am

You have one of the top 3 teams in the league. I love your pitching... try to keep them intact. You don't have too many holes, but you have a few guys with the "Potential" Tag written on them (CB Young, C Davis). You can do one of two things with them: 1) ride them through their hot & cold streaks (both strike out a ton) or 2) try to package a deal with one to upgrade either 1b or OF.

Otherwise fantastic draft and I like your team better than all the others in your league. Road to the championship goes through you.
etraum
College Coach
College Coach

Postby brotherbird » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:55 pm

Rookie? You probly are a pool shark too. Awesome for 12 teamer! Or a 10 teamer for that matter.
brotherbird
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby pre1322 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:13 am

I commend you for getting Hamels and Webb and not mortgaging your offense! Looks like you made some savvy middle round picks. Loving Marmol and Kuo, they will be excellent for the ratios. For 12 teams, I think this team will place right up there. Nice!!
pre1322
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Chadwick0211 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:07 pm

Nice looking team. Good Job!! Strong pitching rotation with some nice power and speed to boot. I disagree with the other poster about Posada. When healthy he carries a very nice average for catchers and he's starting to get healthy again. He can usually be picked up within the later rounds anyway. Pretty good value for a late round pick. I do agree that you could use another closer though. I like the Hamels & Webb 1-2 punch.. Should pay off early and often. Just my opinions and great job!!

Help?
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=368722
Chadwick0211 Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team