Obama Administration Fails Literacy Test - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Obama Administration Fails Literacy Test

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Obama Administration Fails Literacy Test

Postby RugbyD » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:03 pm

Unless today is opposite day, the language is being redefined.

...Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack told consumer groups, farm groups and meat industry leaders Tuesday that he will ask the meat industry to voluntarily follow stricter guidelines for new package labels designed to specify a food's country of origin...

...If the industry does not comply with the stricter guidelines, the administration will write new rules, according to those who spoke with Vilsack on Tuesday...

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... gD96E4M002
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Obama Administration Fails Literacy Test

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:10 pm

I don't understand where the discrepancy is. They want stricter guidelines, they're asking producers to follow the stricter guidelines voluntarily, if they don't do it on their own, they will write the guidelines into law. It basically sounds like they are trying to put the guidelines into effect without taking the time/energy/money of actually making them policy.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:27 pm

I think it's just the "do it voluntarily or else" message. :-D
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Amazinz » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:36 pm

It kind of reminds me of Tom Coughlin's voluntary mini-camps. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RugbyD » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:26 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:I don't understand where the discrepancy is. They want stricter guidelines, they're asking producers to follow the stricter guidelines voluntarily, if they don't do it on their own, they will write the guidelines into law. It basically sounds like they are trying to put the guidelines into effect without taking the time/energy/money of actually making them policy.

..and so there is nothing voluntary about this. The end result is X. For something to be volutary, the potential outcome must include something other than X.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby knapplc » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:19 pm

I suppose they could have just issued a decree, but it's probably the old saw, "You catch more flies with honey than vinegar."
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:42 pm

RugbyD wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:I don't understand where the discrepancy is. They want stricter guidelines, they're asking producers to follow the stricter guidelines voluntarily, if they don't do it on their own, they will write the guidelines into law. It basically sounds like they are trying to put the guidelines into effect without taking the time/energy/money of actually making them policy.

..and so there is nothing voluntary about this. The end result is X. For something to be volutary, the potential outcome must include something other than X.

Right. I guess I just don't understand what makes this unique, or why it stands out. Officials saying "we want X. Do it 'voluntarily' on your terms, or you're going to have to do it on our terms" happens at every level of government. I follow the Ag Dept. fairly closely, and similar "requests" certainly happend under Schaffer, and I would assume under every Ag Secretary.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RugbyD » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:56 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
RugbyD wrote:

Right. I guess I just don't understand what makes this unique, or why it stands out. Officials saying "we want X. Do it 'voluntarily' on your terms, or you're going to have to do it on our terms" happens at every level of government. I follow the Ag Dept. fairly closely, and similar "requests" certainly happend under Schaffer, and I would assume under every Ag Secretary.

You don't find anything wrong with blatant dishonesty like this? I'm not saying it's unique, it's just the principle...
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:58 pm

RugbyD wrote:

The end result must be X but the means through which they attain X can be the individual company's method A, B, or C. Any of A, B, or C could be more cost-effective, less time consuming, and/or less limiting than government's method D.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:03 pm

RugbyD wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:
RugbyD wrote:..and so there is nothing voluntary about this. The end result is X. For something to be volutary, the potential outcome must include something other than X.

You don't find anything wrong with blatant dishonesty like this? I'm not saying it's unique, it's just the principle...

I guess if you're hung up on the dictionary definition of "voluntary" I guess you could call it dishonesty but I don't see any hidden agenda or anything here. Probably not the best choice of words, but it all depends on how you read it (or how you want to read it). Besides, there's no need to vilify them for a single word when it's pretty clear what the message is.
Last edited by Neato Torpedo on Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Next

Return to General Talk