This is what happens when you focus on pitching - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

This is what happens when you focus on pitching

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

This is what happens when you focus on pitching

Postby Tenacious D-Store » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:07 pm

Since I've seen many posts asking how early to focus on pitching I thought this was worth posting. This is NOT my team, but I am in this league. This GM ran his mouth for the whole draft about how he was going to win this league with pitching alone. I tried to warn him not to sell out offense and that pitching is deep and does not win leagues, but he continued and got even more cocky. I personally like to let pitching fall until round 7 or 8, I took Chad Billingsley in the 8th as my first pitcher. Anyway take a look at his final team very closely if you are one of these people who think pitching wins leagues, this guy will finish dead last, I guarantee it.

C Jorge Posada(NYY - C) DL
1B Carlos Delgado(NYM - 1B)
2B Mark DeRosa(Cle - 2B,3B,OF)
3B Mark Reynolds(Ari - 3B)
SS Rafael Furcal(LAD - SS)
OF Jay Bruce(Cin - OF)
OF Nick Swisher(NYY - 1B,OF)
OF Rick Ankiel(StL - OF)
Util Jason Giambi(Oak - 1B)
BN Hideki Matsui(NYY - OF) DL
BN Juan Pierre(LAD - OF)
BN Hank Blalock (TEX - 1B,3B)
BN Matt LaPorta(Cle - 1B,OF) NA
BN Scott Podsednik(Col - OF) NA
SP Johan Santana(NYM - SP)
SP CC Sabathia(NYY - SP)
RP Jonathan Papelbon(BOS - RP)
RP Mariano Rivera(NYY - RP)
P Francisco Liriano(Min - SP)
P Edinson Vólquez(Cin - SP)
P A.J. Burnett(NYY - SP)
Image
Tenacious D-Store
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Web Supporter
Posts: 1900
Joined: 8 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: This is what happens when you focus on pitching

Postby shmolex » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:28 pm

I cant figure out who he took in rounds 2/3. Sabathia and who?

But yeah, that is pretty terrible...
shmolex
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1344
Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: This is what happens when you focus on pitching

Postby Tenacious D-Store » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:37 pm

shmolex wrote:I cant figure out who he took in rounds 2/3. Sabathia and who?

But yeah, that is pretty terrible...


I believe he went Johan, CC, then Papelbon
Image
Tenacious D-Store
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Web Supporter
Posts: 1900
Joined: 8 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: This is what happens when you focus on pitching

Postby siQ_innovation » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:44 pm

wow, that is just dreadful drafting.
Image

Props to RyanK for the Sig.
siQ_innovation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 383
Joined: 23 Feb 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Southern California

Re: This is what happens when you focus on pitching

Postby sean1981 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:46 pm

Tenacious D-Store wrote: Anyway take a look at his final team very closely if you are one of these people who think pitching wins leagues, this guy will finish dead last, I guarantee it.


Well, he won't finish dead last as he's bound to be in the race for top points in pitching in a roto league. If this a H2H league, he very well could win a fair amount of games on his pitching alone by flipping one or two hitting categories. He has some guys (Reynolds, Delgado, Giambi) who are bound to have a few high power outburst type weeks. I don't advocate this style of drafting, but stranger things have happened...
sean1981
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 11
Joined: 17 Feb 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: This is what happens when you focus on pitching

Postby Tenacious D-Store » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:18 pm

It's 5x5 roto, not H2H.
Image
Tenacious D-Store
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Web Supporter
Posts: 1900
Joined: 8 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: This is what happens when you focus on pitching

Postby BlueBoy » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:49 pm

Tenacious D-Store wrote:Since I've seen many posts asking how early to focus on pitching I thought this was worth posting. This is NOT my team, but I am in this league. This GM ran his mouth for the whole draft about how he was going to win this league with pitching alone. I tried to warn him not to sell out offense and that pitching is deep and does not win leagues, but he continued and got even more cocky. I personally like to let pitching fall until round 7 or 8, I took Chad Billingsley in the 8th as my first pitcher. Anyway take a look at his final team very closely if you are one of these people who think pitching wins leagues, this guy will finish dead last, I guarantee it.

C Jorge Posada(NYY - C) DL
1B Carlos Delgado(NYM - 1B)
2B Mark DeRosa(Cle - 2B,3B,OF)
3B Mark Reynolds(Ari - 3B)
SS Rafael Furcal(LAD - SS)
OF Jay Bruce(Cin - OF)
OF Nick Swisher(NYY - 1B,OF)
OF Rick Ankiel(StL - OF)
Util Jason Giambi(Oak - 1B)
BN Hideki Matsui(NYY - OF) DL
BN Juan Pierre(LAD - OF)
BN Hank Blalock (TEX - 1B,3B)
BN Matt LaPorta(Cle - 1B,OF) NA
BN Scott Podsednik(Col - OF) NA
SP Johan Santana(NYM - SP)
SP CC Sabathia(NYY - SP)
RP Jonathan Papelbon(BOS - RP)
RP Mariano Rivera(NYY - RP)
P Francisco Liriano(Min - SP)
P Edinson Vólquez(Cin - SP)
P A.J. Burnett(NYY - SP)


Agreed. The guy's batting average is gonna take a beating with Delgado, Reynolds and Giambi. Pierre isn't going to be starting over Ethier, Kemp, and likely Ramirez. Laporta probably won't start the season in the majors because Cleveland has too many outfields and financially it makes sense for Cleveland to do what Tampa did to Longoria and keep him in the minors to save $$. DeRosa had a career year and is in his mid-30s. A lot of guys who are getting up there in age and don't have a lot of upside. If one of his pitchers goes on the DL it'll wipe out the strength of his pitching big time. A lot of the hitters he has were on the waiver wire last season.

A lot of guys can be taken late (Kazmir, Billingsley, Zambrano, Oswalt, Nolasco).
BlueBoy
T-Ball Trainer


Posts: 4
Joined: 19 Feb 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball


Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Sep. 3
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Philadelphia at Atlanta
(12:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at St. Louis
(1:45 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(3:10 pm)
Washington at LA Dodgers
(3:10 pm)
Seattle at Oakland
(3:35 pm)
Boston at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Detroit at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
NY Mets at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Toronto at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Milwaukee at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
LA Angels at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Texas at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Arizona at San Diego
(10:05 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact