Ken Griffey Jr. returns to the Mariners - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ken Griffey Jr. returns to the Mariners

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ken Griffey Jr. returns to the Mariners

Postby jcde7ago » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:33 am

Per Yahoo:
PEORIA, Ariz. (AP)—Ken Griffey Jr. has decided to return to the Seattle Mariners.

“He’s coming home. … I can’t begin to tell you how ecstatic we are. He is, too,” Seattle general manager Jack Zduriencik said in confirming the deal Wednesday night.

Zduriencik called Griffey “arguably one of the greatest athletes to ever play in the Seattle area.”

The 39-year-old star’s contract is for one year and believed to be worth $2 million in base salary, plus incentives.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AvMpF7nWfuj7tgoaN00iVQQ5nYcB?slug=ap-mariners-griffey&prov=ap&type=lgns

So, what does this mean for Griffey's fantasy value?
12-Team Yahoo! H2H Keeper League - 3-Sport Dynasty - Year 4 - Jonny D's Team
Keepers: Albert Pujols/Jose Reyes/Ryan Braun/Grady Sizemore/Evan Longoria/Tim Lincecum = SWEET!

#25 - Barry Bonds - 73, 762
jcde7ago
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Ken Griffey Jr. returns to the Mariners

Postby CadensDad » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:45 am

AJC said he was coming to ATL, guess they where wrong again......... Peavy, Furcal, Burnett, Griffey, Smoltz there was just wayyyyyy too many bad reports coming out of the AJC this year, very bad reporting, good signing my the M's tho

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby moochman » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:49 am

Can a guy really go home to a place he once left to go home (Cincy)?

I hope he does well. Not sure how much support he will get and if they will stick with him should he start of cold. Prolly could lock him down for 20/75/270 if he stays healthy enough.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby daullaz » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:56 am

CadensDad wrote:AJC said he was coming to ATL, guess they where wrong again......... Peavy, Furcal, Burnett, Griffey, Smoltz there was just wayyyyyy too many bad reports coming out of the AJC this year, very bad reporting, good signing my the M's tho

Not only that, but sources say one of the main reasons that drew Griffey away from Atlanta was the AJC reporting it was a done deal. He supposedly felt affronted that they were treating the situation like his mind was made up and he was only paying lip service to the Mariners. This ended up souring Griffey on Atlanta.

If this is true, it's time to start firing people at the AJC.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby Another Blown Save » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:18 am

Edmonds > Griffey
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby SecretAgentMan » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:31 am

Like the brittle one has any real fantasy value in a std mixed league? He now goes to a pitcher's park and one of the worst teams in the AL. This will likely put some fans in the seats for the M's...that is about it imo. Is this the M's idea of a replacement for Ibanez? I mean are we to take a team seriously that has the following projected lineup now (depending on where Griffey plays):

Active Roster:
C Kenji Johjima
1B Russell Branyan
2B Jose Lopez
SS Yuniesky Betancourt
3B Adrian Beltre
LF Wladimir Balentien\Griffey
CF Franklin Gutierrez\Griffey
RF Ichiro Suzuki\Griffey
DH Jeff Clement\Griffey
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 825)

Postby CadensDad » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:36 am

daullaz wrote:
CadensDad wrote:AJC said he was coming to ATL, guess they where wrong again......... Peavy, Furcal, Burnett, Griffey, Smoltz there was just wayyyyyy too many bad reports coming out of the AJC this year, very bad reporting, good signing my the M's tho

Not only that, but sources say one of the main reasons that drew Griffey away from Atlanta was the AJC reporting it was a done deal. He supposedly felt affronted that they were treating the situation like his mind was made up and he was only paying lip service to the Mariners. This ended up souring Griffey on Atlanta.

If this is true, it's time to start firing people at the AJC.

That makes it even worse, this is just sad. I understand wanting to "break news" but this has been too much. I hope Griffey does awesome and shoves it in the AJC's face

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby SecretAgentMan » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:41 am

Like he makes career decisions for multi-millon dollar amounts based on whether some local paper treats him nice? If he does, he is a moron imo. Papers leak and play up stories all the time. That is the business they are in and the guy has been around for nearly 2 decades now...he should know that and not get offended because some reporter maybe hyped up a story a bit or got a leak from an over-zealous Braves employee. I find that hard to believe he would be so petty or so crazy. He likely went back to Seattle because that is where he wanted to go for whatever his motivations are (money, playing time, nostaligia, etc).
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 825)

Postby BigLebowski » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:58 am

Another Blown Save wrote:Edmonds > Griffey

How true. Edmonds is going to be the steal of the year for whomever sign's him. Other than Abreu and what he signed for, Edmonds would be a guy I would target.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 474)

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:27 am

Griffeys value isn't going to be in any numbers. He's a part time player now. Seattle isn't going anywhere this year. Why not bring in a star to teach the kids how to prepare the right way? His gate appeal will be strong. He got a standing ovation when the Reds came here. Just to see him again in a Mariner uniform, will be worth the price of admission. I don't blame him for being upset. I would be too, if it was reported i was going to sign, when i was still deciding. Willie Mays called him and told him his legacy was in Seattle, he should go back. As far as fantasy value, i think it's higher with him in Seattle versus Atlanta. He now can dh some, giving him more abs.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers