Poll: Eligible players - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Cold Stove League

Poll: Eligible players

Moderators: smoovethug, RocketsDWM

Should we use...

The restrictive list (players only added to database when called up the majors)
36%
The unrestrictive list (players added to the database at Yahoo's discretion)
64%

Total votes : 11

Re: Poll: Eligible players

Postby WickedSmaat » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:54 pm

Fade2White12 wrote:
WickedSmaat wrote:The only thing wrong with yours then is if we use the Restricted database as player you can draft in the MLB draft, Price (as an example) is available. It's pretty much what I've been outlining anyways....

If we do a minors draft this year, and use 130/50 eligibility requirements, we are no longer limited to the restricted database. You cannot draft a <130/50 player in the MLB draft -> all under 130/50 can only be drafted in the MiLB draft -> any player under the limit not drafted (but is in the database) is available to anyone on the WW. After the top 60 prospects are gone, there will be little chance any of the problems I outlined before would be encountered as any of the worthwhile prospects to hoard will already be claimed on another's farm system.

But I don't see why we wouldn't be able to draft anyone 0 < x < 130/50 in the MLB draft. What's the problem with that? Why does that make the MiLB draft useless? I mean I really don't understand the "problem" that you see. If the problem is that someone can draft a player that's < 130/50 in the MLB draft and try to stick them in their MiLB roster, than this is the solution I said earlier:
So think of it as 2 seperate rosters. Farm and Active. Farm can go to Active, but not vice-versa.
Drafted in MLB draft, but 0 < x < 130/50 = Active Roster, can't be put on farm (and can't draft anyone without MLB experience)
Drafted in MiLB draft, but < 130/50 = Farm Roster, can be activated at any time but once limit reached, forced to active or dropped

Forgive me for reiterating things, I'm just trying to understand what you feel the problem with drafting rookie eligible players in the draft.
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:58 pm

WickedSmaat wrote:
Fade2White12 wrote:
WickedSmaat wrote:The only thing wrong with yours then is if we use the Restricted database as player you can draft in the MLB draft, Price (as an example) is available. It's pretty much what I've been outlining anyways....

If we do a minors draft this year, and use 130/50 eligibility requirements, we are no longer limited to the restricted database. You cannot draft a <130/50 player in the MLB draft -> all under 130/50 can only be drafted in the MiLB draft -> any player under the limit not drafted (but is in the database) is available to anyone on the WW. After the top 60 prospects are gone, there will be little chance any of the problems I outlined before would be encountered as any of the worthwhile prospects to hoard will already be claimed on another's farm system.

But I don't see why we wouldn't be able to draft anyone 0 < x < 130/50 in the MLB draft. What's the problem with that? Why does that make the MiLB draft useless? I mean I really don't understand the "problem" that you see. If the problem is that someone can draft a player that's < 130/50 in the MLB draft and try to stick them in their MiLB roster, than this is the solution I said earlier:
So think of it as 2 seperate rosters. Farm and Active. Farm can go to Active, but not vice-versa.
Drafted in MLB draft, but 0 < x < 130/50 = Active Roster, can't be put on farm (and can't draft anyone without MLB experience)
Drafted in MiLB draft, but < 130/50 = Farm Roster, can be activated at any time but once limit reached, forced to active or dropped

Forgive me for reiterating things, I'm just trying to understand what you feel the problem with drafting rookie eligible players in the draft.

because a player cannot be eligible for both drafts. it essentially just makes the minor league draft rounds 25-30 instead of a minor league draft. im over this like everyone else said.

make it simple. no minor leagues ever. everyone is eligible. its getting out of hand now.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fade2White12 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:02 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:because a player cannot be eligible for both drafts. it essentially just makes the minor league draft rounds 25-30 instead of a minor league draft. im over this like everyone else said.

make it simple. no minor leagues ever. everyone is eligible. its getting out of hand now.

Simple ftw.

Let's just keep the draft going.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Postby WickedSmaat » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:15 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:because a player cannot be eligible for both drafts. it essentially just makes the minor league draft rounds 25-30 instead of a minor league draft. im over this like everyone else said.

I'm not saying that you can draft ANYONE in the MiLB draft, that would mean 25-30...

And if you're worried about players being eligible in both drafts, make them separate drafts and not coinciding. You're seriously talking 2 prospects out of the 60 that would most likely be drafted(or even wanted) in the MLB draft.

The ideas I've given aren't complicated at all...

I'm just going to hold off now until I know for sure that we're either doing a MiLB system or not.
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:56 pm

WickedSmaat wrote:

I'm not saying that you can draft ANYONE in the MiLB draft, that would mean 25-30...

And if you're worried about players being eligible in both drafts, make them separate drafts and not coinciding. You're seriously talking 2 prospects out of the 60 that would most likely be drafted(or even wanted) in the MLB draft.

The ideas I've given aren't complicated at all...

I'm just going to hold off now until I know for sure that we're either doing a MiLB system or not.

not true. if i have the last pick in the 23rd round of the major league draft, i would much rather have neftali feliz or someone like that than a pedro feliz or carlos ruiz. then i would just stash the minor league player on my farm, and pick up a feliz or ruiz anyway. with that system, there are too many loopholes.

either way, a decision needs to be made very soon.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RocketsDWM » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:23 pm

And I have made a decision. I know Fezzik and others (including myself) might be put at a disadvantage but I think it is the best route to go.

1) A minor league draft will not take place. I wanted to postpone that draft until next year so we could avoid all of this. By the time we hash out all of the details of a minor league draft, it will be the beginning of the season. So lets institute a minor league system next year and figure that out in the off-season. There will still be plenty of prospects to choose from in that pool.

2) We will use the unrestricted list. Thus, the top prospects who are currently in the Yahoo database are eligible. Could someone clarify this for me: If a prospect, who is not currently in the unrestricted database, is called up during the season, is that player placed on waivers? Using the unrestricted list, no ones plans will be foiled or altered.

3) All players drafted can be kept as one of your 10 keepers and can be kept for the four year period. I thought about cutting it to two years for players under the eligibility mark but let's keep this simple and straight-forward. ;-D

I think that covers it. Fezzik and others - I apologize for not making this clear from the beginning. I was not aware of the new Yahoo option of either an unrestricted or restricted list and when I set up the league I went with the regular setting. I hope this has not altered anyone's drafting plans. Now we all have an equal shot at nabbing those top prospects.

Hopefully this stop in the action hasnt affected anyones interest in the league. With this being the first year of this keeper,it is expected to have these speed bumps.

I will re-open the draft thread and we will continue. Thanks, everyone, for your patience during this detour.
;-D
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby Grounded Polo » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:27 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:All players drafted can be kept as one of your 10 keepers and can be kept for the four year period. I thought about cutting it to two years for players under the eligibility mark but let's keep this simple and straight-forward. ;-D

I thought it was unlimited or was this something agreed upon in here? I'm not going to pretend I read any posts in here.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby RocketsDWM » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:35 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:All players drafted can be kept as one of your 10 keepers and can be kept for the four year period. I thought about cutting it to two years for players under the eligibility mark but let's keep this simple and straight-forward. ;-D

I thought it was unlimited or was this something agreed upon in here? I'm not going to pretend I read any posts in here.

Yes, this was previously agreed upon. Keepers can only be kept for four years.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby Fade2White12 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:05 pm

Not that I want to cause a ruckus or anything, but the above post was also the first time that I heard about the 4 year keeper limit. I thought we determined there would be no round penalty, or contracts, or anything of the like - but 10 unlimited keepers. Now, if this was decided upon by everyone, that's fine by me, but this is the first time I've heard this.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Postby fezzik » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:15 pm

I remember there being some discussion about term limits for keepers...4 years was what was posted earlier in the thread after there was some resistance to no term limits...if there were no term limits, I would have taken Hamels over Peavy last round. So it has definitely been affecting my drafting...
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Cold Stove League