Poll: Eligible players - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Cold Stove League

Poll: Eligible players

Moderators: smoovethug, RocketsDWM

Should we use...

The restrictive list (players only added to database when called up the majors)
36%
The unrestrictive list (players added to the database at Yahoo's discretion)
64%

Total votes : 11

Re: Poll: Eligible players

Postby WickedSmaat » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:10 am

If we don't have a minors draft for this year, my vote will change to unrestricted.

Fade2White12 wrote:At this point, I'm starting to become indifferent about the entire subject.

If we allow anyone to be drafted and kept, then I rather not institute a MiLB draft this year or next, or ever! There's going to be that guy who is in 12th place, or close, who will drop 2-3+ bench players and pick up some prospects on the oft chance that they are called up and dominate (ala Alexei, Longoria, etc.) and/or use them to as final keepers. As a result, our first inaugural minors draft will be a shell of what it could be - what a waste.

I vote consistency. If you all are going to vote for the unrestricted database, then it should stay that way for the duration of this league.

This goes with my post in the commentary. What's the difference if there's 5 guys missing from the prospects draft? I don't know if you have had the chance to grasp how vast the MiLB system is. Just to put some perspective, I'm in a Dynasty league that's running into it's 4th year, it's a 16 team league, and we have a 10 round MiLB draft every year. 160 players a year, with probably an average depth of 25 players per team that are still in their active minors. That's about 400 players, AND there's still guys that sneak through into the FA pool that come out of no where that weren't on a guy's MiLB roster. It sounds like some of you don't want to be that deep, and I'm totally fine with that, it's just that I was still getting solid prospects in the 8th round of my MiLB draft this year. If we have just a 5 round MiLB draft, we're hardly cracking the top 50, which btw doesn't always translate to MLB success at all. I'm still stuck with my first ever 1st rounder Ryan Sheely. The guy was a masher, but I can't wait to drop him without a cap hit this year.

I don't see a problem with someone grabbing a guy like David Price in September and wanting to keep him even if he's under the limit.

And this is all under the assumption that we're even going to have a MiLB system implemented for 2010.
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Fade2White12 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:31 am

I all too well know the depth of the minor leagues. Hard not to when there are 5x as many MiLB teams than MLB teams.. :-°

But my argument isn't based on depth. I could care less if we don't scratch the surface of the minors. I care about the completeness of a MiLB draft. I believe that if we are going to implement one, I think it should be a true draft - not a whatever's-left-at-the-end-of-the-MLB-draft-but-under-the-limit draft. At that point, it simply adds bodies to our rosters and loses the added dynamics of what farm systems in fantasy really bring to the table.

But really, I'll just go with what is decided, as I'm obviously in the minority here. :-b
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WickedSmaat » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:27 pm

Fade2White12 wrote:I all too well know the depth of the minor leagues. Hard not to when there are 5x as many MiLB teams than MLB teams.. :-°

But my argument isn't based on depth. I could care less if we don't scratch the surface of the minors. I care about the completeness of a MiLB draft. I believe that if we are going to implement one, I think it should be a true draft - not a whatever's-left-at-the-end-of-the-MLB-draft-but-under-the-limit draft. At that point, it simply adds bodies to our rosters and loses the added dynamics of what farm systems in fantasy really bring to the table.

But really, I'll just go with what is decided, as I'm obviously in the minority here. :-b

So if you had the chance to draft Price in the MiLB draft if we had one, you would say no to that?

And what do you mean by true draft? Are you suggesting that I'm saying you can only draft guys that have MLB experience but under the 130/50?

I think the best way to do a farm system would be that you can have anyone in your farm system up to their 130/50 limit. Once they hit that you have to either activate them or drop them. Obviously, you can activate the prior to that if you want, but once activated, they can't go back to your farm.Some guys you want to see in action before you would activate them, or if they're just getting a cup o coffee in september it might not be a bad idea to let em stay until next year. I believe if you draft a guy with MLB experience but under the 130/50 in the MLB draft, you can't put him in your farm system. I don't see why there shouldn't be dual eligibility. I mean maybe I'd want 2 guys, Ryan Tucker and Edwar Ramirez, both have MLB experience, both under the limits. I draft Edwar in my last round and I target Tucker later in the MiLB draft. I can keep Tucker in my farm right away but since I drafted Ramirez in the MLB draft, he can't qualify to be put into my farm because he'd be considered on my active roster.

So think of it as 2 seperate rosters. Farm and Active. Farm can go to Active, but not vice-versa.
Drafted in MLB draft, but 0 < x < 130/50 = Active Roster, can't be put on farm (and can't draft anyone without MLB experience)
Drafted in MiLB draft, but < 130/50 = Farm Roster, can be activated at any time but once limit reached, forced to active or dropped

From what I read it sounds like you're against that, if you are can I ask for you to share why?
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Fade2White12 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:48 pm

My premise is extremely simple.

To me, the function of a MiLB draft is the drafting of minor league players (novel huh? :-b), or prospects, or rookie eligible players (whatever term you like). SO, if we are going to have a MiLB draft, all prospects should only be available in that draft. Under 130/50 = no MLB draft = only MiLB draft).

If that is not how we do it, then to me, a MiLB draft is useless. I rather just have the unrestricted database and be allowed anyone contained within to be drafted.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:30 pm

can i hear people's opinion on not having a minor league draft this year? it seems like everyone who is against it is saying it will just make things too complicated, yet i guess they dont realize we're going to do one after this season anyway.

my 2 proposals.

1. we have a minor league draft starting when we're near the end of our draft. anyone under 130/50 is not eligible to be drafted, only in the minor draft (it worked perfectly fine last year with joba, bruce, rasmus, kershaw, price, etc... there were more than enough prospects for everyone to feel like they were getting their share.)we use reverse order of this deaft and we use the restricted database. if a prospect loses his rookie status during a season, you keep the rights to the player until the end of the season, then you must decide whether to keep the player as one of your 10 keepers or send him back into the free agent pool. without this, i feel as though the waiver system is a joke.

2. we use the unrestricted database and not have a minor league draft until next year (or never, whatever.) everyone can be drafted or stashed. thats it.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Fade2White12 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:13 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:1. we have a minor league draft starting when we're near the end of our draft. anyone under 130/50 is not eligible to be drafted, only in the minor draft (it worked perfectly fine last year with joba, bruce, rasmus, kershaw, price, etc... there were more than enough prospects for everyone to feel like they were getting their share.)we use reverse order of this deaft and we use the restricted database. if a prospect loses his rookie status during a season, you keep the rights to the player until the end of the season, then you must decide whether to keep the player as one of your 10 keepers or send him back into the free agent pool. without this, i feel as though the waiver system is a joke.

That's what I propose. One of the Dynasty leagues both Snakes and I are in used this last year for our first MiLB draft. We couldn't draft a variety of big name rookies last year, yet everything went seamlessly.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

Postby WickedSmaat » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:31 pm

Fade2White12 wrote:My premise is extremely simple.

To me, the function of a MiLB draft is the drafting of minor league players (novel huh? :-b), or prospects, or rookie eligible players (whatever term you like). SO, if we are going to have a MiLB draft, all prospects should only be available in that draft. Under 130/50 = no MLB draft = only MiLB draft).

If that is not how we do it, then to me, a MiLB draft is useless. I rather just have the unrestricted database and be allowed anyone contained within to be drafted.

I guess I just don't see the problem with being able to draft a guy like Price in the MLB draft and then because of that you would dismiss the whole premise of the MiLB draft.

Seriously, http://projectprospect.com/article/2008 ... t-rankings
6 guys have MLB experience and I would welcome you to draft them in the MLB draft and a couple of them aren't even eligible anymore. There's such a small % of the top prospects that even have MLB experience for you to write it off is laughable...
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Fade2White12 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:48 pm

Like I've already stated, I could really care less about making a dent in the minor leagues.

Obviously what I view as a problem is something that you don't. That's not "laughable." That's simply a philosophical difference we both share. But I hereby sequester myself, as I've said repeatedly that I'll just go with the flow.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

Postby WickedSmaat » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:19 pm

Fade2White12 wrote:Like I've already stated, I could really care less about making a dent in the minor leagues.

Obviously what I view as a problem is something that you don't. That's not "laughable." That's simply a philosophical difference we both share. But I hereby sequester myself, as I've said repeatedly that I'll just go with the flow.

The only thing wrong with yours then is if we use the Restricted database as player you can draft in the MLB draft, Price (as an example) is available. It's pretty much what I've been outlining anyways....

I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks about this, and I'm saying about what's happening next year as it seems that we're going to skip the minors this year.
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Fade2White12 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:27 pm

WickedSmaat wrote:The only thing wrong with yours then is if we use the Restricted database as player you can draft in the MLB draft, Price (as an example) is available. It's pretty much what I've been outlining anyways....

If we do a minors draft this year, and use 130/50 eligibility requirements, we are no longer limited to the restricted database. You cannot draft a <130/50 player in the MLB draft -> all under 130/50 can only be drafted in the MiLB draft -> any player under the limit not drafted (but is in the database) is available to anyone on the WW. After the top 60 prospects are gone, there will be little chance any of the problems I outlined before would be encountered as any of the worthwhile prospects to hoard will already be claimed on another's farm system.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Cold Stove League