Kila Ka'aihue: Will he start in 09? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kila Ka'aihue: Will he start in 09?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Kila Ka'aihue: Will he start in 09?

Postby GHirsch516 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:17 pm

Im looking to roll the dice on a transitional/foundation player in my dynasty league. Ive been toying with the posibility of going with Kila Ka'aihue. But today I heard Mike Jacobs signed a 1 year deal with KC. Now Im not so sure if hes going to see any playing time with Butler and Jacobs and Id hate to have a wasted keeper slot. Any thoughts?
GHirsch516
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Kila Ka'aihue: Will he start in 09?

Postby silverZ » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:03 pm

I dont see him getting much playing time with Butler and Jacobs but you never know.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby stevethumb » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:14 pm

yes, he will definitely start...........

......at AAA Omaha

i see the guy as a AAAA, you know a tweener

and the royals traded leo nunez for jacobs back in october..the recent signing was deciding his arbitration contract
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Tavish » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:47 am

Besides Butler and Jacobs, he also has Shealy to get through. Even Kila did getting time starting at the major leagues you would still likely be wasting a keeper spot. He can take a walk (if your leagues count them), but there isn't much other fantasy value there.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Niffoc4 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:46 am

I don't even know if the Royals believe in him right now. They actually put more (though not really better)players in his way this year. He wouldn't be a bad pick LATE in a dynasty draft, but don't have too high of expecations. I would have liked to see him and Shealy duel for the 1B position this year.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby Inukchuk » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:39 am

Tavish wrote: He can take a walk (if your leagues count them), but there isn't much other fantasy value there.

I think there's more than just potential with BBs. He hit 37 HR in around 400 AB last year. I happen to find his newfound power quite intriguing...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby webhead05 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:37 pm

Inukchuk wrote:
Tavish wrote: He can take a walk (if your leagues count them), but there isn't much other fantasy value there.

I think there's more than just potential with BBs. He hit 37 HR in around 400 AB last year. I happen to find his newfound power quite intriguing...

I agree....he showed some power last season but as stated earlier, there is just too much in his way for him to be a starter to begin the season. He could potentially platoon at the DH position but my gut tells me he'll start the season at AAA. Jacobs only signed a one year deal and it's pretty much make or break time for Butler and/or Shealy. I would expect Kila to pop back up in September though if not sooner.
webhead05
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Niffoc4 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:48 pm

webhead05 wrote:
Inukchuk wrote:

I agree....he showed some power last season but as stated earlier, there is just too much in his way for him to be a starter to begin the season. He could potentially platoon at the DH position but my gut tells me he'll start the season at AAA. Jacobs only signed a one year deal and it's pretty much make or break time for Butler and/or Shealy. I would expect Kila to pop back up in September though if not sooner.
I sure hope the Royals don't think its make or break time for Butler... he's like 23, and has hit for good averages each year! True for jacobs and Shealy though.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby B-Chad » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:39 am

I certainly think he's worth rolling the dice on if you are filling out the bottom couple spots on your roster. Sure he has plenty in front of him, but the fact is, sometimes it's best to draft talent and not worry about playing time. Ultimately you have to figure if he mashes AAA pitching like he did last year (albeit in a limited sample since most of his work was done in AA), and Jacobs proves to be a low batting average power guy with a bad glove he'll get a look at somepoint. It's important to note that even though Shealy is currently in his way, he is out of options, so if the Royals don't think he's worth keeping on the active roster, he'll likely be designated for assignment and claimed by another team, clearing one hurdle.

Though Ka'aihue never really showed much power before last year, it's hard to ignore his numbers last year, and the patient eye has always been there. I play in a shallow keeper league and intend on rolling the dice with my last pick just because with a patient eye like his, if he really has found his power he'll be a sneaky contributor this year. That's just my two cents, hope it helped.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Inukchuk » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:38 am

Well said. That about sums up my feelings as well... ;-D
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers