2 Up, 2 Down - Relief Pitcher Edition - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Article Discussions

2 Up, 2 Down - Relief Pitcher Edition

Moderators: daullaz, Baseball Moderators

Re: 2 Up, 2 Down - Relief Pitcher Edition

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:09 pm

i think the ups were definitely good choices, and the two downs are pretty difficult to pick for the RP article as i don't really feel many are being overdrafted (the whole don't pay for a closer thing). i think k-rod and lidge are fine choices when compared to the other options, i just don't think any of the options are that great.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2 Up, 2 Down - Relief Pitcher Edition

Postby Big Pimpin » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:26 pm

WaCougMBS wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:I like Marmol a lot as a pitcher, but I have the feeling that he's going to be a MR this year and Gregg is going to close.

I have been hearing this a lot around here, and it perplexes me a little bit - I'm all ears if I'm off base, but this just doesn't make much sense to me. Everywhere has Marmol slotted as the closer, and even with the moderately high success Gregg showed in Florida for the last 2 years, I don't see Pinella using Marmol as a setup guy for the whole season. Might Gregg steal some opportunities from him so he doesn't top 80 appearances? Absolutely. I just don't see how he won't be the closer for the overwhelming majority of the year B-)

Either way, thanks for the read! What'd ya think of the rest of 'em? :-?

Sorry for the late response. !+)

I like the rest of them. ;-D I still have Lidge and KRod in my top 5, but I think they're closer to Soria and Papa Grande than Paps, Nathan, and Mo. I'm pretty unlikely to end up with any of them, but you never know... :-D

As far as the Cubs situation, I just have this feeling that Lou is happy with Marmol being his high-leverage reliever that can get the tough outs and pitch two innings if necessary. Dealing for Gregg just screams "We want a ninth inning guy so we'll go get him" to me. It just seems like if they just wanted a new setup guy for Marmol, they would have gone and found one of those instead of trading for a guy who's spent the last two years closing, you know?

Maybe I'm completely wrong and Marmol will end up closing, I'm just not counting on it. :-)
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Article Discussions