Championship? Please Rate, WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Championship? Please Rate, WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Championship? Please Rate, WHIR

Postby qnzbro2k » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:13 am

12 Team H2H Yahoo with Standard Cats

C-Sandoval
1B-C.Pena
2B-Utley
3B-A-Rod
SS-Jeter
OF-Manny
OF-Ludwick
OF-Damon
Ut-Taveras
Bn-J.Drew

SP-Halladay
SP-Oswalt
RP-Papelbon
RP-Wood
P-Hoffman
P-F.Francisco
P-Ziegler
Bn-Lowe
Bn-R.Johnson
Bn-Lilly
Bn-Smoltz

I hate having 3 Yankees in my starting lineup, but those guys fell into my lap. I like my pitching. Also glad I get to stash Smoltz on the DL and reap the benefits later on. Any ideas on what I should do?
11' Outlook:
AL CY: Jon Lester
NL CY: Roy Halladay
AL MVP: Alex Rodriguez
NL MVP: Troy Tulowitski
qnzbro2k
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Championship? Please Rate, WHIR

Postby Tenacious D-Store » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:46 am

Yankees have a good strong team this season. I'm not a fan either , but if I'm only going to draft players I am a fan of I might as well collect baseball cards instead. It's a decent team over all but you focused to heavily on pitching and your outfield suffered. Ludwick is a nice sleeper option, people clearly aren't taking his 2008 season very seriously, but those numbers and a solid BA to boot is a tough thing to fluke. He may not have been a top prospect but he could very easily be a top outfielder anyway. Even with Damon being on the serious decline, he'll find a way to get on base and someone is bound to get him home often enough for him to perform as an adequate #3 outfielder. You can't steal 1st base so I don't see a lot of value in Willy Taveras who will be fighting for playing time and could just be a pair of legs off the bench. Who knows what's going on with JD Drew, Francona sez that he's very concerned about his physical condition, and than starts back peddling trying to down play what ever is going on with Drew's back. I don't think there's much value there. There's no Adam Lind or Travis Snider, even a Matt Joyce available? I have little faith in the .240 hitting Pena at first either I would recommend packaging him with a pitcher but it's a rather funny situation you found yourself in. It looks like you took two starters and two closers rather early and then let the rest fall rather late... too late. Either that or you over-value Randy Johnson and John Smoltz. At least Lowe well provide you with quality starts and a low WHIP even if it comes with nest to no strikeouts. It's not a horrible team but not a serious contender for a 12 team league. Since Taveras will have limited playing time and rarely find his way in to your line up you will struggle with SB, and a lower than desirable team BA (there are some guys that will salvage the damage guys like Pena will do). You don't have enough depth to pull any trades that will help much without creating other large holes. Unless you pull off some spectacular FA moves or trade where you basically rip someone off , you will probably finish middle of the pack.
Tenacious D-Store
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby siQ_innovation » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:28 am

Starting pitching is going to be your Achilles heel unless you can get another ace or tier-2 SP.

Props to RyanK for the Sig.
siQ_innovation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Luckskywalker7 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:43 am

I like your team. I think you could use maybe another SP or so but your offense looks great.
Luckskywalker7
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Kuji » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:12 am

Your big offense can fix your decent pitching staff. I'd trade one of your guys (Manny or one of the Yankee guys you hate?) for quality pitching.
Kuji
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby qnzbro2k » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:45 pm

Why the RJ hate? He had decent numbers last season, now he's moving to an extreme pitchers park, I'll enjoy his ratios. Smoltz was grabbed as my last pick so nothing was lost there. I'm considering chopping Drew for Hafner. The only reason i drafted Taveras was for SB's and Baker will keep him as the leadoff man. Frenchy, Crisp, Hermida, Snider, and Bourn are all out there.
11' Outlook:
qnzbro2k
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tenacious D-Store » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:55 pm

I admit it I have some RJ hate, and if he ever read my column he would probably have sued me by now as I have said some rather unflattering things about him in the past. Every season I go off about how he is going to kill his legacy by being too foolish to know when to hang them up, but every season he is adequate as a bottom of the rotation guy in fantasy without even really missing all that much time. He's bionic or something. I won't scoff at Smoltz as a last round flier, but how much could the Unit really have left in the tank? I would take a shot on Snider to beef that OF a bit. Overbay's attitude and evident lack of effort from last season is going to get him released from the Jays. Clearly he doesn't want to be there much anyway. That would probably get Lind moved over to 1st base keeping Snider at LF. Lind will probably mostly DH prior to that anyway, giving Snider the majority of the field play anyway. Either way he should be an everyday man.
Last edited by Tenacious D-Store on Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tenacious D-Store
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby JRAMI » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:38 pm

the only thing I think you might want to consider is maybe trading for a backup 2B JUST in case Utley doesnt come back as strong and has problems. I am looking to draft him in my leagye but I am making sure I draft a worthy backup JUSt in case things go bad with him. Most teams are getting him late rounds right now so it is at a "discount: might be something you should consider
I like the RJ and Smoltz pick ups.

please help
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=367979
JRAMI
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JRAMI » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:45 am

I posted an answer to this members question and he never replied back with an answer to mine. Just thought this would be helpful information for anyone else who responds to his question thinking they will get an answer, yes this is one of "those guys" who put WHIR and never help.
JRAMI
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby qnzbro2k » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:16 am

^^^ Dude don't get butt hurt. I haven't been on the forum all day yesterday. I answered your thread, go check it out. ;-D
11' Outlook:
qnzbro2k
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team