FBC Community Top 20 Ranking - SP #18 Cliff Lee - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

FBC Community Top 20 Ranking - SP #18 Cliff Lee

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

#18

Zack Greinke
28
27%
Edinson Volquez
1
1%
Rich Harden
5
5%
John Lester
15
15%
Daisuke Matsuzaka
7
7%
Carlos Zambrano
2
2%
AJ Burnett
3
3%
Yovani Gallardo
8
8%
Cliff Lee
32
31%
Other (please specify)
1
1%
 
Total votes : 102

Re: FBC Community Top 20 Ranking - SP Rank #18

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:40 pm

auclairkeithbc wrote:This is so close, we should call it for #18 and #19. I know at the 80 vote mark Lee was up by 3 votes. Now Greinke is up by 1 vote. It certainly seems close enough to skip to SP #20, as we've done for the other close votes.


Lester isn't that far behind to make the second in the poll the automatic #19, IMO.
Image

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21946
(Past Year: 674)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Downloading rice

Re: FBC Community Top 20 Ranking - SP Rank #18

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:25 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
auclairkeithbc wrote:This is so close, we should call it for #18 and #19. I know at the 80 vote mark Lee was up by 3 votes. Now Greinke is up by 1 vote. It certainly seems close enough to skip to SP #20, as we've done for the other close votes.


Lester isn't that far behind to make the second in the poll the automatic #19, IMO.

If Lee gets in ahead of Greinke OR Lester, there is a problem.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24818
(Past Year: 351)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: FBC Community Top 20 Ranking - SP Rank #18

Postby MasterX1918 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:31 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
auclairkeithbc wrote:This is so close, we should call it for #18 and #19. I know at the 80 vote mark Lee was up by 3 votes. Now Greinke is up by 1 vote. It certainly seems close enough to skip to SP #20, as we've done for the other close votes.


Lester isn't that far behind to make the second in the poll the automatic #19, IMO.

yeah we'd need to do another poll for #19. I'm sure alot of the Greinke voters would vote for Lester (i.e me).
Image
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 2150
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 13 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: FBC Community Top 20 Ranking - SP Rank #18

Postby auclairkeithbc » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:56 pm

Well, let's call this for C.Lee then. I'm sure there aren't a lot of people that didn't vote for Greinke that have him next.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3181
Joined: 5 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: FBC Community Top 20 Ranking - SP Rank #18

Postby WaCougMBS » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:58 pm

Book it for Greinke and move on to Lee? I'm guessing we'll wait, cause it's close, but I doubt we will have too many more rankers for this one and it's been a while since we had a new one. We going to 25 on SPs?

We should also start a top-25-ish RP pretty soon IMO ;-D
Image
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

User avatar
Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 7201
(Past Year: 12)
Joined: 29 May 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Guardedly optimistic

Re: FBC Community Top 20 Ranking - SP Rank #18

Postby RotoCowboy » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:26 pm

I wonder if there are any projection services that have either Greinke or Lester ahead of Cliff Lee. I know there are a few here that see some sort of way that one of them will be better than Lee without a total Lee collapse, but it's kind of crazy to expect a total and utter collapse like so many here think will happen, directly conflicting with just about every so called expert. Lee needs to be on this list before those two that will not K many more guys, will not have better ERAs or WHIPs and will certainly have less Ws.
RotoCowboy
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 105
Joined: 11 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: FBC Community Top 20 Ranking - SP Rank #18

Postby Yoda » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:39 pm

RotoCowboy wrote:I wonder if there are any projection services that have either Greinke or Lester ahead of Cliff Lee. I know there are a few here that see some sort of way that one of them will be better than Lee without a total Lee collapse, but it's kind of crazy to expect a total and utter collapse like so many here think will happen, directly conflicting with just about every so called expert. Lee needs to be on this list before those two that will not K many more guys, will not have better ERAs or WHIPs and will certainly have less Ws.


I don't see him totally collapsing. He was a good pitcher a few years back so he does have a history of success. However, I don't think that you can expect him to repeat 08.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: FBC Community Top 20 Ranking - SP Rank #18

Postby RotoCowboy » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:59 pm

But putting him at 18 isn't expecting a repeat. If people were thinking repeat, he'd be in the discussion for #1. No one is thinking that. Does he have a better chance of getting those numbers than Greinke or Lester...of course, but none of them have a high likelihood of matching Lee's 2008 numbers. It isn't very deep thinking to assume 2008 was a total fluke, and then look up a solid year from his past and assume that is now what to expect (conveniently minus the wins).

It seems like a decent amount of people here are ignoring last year a little too much. And it's not like Greinke and Lester are locks to be under 4.00 - I've seen quite a few projections around or over 4.00 for each of them. I could understand Gallardo or someone with real upside like that. I just don't understand going after fairly risky minimal upside guys.
RotoCowboy
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 105
Joined: 11 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: FBC Community Top 20 Ranking - SP Rank #18

Postby Yoda » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:01 pm

RotoCowboy wrote:But putting him at 18 isn't expecting a repeat. If people were thinking repeat, he'd be in the discussion for #1. No one is thinking that. Does he have a better chance of getting those numbers than Greinke or Lester...of course, but none of them have a high likelihood of matching Lee's 2008 numbers. It isn't very deep thinking to assume 2008 was a total fluke, and then look up a solid year from his past and assume that is now what to expect (conveniently minus the wins).

It seems like a decent amount of people here are ignoring last year a little too much. And it's not like Greinke and Lester are locks to be under 4.00 - I've seen quite a few projections around or over 4.00 for each of them. I could understand Gallardo or someone with real upside like that. I just don't understand going after fairly risky minimal upside guys.


FWIW, Greinke's upside is just as high if not higher than Gallardo's. You can also argue that Lester's upside is very high as well.

I understand what you are saying though. Lee does seem like he is getting lumped into the Esteban Loaiza category which is completely unfair.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: FBC Community Top 20 Ranking - SP Rank #18

Postby RotoCowboy » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:04 pm

Well Gallardo is 2 1/2 years younger than Greinke and has already shown a better ability to strikeout batters and limit baserunners.
RotoCowboy
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 105
Joined: 11 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Oct. 2
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Detroit at Baltimore
(5:37 pm)
Kansas City at LA Angels
(9:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact