good rankings for h2h format? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

good rankings for h2h format?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: good rankings for h2h format?

Postby J.C.Fighter » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:56 pm

I dont understand this punt steals talk. So guys like Kemp, Hart , Dukes shouldn't be taken or something..
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fezzik » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:54 pm

J.C.Fighter wrote:I dont understand this punt steals talk. So guys like Kemp, Hart , Dukes shouldn't be taken or something..

I wouldn't suggest to outright punt steals...but it can be done. And you can still win your H2H league if you do so without a huge problem if you drafted for the other offensive categories well. In a H2H league I usually end up with a team that gets about 60-70% of the league average for steals...so if the average team in the leauge gets 110 SB's on the season from their starters, I get around 70. This is usually enough to win the category around 25% of the time, lose it 65% of the time, and tie 10% of the time. As long as I drafted for the other hitting categories well, I should more than make up for those loses by winning more than my fair share of them.

In roto finishing in the bottom third in a category has a larger negative effect...
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby TheRock » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:31 pm

J.C.Fighter wrote:I dont understand this punt steals talk. So guys like Kemp, Hart , Dukes shouldn't be taken or something..

Nothing saying you should punt steals, just that it is one viable strategy that can work in h2h, but often proves disastrous in roto. Or you could punt W's and K's, and play only elite closers, winning ERA, WHIP, and saves every week. Or play every closer you can find, stream as many pitchers through your roster in a week as you can and punt ERA and WHIP.

Point is depending on the exact setup of your league, you need to see how best to approach the league. This dramatically changes which players you want to target. If you don't have a particular plan in mind other than field a good team, draft more or less how you would for roto and you'll at least be competitive most weeks.

One of the frustrations many have about h2h leagues is they often end up being more about who can best exploit the system, not who makes the best decisions about players. :-/
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby fezzik » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:44 am

TheRock wrote:

Nothing saying you should punt steals, just that it is one viable strategy that can work in h2h, but often proves disastrous in roto. Or you could punt W's and K's, and play only elite closers, winning ERA, WHIP, and saves every week. Or play every closer you can find, stream as many pitchers through your roster in a week as you can and punt ERA and WHIP.

Point is depending on the exact setup of your league, you need to see how best to approach the league. This dramatically changes which players you want to target. If you don't have a particular plan in mind other than field a good team, draft more or less how you would for roto and you'll at least be competitive most weeks.

One of the frustrations many have about h2h leagues is they often end up being more about who can best exploit the system, not who makes the best decisions about players. :-/

Yes...this is exactly it. I never thought weekly lineup changes were for me until I played in a H2H weekly lineup change league...not only was it more fair, but it was equally strategic. ;-D

If someone has a beautiful set of categories that would bypass this problem, please share them...if you play in a daily lineup change league the best that can be done IMO is to play with people you know and agree not to stream pitchers. :-D
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby TheRock » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:57 am

fezzik wrote:Yes...this is exactly it. I never thought weekly lineup changes were for me until I played in a H2H weekly lineup change league...not only was it more fair, but it was equally strategic. ;-D

If someone has a beautiful set of categories that would bypass this problem, please share them...if you play in a daily lineup change league the best that can be done IMO is to play with people you know and agree not to stream pitchers. :-D

You can set a limit either on IP or games started. Sadly, Yahoo! has neither, but in a daily league you can at least set a weekly transaction limit to stop streaming. In h2h 5x5 leagues you also need a minimum IP to stop those that want to punt W's and K's in favor of saves and the ratios.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby fezzik » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:56 am

TheRock wrote:
fezzik wrote:Yes...this is exactly it. I never thought weekly lineup changes were for me until I played in a H2H weekly lineup change league...not only was it more fair, but it was equally strategic. ;-D

You can set a limit either on IP or games started. Sadly, Yahoo! has neither, but in a daily league you can at least set a weekly transaction limit to stop streaming. In h2h 5x5 leagues you also need a minimum IP to stop those that want to punt W's and K's in favor of saves and the ratios.

The limit on IP or games started would definitely do the trick, but as you noted Yahoo! sadly does neither.

I've played with a limit on total transactions for a season, but not a weekly limit...it would probably turn streamers into spot starters. Even if you limited it the number to 3 or 5 per week, it seems like they could be used in a manner that would devalue elite SP's. But I've never tried it, so...

I always have a reasonable minimum IP. ;-D
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers