good rankings for h2h format? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

good rankings for h2h format?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

good rankings for h2h format?

Postby Donkingsfro » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:54 pm

Does anybody have a good free site for h2h rankings? I have seen plenty of roto rankings but I'm wondering how a h2h format would change one's rankings. All help would be greatly appreciated
Donkingsfro
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 186
Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: good rankings for h2h format?

Postby Birds on the Bat » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:04 pm

I can't direct you to specific rankings, but I can tell you the main difference with H2H rankings is that streaky players are less valuable. In roto, a "streaky" player still ends up with the same statistics at the end of the season. But on a week-by-week basis, these kinds of hot-and-cold players can kill you.

Also I think pitching might be less important in H2H. Not that you don't need a good pitching staff, but those categories are more of a crapshoot in head to head. One bad start could ruin your ERA for a week and one 13 strikeout performance by your opponent's starter could be the difference.
Birds on the Bat
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 29
Joined: 14 Dec 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: good rankings for h2h format?

Postby Donkingsfro » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:15 pm

Birds on the Bat wrote:I can't direct you to specific rankings, but I can tell you the main difference with H2H rankings is that streaky players are less valuable. In roto, a "streaky" player still ends up with the same statistics at the end of the season. But on a week-by-week basis, these kinds of hot-and-cold players can kill you.

Also I think pitching might be less important in H2H. Not that you don't need a good pitching staff, but those categories are more of a crapshoot in head to head. One bad start could ruin your ERA for a week and one 13 strikeout performance by your opponent's starter could be the difference.


Yeah I figured that. However, what about somebody like Ryan Howard? Although he is streaky, when he is on, he can completely dominate a couple of categories for you. Does somebody like Howard have more or less value in a h2h league?
Donkingsfro
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 186
Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: good rankings for h2h format?

Postby fezzik » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:20 pm

The fact that you're in a H2H league shouldn't change your rankings much over roto...I would personally devalue SB's a little in H2H due to their inconsistency. Rankings should be determined on two things...projections for players and the scoring categories/settings with which you're playing. The positional rankings on this site are very helpful. If you want to get an idea for how the general population is drafting, the MDP list running around in baseball leftovers is also a very good tool. ;-D
Image
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 2415
Joined: 9 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Inside my head

Re: good rankings for h2h format?

Postby fezzik » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:25 pm

Image
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 2415
Joined: 9 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Inside my head

Re: good rankings for h2h format?

Postby brdmaverick » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:41 pm

fezzik wrote:The fact that you're in a H2H league shouldn't change your rankings much over roto...I would personally devalue SB's a little in H2H due to their inconsistency.


I actually disagree on your point about Stolen Bases. If anything, I think in H2H you should place more value on the premiere base stealers.

Let me put it this way. A great base stealer can get you over 50 SBs. The best home run hitter last year had 48 home runs in a category that can be easy to find depth. There is very little depth at SB, and the best ones are light years ahead of the middle tier. Get the base stealers.
brdmaverick
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 982
Joined: 13 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Re: good rankings for h2h format?

Postby shawngee03 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:20 pm

i suggest punting SBs. its only one cat, and so much value goes into guys who steal bases, that you can 'steal' guys who dont steal bases w good value. to me, guys like reyes are not valuable at all in h2h....sure you will win SBs every week, but who cares, thats only 1 cat. in roto...he has good value bc to win you cant finish last in any cat...so you need steals.

in h2h, you can win without getting 1 SB all year. remember, winning 6-4 is just as good as 10-0(in the playoffs)
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 650
Joined: 6 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Football
Location: H-Town

Re: good rankings for h2h format?

Postby fezzik » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:34 pm

brdmaverick wrote:
fezzik wrote:The fact that you're in a H2H league shouldn't change your rankings much over roto...I would personally devalue SB's a little in H2H due to their inconsistency.


I actually disagree on your point about Stolen Bases. If anything, I think in H2H you should place more value on the premiere base stealers.

Let me put it this way. A great base stealer can get you over 50 SBs. The best home run hitter last year had 48 home runs in a category that can be easy to find depth. There is very little depth at SB, and the best ones are light years ahead of the middle tier. Get the base stealers.


I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. ;-D

IMO your argument is exactly why SB's are more important in roto than H2H... :-b
Image
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 2415
Joined: 9 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Inside my head

Re: good rankings for h2h format?

Postby Bloody Sox » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:26 pm

brdmaverick wrote:
fezzik wrote:The fact that you're in a H2H league shouldn't change your rankings much over roto...I would personally devalue SB's a little in H2H due to their inconsistency.


I actually disagree on your point about Stolen Bases. If anything, I think in H2H you should place more value on the premiere base stealers.

Let me put it this way. A great base stealer can get you over 50 SBs. The best home run hitter last year had 48 home runs in a category that can be easy to find depth. There is very little depth at SB, and the best ones are light years ahead of the middle tier. Get the base stealers.

Couldn't disagree more. If you overvalue steal guys, you are usually hurting yourself in HRs/RBIs. So its a two category for one swap in a H2H matchup. Then think about how those 50 steals are distributed - you'll get an average of 2 per week but in some weeks you'll get 4-5 and others you'll get 1-2. During those weeks you only get 1-2, you'll probably lose the steals category, and likely also lose the HR and RBI categories because you emphasized steals too heavily. During the weeks you get 4-5 steals from that guy, you'll likely win the steals category handily, but still lose the HR and RBI categories. Obviously this is oversimplifying things, but it illustrates why steals should be devalued in H2H.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2148
(Past Year: 18)
Joined: 27 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fenway Park, RF Roof Deck

Re: good rankings for h2h format?

Postby hot4tx » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:55 pm

A few HTH thoughts:

1) While I don't normally plan on punting any categories, it can be done in HTH, as was mentioned earlier.

2) There's a few players that very consistently seem to start hot and then fizzle. Lower their value in HTH, as having a hot start does nothing for you if you get a mediocre player during the playoffs.

3) Likewise there's a few players that always start slow. These guys should be bumped a little, because playoff performance is what really matters (as long as you get there).

4) "Specialists" can be useful. In roto a guy that gives you SBs or HRs but doesn't help you in other stats isn't as useful because when you plug them in you're getting an empty start in most stats. In HTH these guys can be very useful to plug in near the end of the week. If you're up a lot in SBs and batting average, but need a few more HRs maybe you bench Carl Crawford over the weekend and let Cust play. Or maybe you are way ahead in power stats, but behind in steals so you sit Uggla for Weeks.

5) Solid SP depth (a lot of middle round guys) and MRPs can compete with a staff of 1-2 elite SPs and late-round guys. IMO this lowers the value of the elite and top-tier SPs relative to elite hitters.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1933
(Past Year: 147)
Joined: 16 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Jul. 24
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Boston at Toronto
(12:37 pm)
Texas at NY Yankees
(1:05 pm)
San Francisco at Philadelphia
(1:05 pm)
Houston at Oakland
(3:35 pm)
Miami at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
San Diego at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Cleveland at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
NY Mets at Milwaukee
(8:10 pm)
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Detroit at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
Baltimore at Seattle
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact