How does your Franchise Player work? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

How does your Franchise Player work?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How does your Franchise Player work?

Postby Smileyman9 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:21 pm

Just a small bit of background here; I'm part of a straight draft keeper league that's been in existance for about 6 years now that has suddenly opted to go keeper auction.

One of the things we're discussing right now is creating a franchise player tag; So my question is does anyone here have a franchise player tag in their league and how does it work? :-?

Thanks in advance for your input
Smileyman9
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How does your Franchise Player work?

Postby Smileyman9 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:00 pm

Just in case I'm using the wrong terminology;

I guess what I'm seeking is if other keeper-auction leagues have a rule that allows teams to keep one player at either a reduced rate (or something similar)

My league is trying to hammer something out, however opinions are differing in regards to how it should work;
I tend to think that it should help you keep one player for a longer period of time with little to no negative side effect; At least 3 others (commish included) feel otherwise.

The first proposal I gave was that you could give one player the "franchise tag" and it would lower price to keep the one player from +$5 to +$3;
The negative aspect to this was that if you removed the franchise tag from the player, they had to be dropped from your team. You can trade your franchise player, however you cant name a new franchise player until after the next increase.

That was countered with....

the "franchise" tag could be done in a way similar to a player deferring money to allow for their team to go out and spend. if we do have a "franchise" tag that will allow each team to defer the keeper premium for X number of years, after those years have passed the team should owe the premium in full. for example, I franchise joe mauer, it is decided that franchised players can defer their keeper premium for a maximum of 3 seasons, in 2012 whether or not i decide to keep to joe mauer i am responsible for the total of the premium ($9). should a "franchised" player be traded, their total deferred keeper premium should kick in at the start of the following season.

I don't hate that proposal, however I see little use for it since the amount saved by deferral would be minimum until the second or third year at which point in the 4th year you'd be severely handicapped at the draft; To me...that's not even slightly helpful.

My last proposal was that we increase the keeper rate from say $5 to $8 per a season; However we cap the highest price you would have to pay for one player to something in the $40-$55 range (whatever we decide is most reasonable).

Are any of these even remotely close?
Smileyman9
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tavo2311 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:27 pm

I'm in a keeper league with a franchise player type rule, though I don't like it. Personally, I think it is too much of an advantage, but you can decide on your preference. The league background is 12 team keeper, auction/salary cap, can keep up to 10 players, and all of them get raises based on certain different criteria. For the "super keeper" rule as it is called:

- Each team can designate one super keeper
- This player never receives a raise
- This player can NOT be traded at any point
- You can drop the designation at any point by dropping the SK, and then may add to another player right away.
tavo2311
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Smileyman9 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:12 am

Yeah. I can see why the "never receives a raise" thing could really muck things up a bit not to mention can't be traded;

As of right now, things have fallen silent in my league on this front; Mostly because so many other things have to be put in place in order for us to start the season...and our draft is 3 weeks away.
Smileyman9
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Trojan Pony » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:27 am

You're already changing things up a lot by converting a long-standing league to a keeper auction league. Quite a transition. Unless there's a great deal of interest in having a franchise player rule, I would let it go for this year and bring it up next season after you guys have a better grasp of the basic running of the league under the new rules. You can certainly survive without it for a year.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Commissioner's Corner