Auction advice - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Auction advice

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Auction advice

Postby Mike_nyc » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:52 pm

I'm participating in my first auction (slow format). I really think the prices have been out of control early on, and I'm not sure if i should just lay back and let owners go broke. Any feedback on whether i should be in the mix (maybe my values are too low?) or if im ok sitting back right now.

Keeper League
29 roster spots
$320 budget
14 teams
7x7 h2h format (obp & ko's for batters, holds and qs for pitchers)

Some current prices

Sold:
Braun $46
Johan $36
Pujols $57
Longoria $38
Hanley $52

some still out there:
cc $42
grady $56
Reyes $43
arod $44
Wright $45
lincecum $41
Mike_nyc
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Auction advice

Postby stevethumb » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:16 pm

well w/$320 instead of the reg $260 to spend, you would expect prices to be a shade higher but 29 spots to buy instead of the usual 23 cancels much of that out....that being said...
the prices on pujos and sizemore are ridiculous, hanley a lil too much and santana is a bargain at these prices...reyes, a-rod, wright appear correctly priced in this format..i would say that you should open up a little bit for the next coupla stars that you like to try to secure an anchor but if you are uncomfortable w/the prices then sit back and grab 9 or 10 $20-25 players and build a well balanced team
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Mike_nyc » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:25 pm

is it sound logic to say a $40 player in a $260 budget league represents 15% of budget so equate it to a $320 budget would make the equivalent salary $48?
Mike_nyc
College Coach
College Coach

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:27 pm

Mike_nyc wrote:is it sound logic to say a $40 player in a $260 budget league represents 15% of budget so equate it to a $320 budget would make the equivalent salary $48?

If you still have 12 teams that is a good rough estimate. I think the higher end guys will still go for more than you'd predict from converting though, people like to spend $1 on their bench spots,
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Matthias » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:29 pm

No, it isn't. As stevethumb pointed out, you have more players than normal.

The $260 generally represents 23 spots. My experience has been that when you have extra dollars and extra players, the top talent goes for about the same (which is to say that studs should go for the high $40's / low $50's).

I would call Braun and Longoria overpriced, but everyone else looks at market value except for Johan who went for too cheap.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mike_nyc » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:47 pm

thanks - i mean a guy like nolasco is at $25...I pegged him at like $15..I just wanted to make sure my valuations werent too out of reality
Mike_nyc
College Coach
College Coach

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:56 pm

Ah I missed the beginning of the thread. :*)
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mike_nyc » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:57 pm

Matthias wrote:No, it isn't. As stevethumb pointed out, you have more players than normal.

The $260 generally represents 23 spots. My experience has been that when you have extra dollars and extra players, the top talent goes for about the same (which is to say that studs should go for the high $40's / low $50's).

I would call Braun and Longoria overpriced, but everyone else looks at market value except for Johan who went for too cheap.

Thanks for the feedback. Just landed Webb for $35 as my first player. Looks good given Santana went for $36
Mike_nyc
College Coach
College Coach

Postby one ton » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:52 pm

Waiting out the top tier guys is not a bad strategy at all. In auctions it's amazing how many solid players are left when many people have spent most of their money already.

That said, don't take it too far. You can reach a point of diminishing returns where you have more money than you need. It's a little like being the big stack in poker. You have to recognize when it's time to start pushing people around and adjust your bidding accordingly.
one ton
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby SecretAgentMan » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:46 pm

It is typical to see prices inflated early as some owners simply lose control and spend rampantly, esp. if it is a player they want. I generally do not get into the $40+ range in an aution. You have a bit higher of a cap, so you can extrapolate out accordngly. But I do not like to spend big bucks like that and like to get 25-30 dollar guys instead and that usually will happen once teams blow their wad some. Someone wants to spend $50 on Pujols, be my guest.

Bargains will be had later in the auction. The trick is to know when to jump in as if you wait too long you end up either not having the talent you need or get into a situation where their is limited talent around and all of a sudden the bargains disappear as the hold outs like yourself now jump in to get the few remaining studs.

Auctions are about personalities as well as tactics and strategy. One never realy knows when the right time is. I usually have a goal of getting some talented players and the prices they are worth. You need talent to win after all. It is a balancing act and it is fine to spend $36 on Santana if you want a stud pitcher. It is fine going an extra couple of bucks on someone you really want early. It is not fine to badly overpay for anyone nor is it a good idea to bid large on players you are not targeting. I have often seen players bid to drive the price up and go too far and get stuck wih a $30 player they really did not want and it messes up their strategy., Do not fall into that trap. Back off before it gets close to the point where you might get stuck with someone you really do not want at anything close to market value.

The other thing to do, esp early is to bring up for bidding players you are not targeting so that big bucks get spent on players you had no intention of getting. Never put a guy up for bidding you really want early. You want to burn up others money not your own.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 676)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers