Who's #5?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who's #5??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Who's #5??

Postby auclairkeithbc » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:36 am

Go with your gut then. Cabrera has upside over his projections as well. Reyes really doesn't. As I said before, I'd go with Reyes in H2H or Roto with or without the extra Reyes-benefiting cats. But M-Cab is pretty nice and if he makes you happy, go ahead and pick him. If you go with Braun or Sizemore, you'll get some triples out of it too.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Inukchuk » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:47 am

Yeah, I'd go Reyes here no question as well. All this talk about making up steals with Jose could also be applied to Miggy and his power. There is plenty of pop to be had throughout the draft.

What I would agree with however, is the lack of depth at 3B compared to SS. To me, that's the only thing that would worry me taking Reyes here.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby markj11 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:13 am

jcook3127 wrote:
DaShiz23 wrote:Reluctantly, I say go with Reyes here. I personally would not like going in this direction to start a draft, because I rather have more power numbers to start off with. There are, IMO, enough 20/20 guys or plain-old speedsters to be had later that more than make up for not going with Reyes early on. H2H is a different monster, but I would still rather have a high avg. power hitter over him to build my team around.

Exactly my thoughts...exactly my problem...

My mind is telling me Reyes is the smartest pick..but my gut's telling me to take 35/110/100/.300

I made these gut picks my first year in an extended cat league. Don't do it, your gut is saying 5X5. Reyes is the way to go. Also, don't let Beltran, Teix or Berkman get past you in the second.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hot4tx » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:46 am

I too have mixed feelings. I really hate taking a guy like Reyes in the 1st that doesn't give you good HR or RBI. I HATE IT. However in my only draft so far this year I had the 5th pick and took Reyes. He is just "the most value" here so I made myself do it. Then I felt like it pidgeon-holed me the entire draft, having to only concentrate on power hitters. I'd much rather have a more well-rounded guy and/or a guy with elite HRs and RBI early and then target 30/10s and 20/20s guys in the next few rounds and if I need to get a SBs guy later. Just makes me feel better. So in hindsight maybe I should have gone with Braun and might to that next time.

My advise to you though with your xbhs category is to either take Reyes or work out a pre-draft deal with the guy picking 5th or 6th.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers