Who's #5?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who's #5??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who's #5??

Postby jcook3127 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:29 pm

Alright, this is really bugging me. I feel like I'm making the first selection in the draft..because I feel the first four in whatever order they go are money.

Hanley, Pujols, Arod, Wright..however you rank them, appear to me to be a consensus top 4...

I have pick 5, in a HEAD TO HEAD LEAGUE that counts Walks, K's, Doubles, Triples

Now, if it was a ROTO league, I would take Reyes and that huge triples advantage to the bank...in a head to head league, it's still got some value, but really its not something you want to latch onto in your pre-season rankings...

So, considering all this...do I just bite the bullet and take Reyes at 5, if my top 4 go as planned? I really don't want to make that pick, but I'm having trouble finding an alternative...honestly, if I don't go Reyes I'd just as soon take Teixeira as I would MCab or Braun or Sizemore

What do you guys think...who is the #1 guy behind Hanley/Pujols/Arod/Wright and why?
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Who's #5??

Postby auclairkeithbc » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:42 pm

Reyes is seemingly MORE valuable in your league than in normal H2H.

He will hit nearly as many doubles as the other candidates in this spot, 10 or so more triples, WAY less strikeouts, and really he walks about as much as M-Cab or Braun too.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Bloody Sox » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:43 pm

auclairkeithbc wrote:Reyes is seemingly MORE valuable in your league than in normal H2H.

He will hit nearly as many doubles as the other candidates in this spot, 10 or so more triples, WAY less strikeouts, and really he walks about as much as M-Cab or Braun too.

+1
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:21 pm

In H2H, I'd take M-Cab. From my experience having drafted in the 5-spot this year, you can still get a Victorino or Ellsbury a few rounds later should you need a speedster. The fallback options at SS are better than they are at 3B, at least IMO. Having the other XBH categories helps Reyes, but on a week-to-week basis, whatever value Reyes gains in such a format is spotty.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby horatio » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:47 pm

No question in my mind that I'd go with Reyes.
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby The Mighty Trow » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:07 pm

I can understand both points of view represented here, but I side with Dodger. Reyes is money and will keep you competitive you the steals category every week, but so can:

Rollins in the 2nd
Upton in the 3rd
Ichiro in the ... 4th? 5th?
Ellsbury in the 5th,
Pierre in the teens
Tavares in the (no idea where he falls...)
or maybe even Denard Span in the teens...

or even any combition of BRob, Gomez, Victorino, Figgins, etc...

I'd go Miggy. Or if you're really concerned with steals, what about Sizemore?
The Mighty Trow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby byfrcp » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:20 pm

auclairkeithbc wrote:Reyes is seemingly MORE valuable in your league than in normal H2H.

Completely Agree Here.

Reyes is going to be Top 5 in runs, #1 in Steals, and #1 in Triples. He also has a good amount of doubles, strikes out only 15-20 more times than he walks, and could hit .300.

In my opinion he could almost be moved ahead of Wright in this league format.
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby silverZ » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:00 pm

Go with Reyes.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby DaShiz23 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:10 pm

Reluctantly, I say go with Reyes here. I personally would not like going in this direction to start a draft, because I rather have more power numbers to start off with. There are, IMO, enough 20/20 guys or plain-old speedsters to be had later that more than make up for not going with Reyes early on. H2H is a different monster, but I would still rather have a high avg. power hitter over him to build my team around.
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby jcook3127 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:19 am

DaShiz23 wrote:Reluctantly, I say go with Reyes here. I personally would not like going in this direction to start a draft, because I rather have more power numbers to start off with. There are, IMO, enough 20/20 guys or plain-old speedsters to be had later that more than make up for not going with Reyes early on. H2H is a different monster, but I would still rather have a high avg. power hitter over him to build my team around.

Exactly my thoughts...exactly my problem...

My mind is telling me Reyes is the smartest pick..but my gut's telling me to take 35/110/100/.300
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers