Better to load up with 2 Start Pitchers or Quality Guys? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Better to load up with 2 Start Pitchers or Quality Guys?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Better to load up with 2 Start Pitchers or Quality Guys?

Postby cwrtlm » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:51 pm

I am in a weekly H2H points only league. We have no requirements on max innings or types of pitchers, just 8 pitching slots. I am beginning to wonder if it is better to draft all offense in the first rounds then pick up solid closers after your Offense is loaded and sprinkle in say 5-2 start pitchers every week. Our Points are awarded in the following manner:

Hitting: Doubles (2B) 2 Triples (3B) 3
Home Runs (HR) 4 Singles (1B) 1
Walks (BB) 1 Intentional Walks (IBB) 1
Hit by Pitch (HBP) 1 Sacrifices (SAC) 0.5
Runs Scored (R) 1 Runs Batted In (RBI) 1
Stolen Bases (SB) 2 Strikeouts (K) -1
Team Win (BTW) 3

Pitching Innings Pitched (IP) 3 Hits Allowed (H) -1
Walks Issued (BB) -0.5 Earned Runs (ER) -1
Strikeouts (K) 1 Wins (W) 10
Losses (L) -3 Saves (SV) 10
Complete Games (CG) 5 Quality Starts (QS) 3
Shutouts (SO) 5 No Hitters (NH) 10
Perfect Games (PG) 15

A 2 start pitcher is going to rack up the innings pitched and is in line for more oppourtunities to get QS and W's, but also Losses as well. I figure a stud pitcher is going to have to W and get the QS to egual the production of a 2-start Pitcher who just goes the minimum to get the QS for both starts. If he gets a W in one of them then he outscores the Stud by 10 points and if he can win both starts then he does by 20.
A good reliever will average about 30 points per week, if his team gets him into the game.
So what way would you all go if you were playing in this league? Load up on Offense and top Relievers and then get a few decent #3 pitchers and play the wire for 2 start pitchers or just approach it a normal way and draft a few top stud pitchers and fill in with decent other guys and take your chances that they will do well?
C- Hundley, Iannetta
1b- Wallace
2b- Barney/Barmes
3b- J. Lopez
CO- G. Sanchez
SS- Tulo
MI- Castro
OF- Bay, Hart, Pagan, Smith, Francisco, Ankiel
U- C. Ross(DL), Cantu
P- Carpent, Billings, Volquez, Marcum, Norris, J. Vazquez, Westbrook, Wolf, E Rogers
cwrtlm
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Better to load up with 2 Start Pitchers or Quality Guys?

Postby cwrtlm » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:19 pm

No Suggestions? This is always a big point in my league as to go for 2 start pitchers or to go quality.
C- Hundley, Iannetta
1b- Wallace
2b- Barney/Barmes
3b- J. Lopez
CO- G. Sanchez
SS- Tulo
MI- Castro
OF- Bay, Hart, Pagan, Smith, Francisco, Ankiel
U- C. Ross(DL), Cantu
P- Carpent, Billings, Volquez, Marcum, Norris, J. Vazquez, Westbrook, Wolf, E Rogers
cwrtlm
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:38 pm

You're always going to want to have at least one or two guys you feel confident trotting out there every week, or almost every week. 2 start pitchers are definitely quite valuable in your league, though.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 354)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby etraum » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:39 pm

Its an interesting philosophy. Very similar to a Duke Basketball team... "LIve and Die by the three". Some weeks you will prosper with the output you get from your closers and those 2 start pitchers.
BUt there will be weeks when those mediocre two-start pitchers get rocked, your closers teams don't put them in leads or save situations, or worse they blow the save... leaving you only with your hitters who probably won't be able to save the week.

I always feel more comfortable if I had just that one stud pitcher in my lineup. Thats just my opinion. I will be interested to see other peoples thoughts.
etraum
College Coach
College Coach

Postby SecretAgentMan » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:15 am

Points leagues imo are a whole different game. It comes down to the points player generates, not what position he plays and not whether hitter or pitcher. You need to list out the projcted points generated for each player and simply pick the best option available while still filling in your roster. So if closers generate more points or eqivalent points as starters, then you pick the closer. The mix does not matter. If hitters are bigger point getters than pithcers, you draft the big sticks first, etc.

I would also point out that some of your points categories are near worthless...perfect game (very rare), no-hitter (very rare), complete game (so few occur as to be statistically insignificant), shutouts (so few occur as to be statistically almost insignificant) etc.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 820)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:54 am

i play in a similar league and my answer is BOTH
you need some quality guys you can count in week in and week out because many times you'll only have a few 2 start options...and with the negative points possible they will post some very turdy outings, but it is still nice to have the option to trot a few 2 start guys out there
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers