Live or Slow Draft? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Live or Slow Draft?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Live or Slow Draft?

Postby bayareaballers » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:00 pm

Which draft usually works better, a live draft or a slow, forum draft? I can't seem to decide because i have heard convincing arguments for both
bayareaballers
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Live or Slow Draft?

Postby Kimbos Beard » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:20 pm

I'll bite on this topic. I always enjoy the live drafts more. It is harder logistically to get everyone together evem just online to get a draft done. But there is something exciting about a live draft that just can't be replicated it a slow one.
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Postby Rich Greene » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:54 am

I love live drafts, but my league has been doing a message board draft for the past six years and I've come to love it even more. We start March 1 and the draft usually takes 2-3 weeks

The pros are it kills time during Spring Training, cause to me there's nothing worse than after you've drafted just staring at your roster for 2-3 weeks waiting for the season to start. And even if you wait till later in the month to draft, you're still just waiting.

Also there's a lot of trading during the message board draft, because teams have a lot of time to call each other and work deals out. We see a lot of moving up and moving down with deals that are just based around picks and to me that makes the draft experience even better.

You could also do a combo either start or finish with the last 5 rounds as a live draft and do the rest on a forum.
Rich Greene
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby WaCougMBS » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:34 pm

Rich Greene wrote:I love live drafts, but my league has been doing a message board draft for the past six years and I've come to love it even more. We start March 1 and the draft usually takes 2-3 weeks

The pros are it kills time during Spring Training, cause to me there's nothing worse than after you've drafted just staring at your roster for 2-3 weeks waiting for the season to start. And even if you wait till later in the month to draft, you're still just waiting.

Also there's a lot of trading during the message board draft, because teams have a lot of time to call each other and work deals out. We see a lot of moving up and moving down with deals that are just based around picks and to me that makes the draft experience even better.

You could also do a combo either start or finish with the last 5 rounds as a live draft and do the rest on a forum.

Agreed - I come from the same background as a live draft lover, turned slow draft fiend. I think they are the best way to go for all of the reasons that he stated above - as long as you stick to a time schedule and people are fastidious about making their picks as quickly as possible, I think this is by far a better way to hold a draft ;-D
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Commissioner's Corner