CBS Roster Limits - Help please... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

CBS Roster Limits - Help please...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

CBS Roster Limits - Help please...

Postby BeanTown » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:46 pm

I want my roster to look like this:
C,1B,2B,3B,SS,OF,OF,OF,UT,UT
SP,SP,SP,RP,RP,P,P
6 Bench spots
1 DL spot
My only requirement is that people start 3SP and 2RP. If an owner wants to leave Catcher, or any other position, empty then it is allowed.

Here's how I have it setup on CBS right now:
Roster Limits
Status Min Max
Active Players 0 17
Reserve Players 0 6
Injured Players 0 1
Minors Players 0 0
Total Players 0 24
Position Min Max Tot
Active C 0 1 1
Active 1B 0 1 1
Active 2B 0 1 1
Active 3B 0 1 1
Active SS 0 1 1
Active OF 0 3 3
Active U 0 2 2
Active SP 3 5 5
Active RP 2 4 4
Illegal rosters score zero
points in standings.

Is this setup right?
Some of my main thoughts are:
Does the min active players need to equal 5, 3SP + 2RP?
Should the individual position totals equal more to accomadate the fact they could be on the bench?

I've seen some other league set ups and the math doesn't make any sense to me. Help would be appreciated.
BeanTown
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: CBS Roster Limits - Help please...

Postby BeanTown » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:47 pm

bump
BeanTown
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BeanTown » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:50 pm

Sorry to be a pest on this guys but I'm still lost on this and I haven't received an explantion from CBS.

Looking at my OP I believe that my settings are correct for Positional Active Min and Max. I think my Positional Total Max in completely banged up and I'm not sure I understand what it should be. The quick explanation I got recently was that if I have a total max at Catcher of 1 then I'll only be able to have 1 Catcher on my entire roster. I also think that my Roster Limits section might be completely wrong.

I just need to get to this setup:
SP,SP,SP,RP,RP,P,P
6 Bench spots ( the bench spots can be any position)
1 DL spot

I bolded the only required spots.
BeanTown
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jmurphy_j » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:50 pm

One probelem I noticed is that you have the "max" for bench players set at "6." That means that managers will be forced to start 17 players. Nobody could bench a starter because they were in a slump or had a bad match-up. You need to increase the allowable size of your bench (I have the bench size set equal to roster size so that, theoretically, one could bench their entire team if they chose to).

Yes, you should increase the "total" value for each position to account for bench players.

Yes, you should increase the minimum for active players to 5 to account for the required pitchers.

I actually just took over managing a team on CBS, so I am still getting used to the settings myself. So this is the best I can do right now. I do know that these settings can be confusing on CBS.

I am getting ready to post my own question on this board....I would appreciate it if you took a look at it for me.

Good Luck!
jmurphy_j
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BeanTown » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:02 am

So what is the total max column represent? It seems odd that I would have a bench of 23 although I follow your logic. Also, since I have 2 utility spots I should have a Max of 3 C, 3 1B, 3 2B, etc. That didn't look right on my empty roster page. I guess I just need confirmation/clarification for what the CBS settings would be for this:
SP,SP,SP,RP,RP,P,P
6 Bench spots ( the bench spots can be any position)
1 DL spot
BeanTown
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jmurphy_j » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:50 am

As best i can tell, the total max represents the maximum number of players you can have at a particular position on your roster (active or bench)

The most flexible setting would be to just keep the numbers blank....so there is no restrictions on how many players of a particular position you can have on your team

Another option would be to set each position max equal to the size of you bench (in your case 6) plus the number of active spots for that position. So for OF you would set the max @ 9 (6 bench plus 3 active)....for 1B I would set the max at 7 (6 bench plus 1 active)....ect...

That way a manager could have a full roster of "active" players, and then have their bench consist of all OF's....or all 1B's....or all SP's...etc. But it would prevent somebody from having 10 outfields at the cost of not having any catchers.

Personally...I just keep the "Total Max" settings blank....if a guy wants 15 SP's, why should I stop him. I try not to micro-manage the roster reuirement too much.
jmurphy_j
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Curtis Pride » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:44 am

But you said you wanted a total max of 23. You said that players should be able to bench players if they want. if they want to bench their entire roster (for some reason), you would need a max of 23.

Your settings are fine. The only maximum you need to worry about is total roster size since you set the minimums.

Since everyone needs to have 1 catcher, 1 SS, 1 3B, 2 RP, 3 SP, etc, and there is a maximum of 23, it will mean that their only variables are the bench players.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby BeanTown » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:47 am

Alright, things are getting good now. Thanks to both of you for taking the time to help me on this. I'm not gonna lie, I'm still struggling a little with this but I'm getting there. Please bear with me through a few more questions.

So now my settings would look like this:

Roster Limits
Status Min Max
Active Players 5 17
Reserve Players 0 6
Injured Players 0 1
Minors Players 0 0
Total Players 0 24

Position Min Max Tot
Active C 0 1
Active 1B 0 1
Active 2B 0 1
Active 3B 0 1
Active SS 0 1
Active OF 0 3
Active U 0 2
Active SP 3 5
Active RP 2 4
Illegal rosters score zero
points in standings.

I changed the MIN active players to 5 since I require 3SP and 2RP and I deleted out the Position TOT numbers.

Almost home...
The point that's been made about the bench is interesting. Technically we have to start 3SP and 2RP and there are 17 potential active slots. Therefore should I be increasing my bench MAX by 12 to 18? How does this work in the draft? I only want 23 players drafted (17 active positional and 6 bench spots)

What about my 2 UT spots that can be filled with any offensive position? Technically those could be 2 first basemen so do I change my MAX +2 on all offensive positions? If I do that it makes my roster page look very strange.

Curtis Pride wrote:Your settings are fine. The only maximum you need to worry about is total roster size since you set the minimums.

Since everyone needs to have 1 catcher, 1 SS, 1 3B, 2 RP, 3 SP, etc, and there is a maximum of 23, it will mean that their only variables are the bench players.

Everyone doesn't necessarily NEED to have those players but those are the roster spots. Would it be easier of I just implement a MIN on each position?

Sorry for all the questions guys but this is our first year on CBS and I want to make sure everything runs smooth. This is the only aspect of CBS I haven't been able to get good info on. This is the most helpful info I've received so far.
BeanTown
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigmck » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:47 pm

If you started only 5, you have to have your bench number big enough to take care of the rest of the team. Six is not going to do it. I think that is the problem.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Return to Commissioner's Corner