12 team, 5x5, WHIR! Unreal ownage? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

12 team, 5x5, WHIR! Unreal ownage?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

12 team, 5x5, WHIR! Unreal ownage?

Postby AnddWon » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:22 pm

c Bengie Molina
1b Prince Fielder
2b Kelly Johnson
3b Kevin Youkilis
ss Hanley Ramirez
OF Magglio Ordonez
OF Torii Hunter
OF Carlos Gomez
UTIL Jermaine Dye

SP Cole Hamels
SP Dan Haren
RP Brad Lidge
RP Troy Percival
P Dice-k
P Scott Kazmir
p Erik Bedard

BN Delmon Young
BN Adrian Beltre
BN Jair Jurjens
BN Shaun Marcum
BN Chris Ray

anything I could use? I think I win the league?
AnddWon
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 12 team, 5x5, WHIR! Unreal ownage?

Postby scott8534 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:49 pm

Not a huge fan of your outfield. But the team is solid....
scott8534
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tenacious D-Store » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:15 pm

Well for starters, Shawn Marcum, (who is a personal friend of mine) will not pitch in 2009 and may be finished as a major league pitcher all together. So you can kick him to the FA pool, he isn't even worth stashing on your DL. Carlos Gomez isn't even a guarantee to start and could end up part of a 3 man platoon. Erik Bedard is an intriguing sleeper and I took him myself late in an NL only draft, but keep the expectations low while at the same time try and be patient with him and don't be to quick to drop him if he struggles out of the gate. I doubt we'll see much of Percival or Ray in a closing role if at all this season. You might want to scrounge for one more closer (even a Tyler Walker or Frank Francisco). I have a feeling we'll see a lot of pop up closers this season so keep an eye on some guys like Tony Pena and others who could end up closing. The core of your team is pretty solid and well balanced, and the weak points are easily fixable with waivers and FA pick ups. Try replacing Marcum with Jeremy Guthrie who I like a lot to have a break out season (if he's out there), Kenshin Kawakami and Koji Uehara have also gone ignored in many mocks that I've done. Look for them to have somewhat of a Hiroki Kuroda type impact. Travis Snider, Matt Joyce, Elijah Dukes could also be available sleepers that I would have drafted ahead of Gomez. Gomez was a pretty big prospect, but seems to have faded away already if he wins the job and can improve a bit he'll be a great source of speed. Try keeping him on your bench to see if he pays off after all. I'd cut Ray or Beltre for your backup OF.
Tenacious D-Store
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby DaShiz23 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:54 pm

Pretty good team. I'm also not a fan of your OF, and would like a better 2B. I am also a fan of starting the season with at least 3 closers, be it top-level or middle of the road guys. You don't want to get behind early, even though it is one cat.
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:02 am

As above, my first thought was blah outfield, iffy 2B. But seeing how much pitching you have, the balance is obvious.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby mission27 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:12 am

Solid team. Not sure I love your outfield but it's ok I guess.

You've got a great pitching staff but with that being said TRADE DICEK!!!!

4.5 xERA last year with 5 BB/9. He's going to collapse next year. Play up his 2.9 ERA and 18 wins, then trade him to some sucker for a stud outfielder.
mission27
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Kuji » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:04 am

Tenacious D-Store wrote:Well for starters, Shawn Marcum, (who is a personal friend of mine) will not pitch in 2009 and may be finished as a major league pitcher all together. So you can kick him to the FA pool, he isn't even worth stashing on your DL. Carlos Gomez isn't even a guarantee to start and could end up part of a 3 man platoon. Erik Bedard is an intriguing sleeper and I took him myself late in an NL only draft, but keep the expectations low while at the same time try and be patient with him and don't be to quick to drop him if he struggles out of the gate. I doubt we'll see much of Percival or Ray in a closing role if at all this season. You might want to scrounge for one more closer (even a Tyler Walker or Frank Francisco). I have a feeling we'll see a lot of pop up closers this season so keep an eye on some guys like Tony Pena and others who could end up closing. The core of your team is pretty solid and well balanced, and the weak points are easily fixable with waivers and FA pick ups. Try replacing Marcum with Jeremy Guthrie who I like a lot to have a break out season (if he's out there), Kenshin Kawakami and Koji Uehara have also gone ignored in many mocks that I've done. Look for them to have somewhat of a Hiroki Kuroda type impact. Travis Snider, Matt Joyce, Elijah Dukes could also be available sleepers that I would have drafted ahead of Gomez. Gomez was a pretty big prospect, but seems to have faded away already if he wins the job and can improve a bit he'll be a great source of speed. Try keeping him on your bench to see if he pays off after all. I'd cut Ray or Beltre for your backup OF.

Really nice analysis, man!

Yeah, as previously said your OF and 2B is iffy (pray to the gods Kelly Johnson breaks out like he did a season or so ago). I'd use one of your pitchers to upgrade your OF, or just follow Tenacious D-Store's advice.

I need some help, please check the link in my signature, please?
Kuji
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sean1981 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:44 am

Tenacious D-Store wrote: Erik Bedard is an intriguing sleeper and I took him myself late in an NL only draft, but keep the expectations low while at the same time try and be patient with him and don't be to quick to drop him if he struggles out of the gate.

You sure you really want a trust a guy who is drafting Bedard in an NL-Only league? Not me.
sean1981
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Tenacious D-Store » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:54 am

sean1981 wrote:
Tenacious D-Store wrote: Erik Bedard is an intriguing sleeper and I took him myself late in an NL only draft, but keep the expectations low while at the same time try and be patient with him and don't be to quick to drop him if he struggles out of the gate.

You sure you really want a trust a guy who is drafting Bedard in an NL-Only league? Not me.

Considering he pitches for the Washington Nationals now, I certainly don't see why not. Try and keep up with the rest of us and let me know if you need some help pulling your foot out of your mouth.
Tenacious D-Store
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby sean1981 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:00 am

AnddWon wrote:c Bengie Molina
1b Prince Fielder
2b Kelly Johnson
3b Kevin Youkilis
ss Hanley Ramirez
OF Magglio Ordonez
OF Torii Hunter
OF Carlos Gomez
UTIL Jermaine Dye
SP Cole Hamels
SP Dan Haren
RP Brad Lidge
RP Troy Percival
P Dice-k
P Scott Kazmir
p Erik Bedard
BN Delmon Young
BN Adrian Beltre
BN Jair Jurjens
BN Shaun Marcum
BN Chris Ray

anything I could use? I think I win the league?

1. I think you could use some more relievers. You've got 7 starters out of 10 pitchers total. Your top-five starters are unreal, but your relievers (Lidge, Percy, Ray) are shaky at best. Sure, Lidge is a top-tier closer (I'd like to know what round you were able to draft him in), but Percy is a HUGE injury risk and Ray won't close until Cheryl loses the job.

2. Kelly Johnson is FINE. He's not a player who wins or loses a league for you.

3. Carlos Gomez does. He's too big of a risk to slot as a 3OF in a 3OF league. Perhaps if there were 5 OF you could feel comfortable putting him in the last spot. If I were you, I'd slide Dye over to the third OF slot and pick someone else up for the UTIL.

4. This team is light on power unless Prince blasts 45+.
sean1981
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team