Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Re: New Presidential Rankings

Postby jlm53089 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:08 pm

I have also heard of it.
But Cali gets a lot more action, there for more a problem for people.

I understand this one can go off at anytime, but so could California's.

Its just a matter of when now...
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby knapplc » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:36 pm

There isn't a state in America that doesn't exist under the threat of natural disaster, whether that's hurricanes or earthquakes or tornados or flooding or blizzards, volcanic activity, locusts, Dusty Baker… whatever. There’s a shelf on Hawaii that’s going to collapse into the ocean before California does, and when it does it’s going to swamp the islands and just about everything else in the Pacific basin. Imagine a tsunami 500-1,000 feet high. It’s gonna happen. The Azores have a similar structure that has collapsed in the past, and if it does, New York City is toast (albeit soggy toast). Wyoming has Yellowstone – the world’s largest caldera, if I’m not mistaken – and it’s possible this thing could erupt at any time, meaning if you’re east of the park, you’re going to be covered in about a foot or five of ash.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jlm53089 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:41 pm

knapplc wrote:There isn't a state in America that doesn't exist under the threat of natural disaster, whether that's hurricanes or earthquakes or tornados or flooding or blizzards, volcanic activity, locusts, Dusty Baker… whatever. There’s a shelf on Hawaii that’s going to collapse into the ocean before California does, and when it does it’s going to swamp the islands and just about everything else in the Pacific basin. Imagine a tsunami 500-1,000 feet high. It’s gonna happen. The Azores have a similar structure that has collapsed in the past, and if it does, New York City is toast (albeit soggy toast). Wyoming has Yellowstone – the world’s largest caldera, if I’m not mistaken – and it’s possible this thing could erupt at any time, meaning if you’re east of the park, you’re going to be covered in about a foot or five of ash.

Oooh Dusty Baker... that sounds scary...
I hope it doesnt happen to me. :-o
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:10 pm

Chicago was hit with an F5 Dusty Baker a few years ago....we haven't been the same since. :,-( Lord knows I was begging for federal assistance.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Matthias » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:14 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:It's very true that the what-have-you-done-for-me-lately mentality that someone brought up early will certainly hold true as we inch further and further away from the Bush era. I despise the man as much as the next guy, but the media had such a field day with him that there is no way, presently, for him to redeem himself. It will take time. And time will be generous to Bush. And you can assume that I mean we'll forget, but I think it will be because of future events that we will realize that Bush wasn't as bad as Jon Stewart, or whoever you happen to be watching, said he was. Again, not suggesting he was a great President, he was far from a great President, but he wasn't the worse thing to happen to DC like so many in the media suggest.

I'm curious as to what you think Bush did right that will redeem him in the future.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Matthias » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:19 am

CadensDad wrote:Clinton is WAYYYYY too high, he didn't do much good for the country, He just lied under oath and no one cared

I think people are sufficiently aware that Clinton lied under oath. The reason that it doesn't affect his ranking is because it didn't affect his handling of the country. The United States was prosperous under his watch. The United States felt good under his watch. The United States had good diplomatic relations under his watch. The issues that affected everyday Americans were positive. The fact that he fooled around on his wife and then weaseled about it when asked doesn't really change his standing as President of the United States.

Even if you don't like anything else Clinton did, look at these two graphs. You see where they go down in the only period after 1980? That's the Clinton years. The US federal debt is going to be killing the United States dollar, and the United States, for years to come. At least Clinton took measures to try to bring the deficit under control; no-one else seems to care.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Matthias » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:26 pm

Matthias wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:It's very true that the what-have-you-done-for-me-lately mentality that someone brought up early will certainly hold true as we inch further and further away from the Bush era. I despise the man as much as the next guy, but the media had such a field day with him that there is no way, presently, for him to redeem himself. It will take time. And time will be generous to Bush. And you can assume that I mean we'll forget, but I think it will be because of future events that we will realize that Bush wasn't as bad as Jon Stewart, or whoever you happen to be watching, said he was. Again, not suggesting he was a great President, he was far from a great President, but he wasn't the worse thing to happen to DC like so many in the media suggest.

I'm curious as to what you think Bush did right that will redeem him in the future.

Maybe you mean that problem of the projected $4.5 trillion dollar surplus that he inherited? I guess he did fix that.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:53 pm

Matthias wrote:

This is probably pointless because I'm sure it wasn't "curiosity" that prompted you to dig up my post, but ok....

Removed Saddam Hussein from power in Iraq. Hunted down and captured many of Al-Quaeda's top military personnel. Stood against the mass deportation of illegal immigrants. Banned racial profiling. Put prescription drugs on Medicare. Accepted record numbers of refugees. Protected America from another terrorist attack on our soil. Protected American Muslims. Protected American's rights to bear arms. Fought AIDS and malaria in Africa. Gave benefits to same-sex couples.

Some of those I agree with, some of them I don't. Some you probably agree with and some you don't. Fact of the matter is, when you turn the TV or radio off and think for yourself without the bias of whatever your favorite media outlet may be, it's not like he sat around trying to screw everything up. Again, not a big fan, but it's not near as bad as it's portrayed. I would have considered him more of a success had he convinced Americans to think on their own. ;-)
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:28 pm

Spent $300 trillion and Osama Bin Laden is still alive.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk