New Presidential Rankings - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

New Presidential Rankings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: New Presidential Rankings

Postby thedude » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:08 am

Yoda wrote:GW Bush has to be the worst. Absolutely nothing he did in office has amounted to anything positive for this country.

That isn't true at all and way too soon to say.
How was he a worse president that Franklin Pierce, Andrew Johnson, or James Buchanan. For that matter how is he worse than Hoover? Did he do less than William Henry Harrison?
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:18 am

Amazinz wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:My favourite Canadian Prime Minister is Lester B. Pearson.

Won the Nobel Peace Prize and refused to support the US in Vietnam and against Cuba. ;-D

Who knew? I thought he was a hockey player.

I'll tell you who knew. Nobody, that's who.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:59 am

Honestly, I'm truely shocked. If the Federal Government doesn't help citizens that are victims of natural disasters then what is the point? The government mishandled Katrina but that doesn't mean they shouldn't have been there.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby cordscords » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:08 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:Honestly, I'm truely shocked. If the Federal Government doesn't help citizens that are victims of natural disasters then what is the point? The government mishandled Katrina but that doesn't mean they shouldn't have been there.

Good read: http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul275.html
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:04 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:Honestly, I'm truely shocked. If the Federal Government doesn't help citizens that are victims of natural disasters then what is the point? The government mishandled Katrina but that doesn't mean they shouldn't have been there.

me too... some of the opinions here are disturbing. sure we might not really care for someone that lives far away in another part of the country, but to say they don't deserve help in time of need is really messed up. i feel if these people had some disaster in their own backyard, they wouldn't be saying this.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby CadensDad » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:14 am

BitterDodgerFan wrote:

me too... some of the opinions here are disturbing. sure we might not really care for someone that lives far away in another part of the country, but to say they don't deserve help in time of need is really messed up. i feel if these people had some disaster in their own backyard, they wouldn't be saying this.

Why didn't those people leave?They where told that the entire city would have been destroyed, they where told DAYS in advance to get out. Yet nearly %80 of the population stayed. Then the mayor and Gov did nothing to help except blame FEMA and the goverment. The city/state and members of that state are the real idiots who mishandled that not the goverment imo

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby knapplc » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:02 am

Everyone is to blame for Katrina. Bush failed, FEMA failed, the City government of New Orleans failed, the Governer of Louisiana failed, the citizens of New Orleans failed, the various parishes failed, and in a broader sense we all failed. Katrina's fallout points to a systemic lapse in responsibility in this country, as does the looming financial meltdown and the state of rancor in our party politics. There is a huge tangent I could go off on here, but suffice it to say that this finger-pointing at Bush or FEMA or whomever misses the point of that disaster. The failures of Katrina are merely symptoms of America's ill health, nothing more, nothing less.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:51 am

knapplc wrote:Everyone is to blame for Katrina. Bush failed, FEMA failed, the City government of New Orleans failed, the Governer of Louisiana failed, the citizens of New Orleans failed, the various parishes failed, and in a broader sense we all failed. Katrina's fallout points to a systemic lapse in responsibility in this country, as does the looming financial meltdown and the state of rancor in our party politics. There is a huge tangent I could go off on here, but suffice it to say that this finger-pointing at Bush or FEMA or whomever misses the point of that disaster. The failures of Katrina are merely symptoms of America's ill health, nothing more, nothing less.

Wow. I couldn't agree more.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:08 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:

I don't think anyone feels like they don't deserve help, we simply disagree where the help should come from. I don't believe that the government should take care of the people. I think the government should set the laws and enforce them and keep the people safe, and let the people take care of themselves. I feel like the people need to take on greater responsibility in taking care of the nation and the government needs to step back. I know that I personally donated to Katrina relief efforts (though not as much as I did for the tsunami - which goes back to my thinking about New Orleans being a really stupid city), and I'm perfectly happy to help donate to causes when the time arises.

But that doesn't change how I think. If you choose to live in a hurricane or earthquake zone, then you should take some responsibility when a hurricane or earthquake hits. You should have insurance, and if they won't sell you insurance because of the dangers of where you live, then maybe that should raise a red flag. It's hard for me to feel really terrible about things that happen that are completely preventable if one just ponders their given situation. Like moving to Florida and then crying when you get hit by a hurricane. It's not a matter of if, just of when. If you want to risk it, fine, just don't expect the American taxpayer to come bail you out when you lose your house. If private organizations want to step up, great (and like I said, I have donated to them in the past and will continue to do so).

I just don't trust the government to spend my money, and so the less federal programs and bureaucracies they have and the less money of mine that they have and need, the better.

And great post, knapp. ;-D
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby jlm53089 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:57 pm

knapplc wrote:Everyone is to blame for Katrina. Bush failed, FEMA failed, the City government of New Orleans failed, the Governer of Louisiana failed, the citizens of New Orleans failed, the various parishes failed, and in a broader sense we all failed. Katrina's fallout points to a systemic lapse in responsibility in this country, as does the looming financial meltdown and the state of rancor in our party politics. There is a huge tangent I could go off on here, but suffice it to say that this finger-pointing at Bush or FEMA or whomever misses the point of that disaster. The failures of Katrina are merely symptoms of America's ill health, nothing more, nothing less.

Very well said...

As for disasters and things like that, sure they happen.
Blizzards, tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes.
Most people are at risk to at least 1 or more of these things.
Granted they hurt when they happen yes, but people should understand their climate and where they live.
Know that New Orleans is a big bowl just waiting to be filled with water.
Just know that California could break apart and fall off into the pacific because of the faults they lie on.
People need to realize this and be ready not scream at the last minute when there are many steps that could and should of been taken way before something like this hits.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk