Draft Help Please...WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Draft Help Please...WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Draft Help Please...WHIR

Postby theinflatinator91 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:38 pm

I asked a similar question to this already, but I am now adding more information!

This is a H2H 10 Team Yahoo League (one keeper added of FA) --> Alexei Ramirez. Lots of stats- 'GS,AB,R,H,1B,2B,3B,HR,RBI,SB,BB,E,AVG,OBP,SLG' (hitters)

My strategy has been infield all the way in the first three rounds. So I am going to ask which infield you like better, depending on who falls to me. I have third pick overall.

Infield One: 1b Albert Pujols 2b Chase Utley 3b Ararmis Ramirez ss Alexei Ramirez.

Infield Two: 1b Prince Fielder 2b Alexei Ramirez 3b Evan Longoria ss Hanley Ramirez.

Infield Three: 1b Prince Fielder 2b Alexei Ramirez 3b Evan Longoria ss Jose Reyes. (only if Hanley is not available)

Infield Four: 1b Prince Fielder 2b Chase Utley 3b Alex Rodriguez ss Alexei Ramirez.

What do you think? Or if you have any other ideas to help this strategy. After these rounds (if all goes as planed) I was planning to get Ichiro, then Maglio. Then I could focus my attention to pitchers in rounds 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, taking two closers and three starters...

Please say your top two!

Again I will help in response just post a link to your message... :-D
theinflatinator91
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Draft Help Please...WHIR

Postby jonboy418 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:08 pm

I'm in a league similar to this one. For that reason I'd go:
Infield #1
Infield #4
Infield #2/#3

With your categories, you want to target power hitters with strong OBP and SLG (basically OPS). Mix in players with strong AVG and you can absolutely dominate the offensive categories . Stolen bases is one category out of fifteen which significantly decreases the value of stolen bases (thus Hanley and Reyes loses a bit of their mystique).

But with a lineup of powerful sluggers and efficeint high average players, you can dominate in H, R, HR, all the extra bases, BB, AVG, OBS, SLG - that's 10 out of 15 categories, which makes you win a H2H matchup each week.

Albert Pujols will be the MVPs of your league with ARod not too far behind, which is why I went with the #1 then #4. Plus Aramis will be more valuable that Longoria, due to a better OPS and AVG.

But a word of warning. If you have offensive categories like this, I'd be very curious with your pitching categories. If you have 15 more pitching categories and especially if holds are one of those categories, I would not waste your top ten rounds (maybe even 15) on picking a closer.

Focus on picking up sluggers with high OPS and AVG (Votto, and Chris Davis are targets of mine - even Davis can be your UTIL and be plugged in to your CI if there's an injury). Heck, even Adam Dunn will be extremely valuable in your league.

Pick up an ace, but do not lose focus on your sluggers. You can pick up quality pitching off the waiver wire a lot easier than an OF who hits 25 HR at a .295 AVG.
jonboy418
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 35)

Postby theinflatinator91 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:25 pm

pitching cats are - IP, W, CG, SHO, SV, H, ER, HR, BB, K, TB, ERA, WHIP, K/9, QS
theinflatinator91
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jonboy418 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:06 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't draft a closer with your first 13-15 picks Why pay a huge price for a closer when you get most impact in 1/15 categories. With this type of set up you want players that will give you across the board help. Kind of strange that Holds isn't a category, but nonetheless.

Lets look at the positive / negavtive / neutral SP stats:
Positive stats - the higher the number you win:
IP, W, CG, SHO, K, QS = 6/15 stats

Negative stats - the higher the number you lose:
H, ER, HR, BB, TB = 5/15 stats

Neutral stats - doesn't depend on the number of starts or not:
ERA, WHIP, K/9

This means you want to maximmize your pitchers roster spot. A lot of average pitchers without the name brand. You'll win those 6 positive categories everytime.

Then draft pitchers that have a low WHIP (this will also mean reduced BB, H, & TB), high Ks (larger K/9 rate), and a high GB% (minimize negative stat HR). Drop players whose WHIP is higher than it should be and pick up another pitcher off the waiver wire. This is why you don't use top picks on pitchers, they become impossible to drop - that happened to me last year with Verlander.

Maximize those two neutral stats and you get 8 categories out of 15 each and everytime. It's not sexy (James Shields is my 'ace'), but it wins me championships since my offense blows everyone else out of the water.
jonboy418
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 35)

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team