Hanley Ramirez will likely bat third - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hanley Ramirez will likely bat third

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Hanley Ramirez will likely bat third

Postby SignGuy » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:58 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:Don't know how it will impact his SBs, but a definite boost to his R+RBI totals. The average leadoff hitter gets about 175 R+RBI in the NL, mostly because of the poor rbi totals hitting behind the pitcher. The average #3 hitter gets about 200 R+RBI.

What is the importance or significance of R+RBI totals in valuing a players worth? (im not being smug btw, just asking)

If Pedroia goes 120-80 leading off or 100-100 batting 3rd is he any more or less valuable? I would think his value depends on what stat your team needs more of. I do realize that 200 R+RBI is much harder to attain leading off than hitting 3rd, but what does R+RBI tell you? Do you use it as a baseline of some sorts?
SignGuy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:10 am

I think in general the guys hitting in the middle of the order end up with more R/RBI than a leadoff guy. It is more likely that Hanley will achieve the 200 R/RBI production hitting down the order than leading off given the rest of the run producers on the team. I also recall him not hitting as well in the 3 hole but it was probably a small sample size.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby duckbillgates » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:14 am

If he sheds 10 SB and gains 25 in the R/RBI total, he's still losing value in roto. I could also see a slight increase in HR and a corresponding dip in BA to go with it as well.

Not a huge hit, but I think this narrows the gap with A-Rod and Pujols for No. 1 overall.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:46 pm

Yoda wrote:I think in general the guys hitting in the middle of the order end up with more R/RBI than a leadoff guy. It is more likely that Hanley will achieve the 200 R/RBI production hitting down the order than leading off given the rest of the run producers on the team. I also recall him not hitting as well in the 3 hole but it was probably a small sample size.

Yes, team dependent stats like runs and RBIs, have a very close relationship to overall team runs and batting order slot. Since they have very close to the same values in roto, it's sometimes easier to just add the two and compare players, than to treat them apart. A #1 hitter in the NL takes a big RBI hit (in fact it's the worst RBI slot to hit in in the NL). #3 hitters lose little in runs, but gain a lot in RBI opportunities.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:47 pm

duckbillgates wrote:If he sheds 10 SB and gains 25 in the R/RBI total, he's still losing value in roto. I could also see a slight increase in HR and a corresponding dip in BA to go with it as well.

Not a huge hit, but I think this narrows the gap with A-Rod and Pujols for No. 1 overall.

Yes, but the R+RBI change is almost a certainty. The SB change is not.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby CadensDad » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:35 pm

I still have him ranked #1, it's a bit closer with A-rod but still #1

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby JTWood » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:52 pm

Miami Herald wrote:Weight gain works wonders for Florida Marlins' Hanley Ramirez"

Hanley Ramirez gained 24 pounds in the offseason in the gym and pool to deal with the rigors of a 162-game season.

That meant spending at least an hour a day, five days a week, working out in a gym in the Dominican Republic and another hour at home swimming laps in his backyard pool.

The weight training added bulk and muscle to Ramirez's torso while the swimming program was designed to strengthen his weak left shoulder, which has caused him problems in the past.
And Ramirez said he doesn't plan to start the season at 225 pounds. He said he expects to lose up to 15 pounds during spring training. But he still expects to open the season at a heavier playing weight than he has at any time in the past.

Sinner!!! :-b

One other note from that article:

Gonzalez said that with a couple of off days early on the schedule, he probably will go with a four-man rotation until a fifth starter becomes necessary April 18.

Not uncommon, but worth noting.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers