Streaming? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Streaming?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Streaming?

Postby bruuno2 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:13 pm

I joined a H2H league that allows streaming.I was unaware of this when i joined .Any tips?
bruuno2
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Streaming?

Postby Bloody Sox » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:25 pm

Does it actively promote streaming or does it just NOT discourage it? If its not a case where they actually want to encourage streaming, then see if you can get them to change the rules by adjusting the number of moves/starts. If the rules actually do encourage streaming, then you need to either decide to embrace it and build your team 100% around offense, or "play defense" by building a balanced roster with enough flexibility to try to beat the streamers to the punch, picking up the good streaming options 2-3 days in advance (instead of the day before). This will limit how much streaming can be effective because the streamers will need to keep pitchers on their rosters an extra day or two.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokerplaya » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:27 pm

Some people don't mind streaming, I hate it. I won't be part of a league that allows it. I'd leave the league.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby 4Pack » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:46 pm

pokerplaya wrote:Some people don't mind streaming, I hate it. I won't be part of a league that allows it. I'd leave the league.

Agree 100%! I get in a couple Yahoo public leagues each season to tune up my drafting skills, but I still stay on top of the team (it is also irritating when managers sign up for a league and then let their teams sit all season). In at least one of the leagues there will be a manager that steams. Cannot leave the league once you have drafted...so all I can do give him a piece of my mind and let it go. But those managers rarely win the league also....
4Pack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bruuno2 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:51 pm

Do you think i could keep up with 8 solid starters?Or will i have to "stream" with the rest.Streaming will tend to blow up era & whip i would think.
bruuno2
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby pokerplaya » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:52 pm

4Pack wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:Some people don't mind streaming, I hate it. I won't be part of a league that allows it. I'd leave the league.

Agree 100%! I get in a couple Yahoo public leagues each season to tune up my drafting skills, but I still stay on top of the team (it is also irritating when managers sign up for a league and then let their teams sit all season). In at least one of the leagues there will be a manager that steams. Cannot leave the league once you have drafted...so all I can do give him a piece of my mind and let it go. But those managers rarely win the league also....

That is why I avoid Yahoo public leagues. There are plenty of leagues listed at the Cafe in the Classified section which are private leagues which don't allow those types of abuses.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby 4Pack » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:18 pm

bruuno2 wrote:Do you think i could keep up with 8 solid starters?Or will i have to "stream" with the rest.Streaming will tend to blow up era & whip i would think.

Well...you can keep up in the sense that you will in most cases still win the ERA/WHIP categories. But you will in most cases lose the W/K categories. So it evens out......and as long as the rest of your team is also solid....giving away two categories is not that big of a deal.

LIke I said...it has been my experience that the streamers rarely win the league. Not certain if it is the fantasy gods biting them in the arse...or just because the rest of their team is average (to go along with their crappy pitching staffs).
4Pack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby 4Pack » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:26 pm

pokerplaya wrote:
4Pack wrote:

That is why I avoid Yahoo public leagues. There are plenty of leagues listed at the Cafe in the Classified section which are private leagues which don't allow those types of abuses.

This season I am more inclined to do mock drafts (have done 3 so far) to hone the skills...but I believe that managers are more inclined to stray far from their normal drafting "routine" if the consequences are not present (which they are not in mock drafts). So in a sense it is still hard to guage what to expect in a draft where the stakes are higher.

But...the mock drafts have helped overall I think. While I normally wait until the 5th round to being drafting pitchers...I was able to experiment with a different strategy to see what I came up with.

I also must apologize for getting off track on the topic of this thread. Did not even realize I was doing it. :-X
4Pack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:35 pm

Remember that streaming tactics/strategies are not foolproof, and may very well be nothing to fear. Streaming can easily cause owners to lose the majority of categories for the week, too, if your pitching is well put together with a balanced offense.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Eagle Baseball » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:16 pm

I agree.

With respect to having 8 solid starters that is fine and you likely will do very well in the pitching cats. The problem is that while you were drafting those 8 solid starters other teams were still drafting bats so you likely will come up short in the hitting cats.
Eagle Baseball
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers