Top Rotations - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Top Rotations

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Top Rotations

Postby Holein1 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:01 pm

seattle should be higher.

King Felix (i think it is going to be his breakout year)
Bedard (who knows...could be good again)
Morrow (top 5 pitching prospect coming in...if not top 3)
the rest ( a bunch of crap)
Holein1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The_Natural » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:12 pm

Is this thread about fantasy or real baseball?
The_Natural
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MasterX1918 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:15 pm

Toronto is WAAAY too high
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby mweir145 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:32 pm

MasterX1918 wrote:Toronto is WAAAY too high

Halladay, Litsch, Purcey, Janssen, and Richmond (or Cecil?) is certainly above-average, especially with McGowan returning in May.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby B-Chad » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:25 pm

I would put the Giants rotation 1. I am a Giants fan, so take it with a grain of salt, but they have the best blend of top tier talent (Lincecum, Cain), top notch veteran arm (Big Unit), and depth/upside at the back of the rotation (Sanchez, Zito, Lowry). I would put the Red Sox two probably because they are deep, and talented, the argument could be made for one. Beckett/Lester/Dice-K/Wakefield/Penny... Smoltz eventually, Buchholz I think will eventually crack the rotation as well not to mention some of the guys in the high minors and starter converted to reliever Justin Masterson if need be.

I don't particularly care for the Yankees rotation as much as others. Sure, C.C. Sabathia is a bona fide ace, no qualms there, but A.J. Burnett the two? Sure he has all the talent in the world, but it's funny how it only seems to show itself in contract years. Don't get me wrong, ace type stuff, but part of being a two is being able to take the hill every turn and throwing 200 ish innings, and I would bet he doesn't, I think it's more likely he throws under 150 innings then over 200. Wang is a solid 3, no argument, innings horse, but it is important to note the importance of a top notch defense behind a ground baller, and DJ is about the most overrated fielding SS in the game. The corners are manned by top notch fielders (A-Rod and Big Tex), but DJ is well below league average at SS, and to be honest I couldn't tell you how Cano rates. Still, Wang is a solid 3. Pettitte is garbage, lets be honest, his ERA and WHIP were nothing to write home about, and he's not getting any younger. Sure, he's a lefty, he'll eat up some innings, but will they really be quality? Joba has all the talent in the world as a 5, but the Yankees will likely have to closely monitor his innings, as I don't think he'll be able to throw more then 150. Another talented pitcher, very talented for that matter, like Burnett, but durability issues certainly come to mind, and I think he'll have some bumps in the road. Hughes is a nice 6th option, and teams could do worse then Kennedy/Mitre (when back from suspension) as emergency starters, but the fact is these are emergency starters who likely will have to be called on because of Burnett's propensity for getting hurt and Joba's innings needing to be held in check. Now after all that said, I do think they are a tier 2 pitching staff because they do have tons of talent, but I see them as 7-10, not top 5 material.

I also think the Brewers need to be moved up. Certainly the loss of Sheets and Sabathia will hurt, but as someone else pointed out Gallardo will likely make up for the loss of Sheets, and Parra should improve. I would imagine that rotation will be around league average, say 13-18 range. I love the Rays rotation and think that they are without question a top 5 rotation with Shields/Kazmir/Garza/Sonnanstine/Price and a solid swingman like Niemann. Overall interesting list, but I'd also have to throw the D'Backs in the tier 1 as well with two aces Webb/Haren followed by a high upside prospect in Scherzer and a veteran lefty Doug Davis and innings eater Jon Garland rounding out the staff and some high minor prospects not far off. Overall, interesting thread as it's surely starting debates.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:58 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Bloody Sox wrote:Lincecum, Cain, RJ, Zito, Sanchez is the #1 rotation in baseball??? 8-o

I wouldn't even put them in the first tier.

I'd agree except I think Sanchez is going to have a solid year this year. 1 through 5 the Yanks definitely have the best rotation in baseball but I can see a good argument for SF being 2nd or 3rd.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Yoda » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:05 pm

SF rotation is awesome especially since Cain will finally breakthrough this year. I'd put them top 5 at the least.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby TheGhost76777 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:07 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
Bloody Sox wrote:Lincecum, Cain, RJ, Zito, Sanchez is the #1 rotation in baseball??? 8-o

I wouldn't even put them in the first tier.

I'd agree except I think Sanchez is going to have a solid year this year. 1 through 5 the Yanks definitely have the best rotation in baseball but I can see a good argument for SF being 2nd or 3rd.

I don't think the Yankees "definitely" have the best 1-5. They have their question marks like every one else, I think the Giants are ahead of them and the Yankees are in a tight race with 3 other teams in the East.

Sabathia - He's a choker...I am not sold on him succeeding in NY. He choked in every start of the '07 playoffs, especially in the ALCS against Boston. Last season in the playoffs with Milwaukee he choked. Anytime Cleveland would go to Oakland or LA in front of his hometown fans he would choke. I want to see him succeed in NY before we go out handing Cy Young awards.

Burnett - has topped 200 innings only 2x in a 9 year career. He'll probably see the DL at some point this season. He has also had a WHIP of 1.30 or higher in 2 of the last 3 seasons.

Wang - Injury concerns here as well. He'll be a great #3 if healthy, but there are those concerns.

Pettitte - has had an ERA of 4+ and WHIP of 1.40+ the past 3 seasons. I doubt he is even a league average starter at this time in his career.

Chamberlain - Can he make the jump to 180+ innings? Will he stay healthy?
TheGhost76777
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:08 pm

Yoda wrote:SF rotation is awesome especially since Cain will finally breakthrough this year. I'd put them top 5 at the least.

*crossing fingers as I select Matt Cain again*
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:25 pm

TheGhost76777 wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:I wouldn't even put them in the first tier.

I don't think the Yankees "definitely" have the best 1-5. They have their question marks like every one else, I think the Giants are ahead of them and the Yankees are in a tight race with 3 other teams in the East.

Sabathia - He's a choker...I am not sold on him succeeding in NY. He choked in every start of the '07 playoffs, especially in the ALCS against Boston. Last season in the playoffs with Milwaukee he choked. Anytime Cleveland would go to Oakland or LA in front of his hometown fans he would choke. I want to see him succeed in NY before we go out handing Cy Young awards.

Burnett - has topped 200 innings only 2x in a 9 year career. He'll probably see the DL at some point this season. He has also had a WHIP of 1.30 or higher in 2 of the last 3 seasons.

Wang - Injury concerns here as well. He'll be a great #3 if healthy, but there are those concerns.

Pettitte - has had an ERA of 4+ and WHIP of 1.40+ the past 3 seasons. I doubt he is even a league average starter at this time in his career.

Chamberlain - Can he make the jump to 180+ innings? Will he stay healthy?

I'm not saying the Yankees are the best anything, but you can poke holes in any rotation in baseball. Every team has questions and it's all going to boil down to health.

Also, the choker argument is lame. There are a lot of better reasons to be worried about Sabathia than the fact that he's had a couple of poor starts in October.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers