Please Rate Yahoo! Team (WHIR) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Please Rate Yahoo! Team (WHIR)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Please Rate Yahoo! Team (WHIR)

Postby theinflatinator91 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:40 pm

This is a standard Yahoo! 5x5, 12 team, H2H league...

I Just did the following trade...
I GET: Aviles, Lincecum, Hoffman, and Sherrill
I GIVE: Alexei Ramirez, Tori Hunter, Joe Nathan, and Chris Ray

Now here is my team.

C - Pablo Sandoval
1b - Justin Morneau
2b - Brian Roberts
3b - Evan Longoria
ss - Jimmy Rollins
of - Ryan Ludwick
of - Adam Dunn
of - Nelson Cruz
ut - Joey Votto
bn - Mike Aviles
bn - Justin Upton
bn - Milton Bradly

sp - Tim Lincecum
sp - Jon Lester
rp - Trevor Hoffman
rp - George Sherrill
p - Adam Wainwright
p - Eric Bedard
p - Joe Saunders
bn - Justin Duchscherer
bn - Johnny Cueto

What do you like, what don't you like? I know I need some relief help. Who should I make expendable and who should I go after? or Should I just sit back?

Thanks alot...
theinflatinator91
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Please Rate Yahoo! Team (WHIR)

Postby banks25 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:07 pm

I really like Sandoval and Upton. Solid across, I would worry about Bradley and Ludwick but since you have Upton you really don't need to go shopping. Nice job picking up Lincecum, your team really needed a SP. Keep an eye on the revolving door at RP.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=367606
banks25
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby dave knight » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:16 pm

Like someone said in my thread, Sandoval is a risk. He doesn't have the power of last years cheap catcher turned star, Soto. But if he gets playing time he has the pedigree, plus he could play a lot at first and third which is less strenuous while keeping that nice catcher eligibility. He doesn't seem like a home run guy but then again he's really young.

You know what you're getting with Morneau - top 10 production in 4 categories. The batting average is even better than on most comparable 1Bs. Roberts isn't elite, but has solid AVG, runs, and great SB - just outside the top 5. Longoria is fantastic 5 cat player; 3rd best at 3rd. Rollins may be overrated, but is in top 3-4 with decent stats and loves to run. Ludwick and Dunn are upper-middle tier and will give you RBIs, power, and OBP. Cruz is a risky choice as a starter, though, hard to tell what you'll get with him. Could be this years Ludwick though. Votto has enough upside to break the Top 10 1st basemen, and the other bench players have upside which is good.

Pitching is a mixed bag outside of obviously gifted Lincecum. Lester is a very good option. Wainwright is a risk because his innings have been cut back in recent years. Bedard is very overrated, he is a mid-tier pitcher. Saunders may not be good enough for a 12 team mixed, in my view. Duchscherer and Cueto are intriguing, if Duch can recover and Cueto matures. Still the two are lower-middle tier.

You do need more closers. I have a weird fetish of never going out of the way to get saves, but if you can market one of your starting pitchers for a nice stable closer then do it. Maybe Bradley has some value in that endeavor as well (though I like him slightly over Cruz).
dave knight
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Hogger1 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:12 pm

Thanks for your input with mine...

Personally I wouldn't have made that trade. It was a lot to give up for a pitcher who had such a heavy workload for the first time in his career last season. Plus now your closer situation is a little scary. I wouldn't be surprised if Ray ends up closing again this season before too long which would leave you with a 42 year old as your only closer. I guess you needed another pitcher, but you could have got a solid one a lot cheaper. Oh well, what's done is done and you can always find saves later.

Other than that...I don't like Sandoval as the only catcher on your roster. He could be real good, but it would have been nice if you drafted another one. I think your team has nice balance and if you can pick up another closer there's a good chance you'll be near the top. If anyone gets hurt early (ie. Ducscherer) you can always dump them for a good reliever who has a chance to close. Unless there are any actual closers available.
Hogger1
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 27)

Postby Kimbos Beard » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:45 pm

Generally I don't like big trades or big name trades before the season starts, but I think this one worked for you. It's impressive that you still have such a good infield even after moving Alexi.

The previous poster is right you have opened up a big hole in your relief pitching, but I think that is better than going into the season with Jon Lester/Adam Wainwright as your "aces". I think its easier to find a closer than it is to find an ace.
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 27)

Postby Kuji » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:07 pm

I agree, Wainwright and Lester are decent guys. Best thing about RPs is that if you watch closely some of the teams this season, you're sure to find pitchers that will close for you and give ya some SVs.

It's a good, balanced team. Sometimes you might find a C during the season as well, kind of like Geovany Soto. ;-D
Kuji
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby diehardsoxfan1008 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:47 pm

It looks ok. Your outfield blows but your team is ok. I would probably try to pick up another starter too.

Help?
viewtopic.php?t=367794
diehardsoxfan1008
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team