Reyes could bat 2nd/3rd - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Reyes could bat 2nd/3rd

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Reyes could bat 2nd/3rd

Postby kab21 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:01 pm

pokerplaya wrote:
kab21 wrote:While I certainly wouldn't move Castillo into the leadoff spot since that results in 15-20 fewer PA's (for a season) for each player that is moved down in the lineup, everyone seems to be overreacting to how big of a drop Reyes SB numbers would take in the #2 or #3 spot. Carl Crawford hasn't had problems stealing in the #2 or #3 spot (among others). I could go into a long rambling post, but I wouldn't be terribly concerned about a drop in SB numbers.

His SB numbers dropped from 07 - 08 and he was always batting lead off. I don't think it is unreasonable for him to reach 50 SB's in the 2nd or 3rd spot, but if he is moved out of the lead off spot he will never even come close to 80 bags again.

Reyes did have a tender hamstring in '08 (maybe May). Most projections don't have Reyes getting 80 SB's (more like 60) in the leadoff spot, but why are his numbers going to go down significantly in the #2 or #3 spot? Is it simply because guys with Reyes skillset have usually only been leadoff hitters. Of course Juan Pierre who doesn't have the OBP that Reyes does got 64 SB's mostly out of the 2 spot in '07. Crawford steals lots of bases in the #2 and #3 spot.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 166)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby duckbillgates » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:53 pm

kab21 wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:
kab21 wrote:While I certainly wouldn't move Castillo into the leadoff spot since that results in 15-20 fewer PA's (for a season) for each player that is moved down in the lineup, everyone seems to be overreacting to how big of a drop Reyes SB numbers would take in the #2 or #3 spot. Carl Crawford hasn't had problems stealing in the #2 or #3 spot (among others). I could go into a long rambling post, but I wouldn't be terribly concerned about a drop in SB numbers.

His SB numbers dropped from 07 - 08 and he was always batting lead off. I don't think it is unreasonable for him to reach 50 SB's in the 2nd or 3rd spot, but if he is moved out of the lead off spot he will never even come close to 80 bags again.

Reyes did have a tender hamstring in '08 (maybe May). Most projections don't have Reyes getting 80 SB's (more like 60) in the leadoff spot, but why are his numbers going to go down significantly in the #2 or #3 spot? Is it simply because guys with Reyes skillset have usually only been leadoff hitters. Of course Juan Pierre who doesn't have the OBP that Reyes does got 64 SB's mostly out of the 2 spot in '07. Crawford steals lots of bases in the #2 and #3 spot.

It's because managers tend to not send runners with their cleanup hitter at bat and two outs. The situation of a leadoff hitter always sets up more SB opportunities.

Using Crawford as an example, he has stolen fewer bases from the No. 2 slot, and even fewer from the No. 3.

If your drafting a guy for steals, you don't want him batting third, even if it means a bump in RBI.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:23 pm

Jose hitting in the 3-hole today and just hit a grand slam! JOSE REYEZ = RBIZ MASHINE IN DA 3 HOL!!!
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 426)

Postby Amazinz » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:27 pm

I didn't watch it but I think the lineup was Castillo-Pitcher-Reyes or 8-9-1, if you will.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:35 pm

Amazinz wrote:I didn't watch it but I think the lineup was Castillo-Pitcher-Reyes or 8-9-1, if you will.

didn't stop the announcers from making comments on how manuel was thinking of batting jose reyes in the 3-hole and how he is is more of an RBI threat there.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:47 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
Amazinz wrote:I didn't watch it but I think the lineup was Castillo-Pitcher-Reyes or 8-9-1, if you will.

didn't stop the announcers from making comments on how manuel was thinking of batting jose reyes in the 3-hole and how he is is more of an RBI threat there.

i kinda think it could help his value there. he could easily have 100+runs and 100+ rbi from the 3 hole, mixed with 15 hr and 50 sb. i think i may take that over a measly 15 or so sb.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:53 pm

HE JUST HIT ANOTHER HR! THAT'S 6 RBIZZZZZZ!!!
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:57 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:HE JUST HIT ANOTHER HR! THAT'S 6 RBIZZZZZZ!!!

This is when they take him out and put Neifi in to make sure he doesn't do the unthinkable and hit 3 in one game, right?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:04 am

nah the lineup did feature Castillo in the 1 hole and jose in the 3-hole. castillo also stole a base to eventually come across the plate n score... top it off with joses offensive excellence and this lineup move is gonna become more talked about!
10-Team 8x8 h2h

C VMart
1B MCab
2B Stewart
3B Zimmerman
SS Ramirez
OF Manny,BJUpton,Braun
Ut Rios
Ut Pierre
BN Quentin,Snider,Berkman,Bruce

SP Kershaw,Gallardo,Hanson,Liriano,Holland,JGarcia,Romero
RP KRod,Marmol,Feliz,Wagner,Dotel
DL BAnderson
NYMetsIn2k4
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:42 am

I enjoyed watching the game today....but make no mistake...Jose should be leading off.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers