Total season points vs. Per Game average projections - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Total season points vs. Per Game average projections

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Total season points vs. Per Game average projections

Postby cwrtlm » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:37 pm

I am looking at setting up my cheat sheets for a new league with different scoring. It is a 10 team H2H points league with weekly moves. Here are the point distributions:
Batting
Doubles (2B) 2 Triples (3B) 3
Home Runs (HR) 4 Singles (1B) 1
Walks (BB) 1 Intentional Walks (IBB) 1
Hit by Pitch (HBP) 1 Sacrifices (SAC) 0.5
Runs Scored (R) 1 Runs Batted In (RBI) 1
Stolen Bases (SB) 2 Strikeouts (K) -1
Team Win (BTW) 3

Pitching
Innings Pitched (IP) 3 Hits Allowed (H) -1
Walks Issued (BB) -0.5 Earned Runs (ER) -1
Strikeouts (K) 1 Wins (W) 10
Losses (L) -3 Saves (SV) 10
Complete Games (CG) 5 Quality Starts (QS) 3
Shutouts (SO) 5 No Hitters (NH) 10
Perfect Games (PG) 15

Would you take the player who scored more per game but missed more games or the player who played more games and scored more over the season. I guess taking the one who missed time you would hope that they wouldn't miss more time.
For instance:
Soriano socred 596 points over the season placing him the 43rd OFer
while Abreau scored 756 points over the season placing him 6th OFer
Now ESPN projects Soriano to be the 4th best OFer and Abreau as the 20th best OFer?
So my question is do you wait and try to snag higher producing batters later while trying to snag higher producing postions like Pitchers and Relievers. CC Sabathia scored the most points of anyone according to this scoring, 971, while Pujols was the highest batter at 905. Pujols was actually outscored by 3 pitchers: Timmy L, CC and Halladay. 12 batters scored over 800 while only 7 pitchers did. So would it behoov me at #4 to snag a guy like Pujols or then try to get Aces with the next 2 picks then piece together my hitters with lesser names that do better with this scoring that my be overlooked by other members of my league?
C- Hundley, Iannetta
1b- Wallace
2b- Barney/Barmes
3b- J. Lopez
CO- G. Sanchez
SS- Tulo
MI- Castro
OF- Bay, Hart, Pagan, Smith, Francisco, Ankiel
U- C. Ross(DL), Cantu
P- Carpent, Billings, Volquez, Marcum, Norris, J. Vazquez, Westbrook, Wolf, E Rogers
cwrtlm
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Total season points vs. Per Game average projections

Postby kab21 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:20 am

- If you think that the higher point/game scorer will be healthy all season then he is the guy to guy with. I would probably knock a guy like Soriano down a few places because he might be a little more injury-prone than others, but nowhere near his '08 ranking.

- Unlike in roto I have found that having a top ten pitcher in a pts league is a huge advantage (this might vary based on the scoring system). But they are also much less predictable. I wouldn't be surprised if the ADP of the top ten pitchers was much, much lower (bigger number) than the top ten hitter's ADP. It's very likely that you could pull a stud pitcher out of the 8th rd or even off of the waiver wire (think Cliff Lee or Ervin Santana). It also happens for hitters but less often imo. I would probably still go hitter at #4 because they don't have as much downside as pitchers (more injuries and less consistent yr to yr).

Another thing I like to do to get an idea of how the scoring is setup is to find out the difference in pts between different levels for hitters and pitchers. That sounds confusing, but it's not. I figure out how many players will be starting at all of the hitting positions and all of the pitching positions. Let's say it's a 10 team league with 10 starting hitters, 6 starting pitchers, and 5 starting RP's. I find the 50th ranked hitter, 30th ranked SP, and 25 ranked RP and consider this to be the average player at each position. And I do the same to find the worst (in theory) startable player at each position. And then as I consider different players during the draft I see how much of an advantage a particular hitter/pitcher will give me to the average/replacement level hitter/pitcher.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Baseball Leftovers