Moves That Need To Happen... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Moves That Need To Happen...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Moves That Need To Happen...

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:21 am

For years now, the Minnesota Twins have been without a capable 3B. They thought Matt Moses was going to be the guy and then Michael Cuddyer, who hasn't been able to stay healthy, and they passed on Conner Gillaspie for Aaron Hicks in the '08 draft. This has left them with a glaring whole at the hot corner since Gary Gaetti really. The Twins also have a fairly large offensive gap with the Punto/Harris combo. So what do the Twins do? They're main pieces to deal from are young OF (Cuddyer, Young, Span, Gomez, Kubel, Revere, and Hicks, though ineligible to be traded), young mid-rotation SPs (Slowey, Perkins, Blackburn, Humber, & Guerra).

Well, there are a few options: oft-injured FA Joe Crede (reportedly asking for $5-7 million) and the FA SS Orlando Cabrera would make sense but might be expensive., Marlins INF Jorge Cantu and Dan Uggla are likely available and both capable at 3B, and Rockies 3B Garrett Atkins is reportedly available though he's regressed every year since his breakout '06 or the Rockies could choose to part with Ian Stewart but would likely choose to jettison the former.

ACTION: IMO, The Twins should choose 1 of 2 things. 1: Sign Cabrera to play SS and trade for Uggla or Cantu. Cantu will be the cheaper of the two and Humber (out of options btw) could get that deal done. Uggla would likely cost Span at minimum. The Marlins are always trying to free up money for more potential-ridden youngsters and Emiliano Bonfacio and Dallas McPherson could make both Cantu and Uggla expendable. 2: The Rockies remain the best trade partners as they have SS prospect depth, blocked by Tuly, as well as Stewart and Atkins. I doubt the Twins could trade Young, so a package deal of Span, Cuddyer, Humber, and Perkins for Atkins, his contract, and SS Chris Nelson (has offensive upside) seems fair.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Boston Red Sox have a gapping offensive black hole at catcher with Varitek/Bard/Kottaras at the catcher spot. Varitek is a shell of his former self and his bat speed is tortoise-like. Bard has tried it in Boston, couldn't catch Wake, and failed but got a non-guaranteed deal for spring. Kottaras, former Padres catcher-of-the-future, is a dark horse and even though he hit 22 HR in AAA last year he still was overmatched last year in the bigs. This leave the Red Sox with the task of finding an heir to Varitek or intrust that task to Kottaras. The BoSox have been mainly rumored to be involved in discussions for Ari's Miguel Montero as well as Tex's Taylor Teagarden and Jarrod Saltalamacchia. Both teams want a young arm coming their way from Boston but the Red Sox have said that Lester, Buchholtz, Masterson, and Bowden are off limits. This leaves the team with Daniel Bard and Nick Hagadone as their lone high-end SP prospect dealing chips.

ACTION: Bard or Hagadone are likely enough to get Montero and he may be the best defensive catcher of the 3. Salty is for sure the worst behind the plate, has the most power potential, but might not be able to stick at the dish for the long-term. Teagarden is reportedly the most expensive but the upside of Bard alone should get Salty and Teagarden should cost more than Bard and . Bard and maybe a bullpen arm for Teagarden makes the most since but until the Rangers move off their Lester, Buchholtz, Masterson, and Bowden stance this is a no go. We can only hope they realize that there are 9 spots in the order.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The other team in need of a catcher are the Florida Marlins and they're after the same catchers. If the Red Sox get one of the Rangers catcher, then Montero would certainly make the most sense over signing an aging and over-expensive vet like Pudge. It seems the D'Backs are simply a few more arms away from taking the NL West.

ACTION: I don't think project Ryan Tucker and Sean West would be too much to ask for if I were Arizona as Montero is very young, calls a good game, and he has some power.
With the Adam Dunn signing, the Washington Nationals just became the most complicated team in baseball. They essentially have 4 capable 1B's Nick Johnson, Josh Willingham, Adam Dunn, and Dmitri Young with the outfield consisting of Austin Kearns, Josh Willingham, Adam Dunn, Elijah Dukes, Lastings Milledge, Wily Mo Pena, & Justin Maxwell. Jim Bowden might think he's playing in the AL with a DH but something has to be done. The team's most glaring whole is the pitching staff. I have this feeling the Nationals will try and secure new setup guy Huston Street to improve their closer spot and that wouldn't be the worst thing.

ACTION: Kearns and Ross Detwiler for Street sounds alright as Street is getting very expensive in arbitration and the Nationals need a legit closer.

A deal that makes a lot of sense to me would be to send Nick Johnson to the Angels as Kendry Morales is far from proven and is being trust into starting. Johnson has had health issues but can play when healthy and he wants out if he can't start.

ACTION: Johnson for some bullpen power arms with potential (Jepson and Kohn maybe?) seems about right.
Another team badly in need of 1B help, are the Seattle Mariners. Going into the season with Russell Branyan as you 1B is very scary with only Mike Carp as a possible option there instead.

ACTION: Nick Swisher to the Mariners makes all kind of sense to me and some prospects (maybe C Adam Moore and Halman or Ramirez) in return seems like an okay deal with the Mariners taking all salary as Swisher is pretty much the odd man out in NY. Who know? The Yankees might like Silva and/or Washburn as well.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Moves That Need To Happen...

Postby The G.O.A.T. » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:43 am

Arizona doesn't need arms. Think IF bats.
The G.O.A.T.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:58 am

The G.O.A.T. wrote:Arizona doesn't need arms. Think IF bats.

How so? I think Jackson, Tracy, Lopez, Drew, Reynolds, Ojeda, and Clark are fine. You're right that they don't have a lot of quality INF depth in the minors but I don't think you can expect that in a trade for Montero. I think maybe the Marlins would part with Coghlan for Montero straight up but thats about it. The Marlins and D'Backs do have some trade history as well (Julio for Petit).
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby SignGuy » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:19 am

Mets: GET MANNY!

Will never happen but it should.
SignGuy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jake_harv88 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:10 am

The Orioles should definitely trade Brian Roberts. He probably wont be with the team when they are hoping to be competitive so you might as well get some value for him now...

my move the "needs" to happen...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Noggy » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:25 am

Havok1517 wrote:ACTION: Nick Swisher to the Mariners makes all kind of sense to me and some prospects (maybe C Adam Moore and Halman or Ramirez) in return seems like an okay deal with the Mariners taking all salary as Swisher is pretty much the odd man out in NY. Who know? The Yankees might like Silva and/or Washburn as well.

I don't see how that makes sense. Swisher is the only worthwhile outfielder the Yankees have signed beyond this season. If they do indeed trade for a CF or C, they will be looking for guys who can contribute right away which anyone available and worthwhile in Seattle won't. There's a reason they trying to trade for guys like Mike Cameron earlier in the offseason.

Besides, it's Nady the Yankees really want to trade not Swisher. But the point of trading either of them would be filling a hole in 2009, not getting prospects. They have prospects at those positions already.
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby WyldStallyn » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:31 am

the sox have Luis Exposito in A ball. I hear he could turn out pretty good (still too early to tell), but is likely 2 years away.
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby kab21 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:53 am

I would revise your post: No team should be faulted for taking Aaron Hicks over Conor Gillaspie. Forget about positional need since Hicks is 3x the prospect that Gillaspie is. The Twins did however have two other picks before Gillaspie. However I'm not sure that Gillaspie is a better prospect than Valencia who will be starting in AAA (and they also have luke Hughes who can hit but is a questionable fielder).

Signing Cabrera requires them to lose a 1st rd pick and he really isn't that big of an upgrade over Punto (at least not a 1st rd pick worthy upgrade). And Harris won't be playing SS this year since he can barely field the position and will be part of the ugly 3B platoon with Buscher.

Every Twins fan will tell you that they don't want to start the season with Buscher/Harris at 3B, but this isn't fantasy baseball where some other team wants to make a deal with you. There was an earlier report that the Rockies wanted Slowey and Span for Atkins. Who knows if that's true but I doubt the Twins not upgrading 3B is due to lack of trying, but rather a very high cost to do so.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby CadensDad » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:54 am

I'd love to see Willingham come to the Braves to play LF, We really need a good hitter for LF, OR maybe trade for Brian Roberts and move Johnson back to LF

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby The G.O.A.T. » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:15 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
The G.O.A.T. wrote:Arizona doesn't need arms. Think IF bats.

How so? I think Jackson, Tracy, Lopez, Drew, Reynolds, Ojeda, and Clark are fine. You're right that they don't have a lot of quality INF depth in the minors but I don't think you can expect that in a trade for Montero. I think maybe the Marlins would part with Coghlan for Montero straight up but thats about it. The Marlins and D'Backs do have some trade history as well (Julio for Petit).

Jackson isn't an IF. He is playing LF now. Also why would the Dbacks just give Montero away for what they don't need? He'll catch 40% of the games and has plenty of potential. You are saying these moves need to happen, but the Dbacks don't need to move him for an arm. Plenty of bullpen arms and starters in the minors.
The G.O.A.T.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers