2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby j24jags » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:18 am

92 pages before 30 teams play their first game of the season...
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:22 am

jensen lewis was named official setup man to wood, does this make him the closer should wood gets injured?
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby kab21 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:39 am

BitterDodgerFan wrote:jensen lewis was named official setup man to wood, does this make him the closer should wood gets injured?

I kind of think so. Although I could see Perez getting a few opportunities if a lefty heavy lineup was coming up in the 9th (like MIN which batted Mauer/Morneau/Kubel consecutively last year).
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 162)

Postby metsfan12 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:09 pm

Niffoc4 wrote:
metsfan12 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:To be honest the save category rules can be confusing,

Yes they are but the King of Closers should know that someone can't create their own save opp.

I also don't know why Soriano was up with the lefties coming up. From what I could tell he was the only guy up. Perhaps if Gonzalez didn't get Howard and Ibanez out they were going to bring in Soriano to face Victorino (who has more power vs. lefties).

Who else should Cox have had getting ready? O'Flaherty? WIth only one lefty in the pen, and not the greatest one at that, Cox may not have the luxury of playing matchups... in that case he'll probably bring in his other best reliever (Soriano) if Gonzalez has trouble.

I would have thought he would have no one getting ready. If Gonzo is the closer AND the only good lefty and the next 3 hitters are lefties why get someone up and show some doubt in your closer for no good reason.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:16 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
Maris09 wrote:No closer can be considered a lock IMO, and I think Casilla has a good shot to close in Oakland for sure.
But if I had to pick, I say Streets doesn't get it done in Colorado. I think both Casilla and Ziegler (and Devine for that matter) are all better than Street.

I would disagree here. I agree no closer is a lock but it took a long bout of ineffectiveness and injury for Ziegler to overtake Street and it likely would have been Casilla if he was healthy at the time. The statement that Ziegler is a better than Street seems very wrong. Street is someone who's closed full-time before, has much better stuff, a much longer track record of success, was '05 AL ROY, and he's still just 25. Ziegler's shortcomings will be exposed as he's a long-term situational reliever and not a full-time closer as proven as he was getting hit hard the end of the year (teams had a .362 BAA, 1.82 WHIP, and they had a collective 1.040 OPS in Sept). As hitters saw Ziegler more, they started to figure him out. Street on the other hand wore down both mentally and physically in Oakland and he's pitched up to his capabilities for the Rockies so far in ST. A GM is going to take Street's potential and stuff over Zeigler's trick delivery every time and rightly so imo. http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... r=2008&t=p

Now, on to Casilla. He was lights out for a period last year and wore down and was close to the opposite for the 2nd half. He may have more potential and both, and certainly Ziegler, but he's inconsistent and an even bigger injury risk than Street. To me, he's sorta like Juan Cruz. Tons of talent, small frame, big pitches, injury-prone, a lot of potential, but terribly inconsistent so far. Still, I don't think Colorado can afford Street and I look for him to be moved sometime this season but if he is moved, I expect him to close just about anywhere he goes. Casilla, barring injury, should be the A's closer sometime in '09 as I fear Devine will need TJ. I rank them this way for the future and in '09...

Street

Casilla

Zeigler (He's a younger Chad Bradford)

The problem is, Beane only cares about pitchers who throw strikes and are effective. As long as Zeigler remains effective, he will be used in high leverage situations. I do agree that teams will eventually catch up to Zieg as they did towards the end of 08.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby rookies and cream » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:54 pm

metsfan12 wrote:
Niffoc4 wrote:
metsfan12 wrote:
Yes they are but the King of Closers should know that someone can't create their own save opp.

I also don't know why Soriano was up with the lefties coming up. From what I could tell he was the only guy up. Perhaps if Gonzalez didn't get Howard and Ibanez out they were going to bring in Soriano to face Victorino (who has more power vs. lefties).

Who else should Cox have had getting ready? O'Flaherty? WIth only one lefty in the pen, and not the greatest one at that, Cox may not have the luxury of playing matchups... in that case he'll probably bring in his other best reliever (Soriano) if Gonzalez has trouble.

I would have thought he would have no one getting ready. If Gonzo is the closer AND the only good lefty and the next 3 hitters are lefties why get someone up and show some doubt in your closer for no good reason.

Eh. My guess is that Soriano was scheduled to throw given today's off day. But that got spoiled by Lowe going 8. He was probably just getting his work in.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby kab21 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:22 pm

metsfan12 wrote:

How many batters do you think it takes for a pitcher to get ready? Should Cox have waited to warm up Soriano when that RHB is up?

He didn't get Soriano up until Gonzalez had already given up 2 H's and a BB. That seems appropriate.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 162)

Postby metsfan12 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:38 pm

kab21 wrote:
metsfan12 wrote:

How many batters do you think it takes for a pitcher to get ready? Should Cox have waited to warm up Soriano when that RHB is up?

He didn't get Soriano up until Gonzalez had already given up 2 H's and a BB. That seems appropriate.

I don't think so, he was already up and throwing when they showed him on TV and that was before any of those lefties were up. I think it was after Werth's AB. Rookies and Cream might be right about just getting some work.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:41 pm

Well Soriano was supposed to be their closer so if he is healthy, he will definitely get some chances.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:59 pm

i did notice there was another pitcher warming up with gonzo in the top of the 9th last night and i don't think it was soriano. anyone know who it was? i think he was white.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers