2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby Niffoc4 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:09 pm

metsfan12 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
Slow Pitch wrote:
Thats not quite possible I dont believe.

I guess you're right. I thought when the tying run was at bat he did. Oh well.

What??? I don't know if I should think you made a bad joke or if you really don't know the save rules.
well if the tying run is at bat (or is it on deck?)even with a four run lead it would be save situation, if Gonzalez hadn't gotten himself into the situation. Since he came in at the start of the inning there was no save opp.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:16 pm

What I found interesting was that they had Soriano warming up when the next 3 batters were all left-handed (Utley, Howard, Ibanez). Is Gonzo Atlanta's only lefty reliever??
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:21 pm

bigh0rt wrote:What I found interesting was that they had Soriano warming up when the next 3 batters were all left-handed (Utley, Howard, Ibanez). Is Gonzo Atlanta's only lefty reliever??

No, they have Eric O'Flaherty.
The retards sent Boone Logan to AAA :-C
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:30 pm

To be honest the save category rules can be confusing,
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 143)

Postby Yoda » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:32 pm

beezer wrote:
Yoda wrote:
beezer wrote:I've seen Arredondo listed ahead of Shields to be next in line in a few places. Also, why would they take Shields out of the role that he has flourished in for years? Arredondo is arguably the best pitcher in their bullpen.

How many saves does Arredondo have?

Oh sorry, ye that knows all. The answer is zero. That doesn't mean that Arredondo isn't better than Shields right now, which he is. Arredondo is short on experience but that is all. His stuff is dominant. His K rate is lower than Fuentes but his other peripherals are comparable if not better than Fuentes'. Again, Fuentes clearly has more experience. There are quite a few teams that would love to have Arredondo closing for them.

Well it really doesn't matter who you think is better. Shields is perfectly capable and Scioscia will go to him before Arredondo.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby converge241 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:46 pm

beezer wrote:
Yoda wrote:
beezer wrote:I've seen Arredondo listed ahead of Shields to be next in line in a few places. Also, why would they take Shields out of the role that he has flourished in for years? Arredondo is arguably the best pitcher in their bullpen.

How many saves does Arredondo have?

Oh sorry, ye that knows all. The answer is zero. That doesn't mean that Arredondo isn't better than Shields right now, which he is. Arredondo is short on experience but that is all. His stuff is dominant. His K rate is lower than Fuentes but his other peripherals are comparable if not better than Fuentes'. Again, Fuentes clearly has more experience. There are quite a few teams that would love to have Arredondo closing for them.

How many saves did Krod have when he started closing? How many saves does anyone have when they start getting them really? lol

I firmly believe if they hadnt signed Fuented Arredondo would be closing and Shields would stay setting up...could be wrong but Shields having 20 saves over EIGHT MLB seasons vs. Arredondo's zero in one season doesnt automatically make the decision for shields as easy as it was put with that question..Theres a reason why Arredondo has 10 wins he was trusted in tight situations..if he were to falter im sure Shields would be the other option..they BOTH have their share of BLOWN saves as well. Hey Escobar has more saves than Shields..maybe Kelvim would close by that logic, right? Krod must have ran with the closer job because he had 2 saves in 2003 vs Shields 1 in 2003. I bet Scioscia said "this shields guy only has one and rodriguez has double that..hes my closer! :)

Some people can think it would be Shields some people would think it would be Arredondo..we wont know until we do but it won't be as black and white as Scioscia becoming a caveman and saying "Zero Saves? Me no can use Arredondo as closer. Me use Shields him have more saves"

And on Gonzo..He isnt a true matchups guy to face lefties and someone else faces righties..Teams can roll without a "true" lefty..Angels have done it recently to name one team..I think they have had a couple recent seasons without bullpen lefty (ties it together nicely back to Angels talk)
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby duckbillgates » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:07 am

Not sure if this was mentioned, but it is official that it's Ryan, not Downs. From CBS Sports:

News: Blue Jays closer B.J. Ryan struggled with his velocity during the spring, but manager Cecil Gaston changed his tune Sunday, saying the lefty, and not setup man Scott Downs, will get the call if the game is on the line Monday.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CharlatanSin » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:40 am

CubsFan7724 wrote:Gotta love having Gonzalez on your team come in on a non-save situation and then just blow up your WHIP/ERA. Oh well, my opponent has Brett Myers.

I have both :-C
She said always remember never to trust me
She said that the first night that she met me
She said "there's gonna be a time when I'm gonna have to go with whoever's gonna get me the highest."
CharlatanSin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mobzz » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:47 am

How will you ever get your ERA down after that 1 earned run?
mobzz
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Maris09 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:30 am

AussieDodger wrote:
Maris09 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:Casilla is the better investment even though Corpas has more talent but Casilla has a less talented closer in front of him.

Seeing as how Ziegler overtook Streets last year, I'm not sure that's 100% true.
I have a feeling Streets doesn't last long in Coors.

So because Ziegler took over from somebody who was struggling with a groin injury he is a lock? :-?

Everyone has to face reality when it come to Ziegler. He a lucky ground baller who will turn back into a pumpkin very shortly, so take it as given that he is on your team temporarily. ;-D

Did I say it was a lock....
Or was I commenting as to the statement about Casilla having a less talented closer in front of him?

I was commenting as to the statement about Casilla having a less talented closer in front of him.

No closer can be considered a lock IMO, and I think Casilla has a good shot to close in Oakland for sure.
But if I had to pick, I say Streets doesn't get it done in Colorado. I think Casilla and Ziegler (and Devine for that matter) are all better than Street.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers