2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:59 am

Anything to keep Perez, Franklin, and One Pitch Motte out of there. :-b La Russa must really hate the young kids and their "pop music" and complicated shoes. Image

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:18 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:The St. Louis Post Dispatch speculates that the Cardinals may pursue signing Pedro Martinez to be their closer.

Martinez has said that he'd be open to the idea. "I would prefer to try it first and see how my body responds because I haven't done it in a long time," Martinez said. "It's something you really have to endure and really try first before you know if your body can do it." He may get some relief work in the World Baseball Classic.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... rts%20News

That would be awesome and HUGE for fantasy players.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Zhangman1 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:15 pm

Any possible closers w/ the wonderful SP,RP qualification? Only one i noticed was Kuo (on Yahoo that is)
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby kab21 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:38 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
I honestly think it would be a good and cheaper move to trade Street while he's healthy to a team in need of a closer. Washington makes sense to me.

Washington doesn't make sense because they still aren't going to win 75 games next season (they have a couple of seasons before they start moving up). No reason to trade a prospect (part of the future) for a closer (an overrated role). Plus Hanrahan is a solid pitcher.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 166)

Postby JTWood » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:29 pm

Yoda wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:The St. Louis Post Dispatch speculates that the Cardinals may pursue signing Pedro Martinez to be their closer.

Martinez has said that he'd be open to the idea. "I would prefer to try it first and see how my body responds because I haven't done it in a long time," Martinez said. "It's something you really have to endure and really try first before you know if your body can do it." He may get some relief work in the World Baseball Classic.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... rts%20News

That would be awesome and HUGE for fantasy players.

I went ahead and deleted the thread I started on this.

Pwnt by Pogo, yet again. :-/
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby rookies and cream » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:42 pm

After reading the article, this appears to be pure speculation on the part of the writer. I mean, he writes "The discussion might include discussion of free agent Pedro Martinez as an option at closer. La Russa suggested in November that the club should expand its consideration to include veteran starting pitchers."
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:46 pm

rookies and cream wrote:After reading the article, this appears to be pure speculation on the part of the writer. I mean, he writes "The discussion might include discussion of free agent Pedro Martinez as an option at closer. La Russa suggested in November that the club should expand its consideration to include veteran starting pitchers."

Last I heard, Pedro was throwing around 90 mph. Now that may have changed and I guess it better as hell have no chase closing at that velocity.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 133)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:58 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
rookies and cream wrote:After reading the article, this appears to be pure speculation on the part of the writer. I mean, he writes "The discussion might include discussion of free agent Pedro Martinez as an option at closer. La Russa suggested in November that the club should expand its consideration to include veteran starting pitchers."

Last I heard, Pedro was throwing around 90 mph. Now that may have changed and I guess it better as hell have no chase closing at that velocity.

Utley's in the STL closer mix? :-S

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:02 pm

Havok1517 wrote:

Trevor Hoffman says hi. :-D
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 305)

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:24 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:

Trevor Hoffman says hi. :-D

Sorry, I'm still on the pain meds. Also, I don't think Pedro has Hoffman's changeup (at least the Hoffman of old) and you could say the same thing about Foulke.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 133)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers