2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby mt99808 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:42 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
Syfo-Dyas wrote:
metsfan12 wrote:
I picked up Casilla. No one seems too confident that Ziegler can be an effective closer for an extended period of time. So if Devine end up missing more than a month Casilla might end up in the mix.

Who are noone? Did you see Zieglers stats? Two month is an extended period to me.(might not be enough sample size for Yoda :-) )
And whats the source?
Cause Im looking at Casilla too, but ending up in the mix? What mix? Devine is injured all the time, so he is not reliable. If Ziegler works out fine, like he did last year, than I see no mix. Ziegler mostly and somtimes Devine to spell Ziegler. Casilla might replace Devine, when he is healthy, to spell Ziegler but I dont think thats worth the rosterspace.

My friend, Ziegler is lucky garbage - good guy though ;-D .
When he turns back into a pumpkin shortly, you're either looking at Casilla, Blevins or Springer (whoever is hot/healthy at the time) to become closer.

You follow the A's closely? What is your opinion on Casilla?
mt99808
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:09 am

mt99808 wrote:
You follow the A's closely? What is your opinion on Casilla?

He needs to stop pitching hurt (like in the 2nd half last year - elbow), to be something good.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby mt99808 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:13 am

Whats his deal in '09 though? Does he still have lingering injury issues?
mt99808
College Coach
College Coach

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:28 am

erase any worries about brian wilson imo. just watched him throw a nice inning in tonights exhibition game. had good zip on his fastball and slider and was throwing both along with his change up for strikes. struck out 1 and walked 1 in his 1 inning, the walk was promptly caught stealing. he seems fine and i fully expect he'll be available to pitch opening night.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:41 am

mt99808 wrote:Whats his deal in '09 though? Does he still have lingering injury issues?

I haven't heard anything negative (although Oakland can be quite secretive with stuff like that).
Just have to wait and see.
Whoever gets the 8th to begin with might give you a clue - if they can't trust Casilla's health out of the gate they might try Springer or Blevins in the 8th to see if they've got what it takes.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:43 am

metsfan12 wrote:
Syfo-Dyas wrote:
metsfan12 wrote:
I picked up Casilla. No one seems too confident that Ziegler can be an effective closer for an extended period of time. So if Devine end up missing more than a month Casilla might end up in the mix.

Who are noone? Did you see Zieglers stats? Two month is an extended period to me.(might not be enough sample size for Yoda :-) )
And whats the source?
Cause Im looking at Casilla too, but ending up in the mix? What mix? Devine is injured all the time, so he is not reliable. If Ziegler works out fine, like he did last year, than I see no mix. Ziegler mostly and somtimes Devine to spell Ziegler. Casilla might replace Devine, when he is healthy, to spell Ziegler but I dont think thats worth the rosterspace.

After that run of not giving up an ER Ziegler had a good month closing and then followed it up with a poor September. Look a little deeper into his numbers and you won't be so impressed. His K/BB ratio is horrible for a reliever and his BAA in September was .362. That low ERA he put up was not sustainable. He is not overpowering as evident in his low K/IP and he became hittable as the season went on and he walks guys.

;-D
But its still possible that he got tired at the end. :-?
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pedros Little Friend » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:26 am

Zhangman1 wrote:is Burton still the backup? or does Weathers get a shot if Cordero goes down?

i'm curious too. i've heard baker say how much he liked burton last year, and that's who's listed on the first page. but weathers has that intangible that managers seem to love - an old mediocre arm with experience. has baker given any indication on who's next in line? cordero's obviously having a hard time with his ankle.
Pedros Little Friend
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pedros Little Friend » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:28 am

Zhangman1 wrote:is Burton still the backup? or does Weathers get a shot if Cordero goes down?

i'm curious too. i've heard baker say how much he liked burton last year, and that's who's listed as next in line on the first page. but weathers has that intangible that managers seem to love - an old mediocre arm with experience. has baker given any indication on who's next in line? cordero's obviously having a hard time with his ankle.
Pedros Little Friend
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pedros Little Friend » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:28 am

i'm curious too. i've heard baker say how much he liked burton last year, and that's who's listed as next in line on the first page. but weathers has that intangible that managers seem to love - an old mediocre arm with experience. has baker given any indication on who's next in line? cordero's obviously having a hard time with his ankle.
Pedros Little Friend
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kweiss » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:42 am

Rotoworld.com projects Carlos Villanueva as the Brewers opening day closer.

Villanueva didn't impress new manager Ken Macha at all during the first half of the spring, but he regained his stuff as March progressed and it looks like he's secured the closer's role for the duration of Trevor Hoffman's absence. McClung is next in line.

http://rotoworld.com/content/features/c ... 32433&pg=3

So is this official?
kweiss
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers