2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby Slayer Rules » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:29 pm

Casilla has his own problems staying healthy.

Ziegler controls his own destiny right now. I understand the hesitation on hm with his unorthodox style - definitely not an overpowering guy. But if he's successful he'll keep the gig all year I reckon....

If he has problems then Casilla could get a shot - but again it's not like that's much of an option because Casilla is as fragile as anyone else the A's have.
Slayer Rules
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:19 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:ceda should be in the poll list as well, he's a sleeper for saves in florida towards end of the yr.

Well, there are only 10 options and the Marlins probably have 10 guys capable of closing including prospects. A good problem to have but it was too hard for me to narrow down.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 119)

Postby metsfan12 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:31 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:
metsfan12 wrote:
duckbillgates wrote:What are thoughts on Ziegler now that he has the job to himself for a minimum of a month? He wasn't on my radar going into drafts, since I was a big Devine believer.

I picked up Casilla. No one seems too confident that Ziegler can be an effective closer for an extended period of time. So if Devine end up missing more than a month Casilla might end up in the mix.

Who are noone? Did you see Zieglers stats? Two month is an extended period to me.(might not be enough sample size for Yoda :-) )
And whats the source?
Cause Im looking at Casilla too, but ending up in the mix? What mix? Devine is injured all the time, so he is not reliable. If Ziegler works out fine, like he did last year, than I see no mix. Ziegler mostly and somtimes Devine to spell Ziegler. Casilla might replace Devine, when he is healthy, to spell Ziegler but I dont think thats worth the rosterspace.

After that run of not giving up an ER Ziegler had a good month closing and then followed it up with a poor September. Look a little deeper into his numbers and you won't be so impressed. His K/BB ratio is horrible for a reliever and his BAA in September was .362. That low ERA he put up was not sustainable. He is not overpowering as evident in his low K/IP and he became hittable as the season went on and he walks guys.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:13 pm

Interesting Article on Francisco Cordero:
From Cincinnati.com
Nothing that happened this spring was more alarming than Francisco Cordero’s early struggles.
Cordero gave up nine runs on 13 hits over his first four outings.

He’s righted himself somewhat, allowing two runs over his last six outings. He’s struck out 10 and allowed only three hits over 5 2/3 innings in those outings.

“I definitely feel better,” Cordero said. “It hasn’t been the best spring training. The main thing I was looking for is to get 100 percent on my ankle. My ankle feels good. My shoulder feels good.”

Cordero was coming off ankle surgery Sept. 26 to remove a bone spur. He had been dealing with the problem for two years. It made it impossible for him to run as part of conditioning.

“My ankle feels a lot better,” Cordero said. “It’s getting where I want it to be. I’ve been able to run. I’m not 100 percent, but I’m close. My main thing is to be healthy.”

The Reds were concerned enough about Cordero to alter his routine a bit. They began using him in minor league games as well as big league games to gain arm strength.

In spring training, I work on pitches more,” he said. “I’ve been working on my changeup a lot to get the feeling for it. My best pitchers pitches are my fastball and slider. Now that I’ve been getting comfortable with my changeup, it will help me. It helped me last year."

"My velocity is there,” he said. “I can’t wait for Opening Day.”

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090401/SPT04/304010115/1071
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby neoforce » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:47 pm

That postive Cordero posting had an interesting contrast in Rotoworld tonight:

Francisco Cordero-R- Reds Apr. 3 - 9:15 pm et
Francisco Cordero gave up three runs in his inning against Double-A Carolina on Friday.
Yeah, it's probably time to start picking up David Weathers in NL-only leagues. Cordero has given up 18 runs -- 16 earned -- and four homers in 10 2/3 innings. His owners should be hoping it's the ankle problem that's turned him into an awful pitcher this spring and not an arm issue.

I had targeted him in an NL only keeper auction this weekend, and not sure if this means I can get Cordero at better value because people are worried, or if I should also be worried and avoid him.
Last edited by neoforce on Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby dssguy99 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:48 pm

Is BJ Ryan closing or what?
dssguy99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rookies and cream » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:03 pm

dssguy99 wrote:Is BJ Ryan closing or what?

My guess is yes. He had a scoreless outing tonight. No hits, walked one.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 43)

Postby Zhangman1 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:16 pm

neoforce wrote:That postive Cordero posting had an interesting contrast in Rotoworld tonight:

Francisco Cordero-R- Reds Apr. 3 - 9:15 pm et
Francisco Cordero gave up three runs in his inning against Double-A Carolina on Friday.
Yeah, it's probably time to start picking up David Weathers in NL-only leagues. Cordero has given up 18 runs -- 16 earned -- and four homers in 10 2/3 innings. His owners should be hoping it's the ankle problem that's turned him into an awful pitcher this spring and not an arm issue.

I had targeted him in an NL only keeper auction this weekend, and not sure if this means I can get Cordero at better value because people are worried, or if I should also be worried and avoid him.

is Burton still the backup? or does Weathers get a shot if Cordero goes down?
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby mt99808 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:09 pm

I think BJ Ryan through a scoreless, hitless inning tonight with 1 k and 1 BB.
mt99808
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:32 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:
metsfan12 wrote:
duckbillgates wrote:What are thoughts on Ziegler now that he has the job to himself for a minimum of a month? He wasn't on my radar going into drafts, since I was a big Devine believer.

I picked up Casilla. No one seems too confident that Ziegler can be an effective closer for an extended period of time. So if Devine end up missing more than a month Casilla might end up in the mix.

Who are noone? Did you see Zieglers stats? Two month is an extended period to me.(might not be enough sample size for Yoda :-) )
And whats the source?
Cause Im looking at Casilla too, but ending up in the mix? What mix? Devine is injured all the time, so he is not reliable. If Ziegler works out fine, like he did last year, than I see no mix. Ziegler mostly and somtimes Devine to spell Ziegler. Casilla might replace Devine, when he is healthy, to spell Ziegler but I dont think thats worth the rosterspace.

My friend, Ziegler is lucky garbage - good guy though ;-D .
When he turns back into a pumpkin shortly, you're either looking at Casilla, Blevins or Springer (whoever is hot/healthy at the time) to become closer.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers