2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby rookies and cream » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:52 am

Surprised to see so many votes for Perry. Yes he throws 100 mph but his college numbers are not nearly as good as Fields. Is the problem that Fields is now blocked by Morrow?
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:55 am

rookies and cream wrote:Surprised to see so many votes for Perry. Yes he throws 100 mph but his college numbers are not nearly as good as Fields. Is the problem that Fields is now blocked by Morrow?

I actually voted for Rodriguez as I feel he has the best stuff. Sorta like another Rodriguez that now plays for the Mets.
Last edited by Havok1517 on Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 124)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:58 am

perry is the one because few sites are saying he's also in the mix.

leyland said 1 run lead, he goes to rodney.
it can also mean 2 run lead goes to lyon, 3 run lead to perry.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby fitz0527 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:28 pm

rookies and cream wrote:Surprised to see so many votes for Perry. Yes he throws 100 mph but his college numbers are not nearly as good as Fields. Is the problem that Fields is now blocked by Morrow?

I'm surprised Bard only has 3 votes, maybe because he is so far removed from the closer's role in Boston, he can dial it up to 100 as well and didn't allow a run in the 9 1/3 innings he pitched this spring with 12 K's.
fitz0527
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 9)

Postby metsfan12 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:47 pm

fitz0527 wrote:

I'm surprised Bard only has 3 votes, maybe because he is so far removed from the closer's role in Boston, he can dial it up to 100 as well and didn't allow a run in the 9 1/3 innings he pitched this spring with 12 K's.

I was the first to vote for Bard although admittedly I am no expert on minor leaguers. I just thought he probably throws the best heat of those up there.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby duckbillgates » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:37 pm

What are thoughts on Ziegler now that he has the job to himself for a minimum of a month? He wasn't on my radar going into drafts, since I was a big Devine believer.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby metsfan12 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:54 pm

duckbillgates wrote:What are thoughts on Ziegler now that he has the job to himself for a minimum of a month? He wasn't on my radar going into drafts, since I was a big Devine believer.

I picked up Casilla. No one seems too confident that Ziegler can be an effective closer for an extended period of time. So if Devine end up missing more than a month Casilla might end up in the mix.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:02 pm

ceda should be in the poll list as well, he's a sleeper for saves in florida towards end of the yr.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby mt99808 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:54 pm

metsfan12 wrote:
duckbillgates wrote:What are thoughts on Ziegler now that he has the job to himself for a minimum of a month? He wasn't on my radar going into drafts, since I was a big Devine believer.

I picked up Casilla. No one seems too confident that Ziegler can be an effective closer for an extended period of time. So if Devine end up missing more than a month Casilla might end up in the mix.

Casilla's numbers were off the charts the first 2 months of last season. He looked like the closer in waiting but then I think he got hurt and has never really returned. His K numbers in spring training aren't impressive at all compared to where he was. 3 in 9 innings or something i think it was last time i checked.
mt99808
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:19 pm

metsfan12 wrote:

Who are noone? Did you see Zieglers stats? Two month is an extended period to me.(might not be enough sample size for Yoda :-) )
And whats the source?
Cause Im looking at Casilla too, but ending up in the mix? What mix? Devine is injured all the time, so he is not reliable. If Ziegler works out fine, like he did last year, than I see no mix. Ziegler mostly and somtimes Devine to spell Ziegler. Casilla might replace Devine, when he is healthy, to spell Ziegler but I dont think thats worth the rosterspace.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers