2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby RedHopeful » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:21 pm

Yoda wrote:Even if I were desperate for SV, I wouldn't hang onto Lyon unless it was a 20 team league. A guy like Lyon has the potential to hurt you more than he can help you. I'd probably just wait and see what happens in DET. I'll bet that someone out of nowhere wins that job.

Agreed. He burned me last year in Arizona - thought I'd be getting some cheap saves but he ended up hurting the ole roto ERA and WHIP. :-t Don't forget guyes he's now not pitching in the National League Western division either.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 85)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby metsfan12 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:22 pm

Syfo, you are not going to get on anyone's good side in here by saying "go ahead shut it down". If you feel that way, go ahead and don't post anymore in here.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Magnus_CA » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:30 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:
Syfo-Dyas wrote:What do you think whos the safer option, Brian Wilson or Lindstrom?
Who would you invest in, Nunez or Affeldt.

Please ask that in the Draft and Trade forum.

Don't make me close down this thread b/c people can't follow the rules.

Dont know what makes you think its a draft or trade question. Im not drafting and not trading anybody. So its not. If you think it is whats your reasoning?

But if you want, yeah, close it because this question, and not because of these very helpful informations like

Yoda wrote:OMG Street or Corpas! WHIR

or

Slow Pitch wrote:Would anyone drop Perez for Perry?

This is obviously a bench spot.

or

18 and 1 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Where is the fun in that? His posts deserved to be exposed in public. If you don't want to read it, then don't.

Good lord :rolleyes:

etc...

then close it down.

Good post. Heck of a time for the mods to moderate when there's so much other bs allowed to be posted in this thread/forum.

I don't agree Syfo-Dyas OP is not Leftover material. The relative value of closers and their potential successors is what this thread is about from post numero uno.
Magnus_CA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby 18 and 1 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:00 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
MrE wrote:Rodney isn't a closer. How many times do you go to the fire and get burned before you wakeup Leyland?

You make it sound like he's brimming with ace relievers and is instead choosing a bum. He's got to choose between crap and more crap.

I think Perry has a chance to be a stud closer down the road, if not sooner.
18 and 1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:11 pm

18 and 1 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
MrE wrote:Rodney isn't a closer. How many times do you go to the fire and get burned before you wakeup Leyland?

You make it sound like he's brimming with ace relievers and is instead choosing a bum. He's got to choose between crap and more crap.

I think Perry has a chance to be a stud closer down the road, if not sooner.

I don't disagree. But he's just made the team for the very first time. You can't blame Leyland for not handing him the 9th inning from square one. Maybe sooner than later, due to circumstance, and he could very well flourish there, but right now for saves Leyland is really stuck between a rock and a hard place with Lyon and Rodney both being pretty bad and Zumaya in a love affair with the DL.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 373)

Postby kemper5 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:12 pm

Corpas with another IP without being scored on..Maybe it was that 1 run that he gave up all spring,maybe the 0.90 ERA? Just a year ago,the Rox inked Corpas to a big contract labeling him as their closer for the future,Im sure he will be the highest paid setupman,or one of them.. Street will be on a pretty short leash
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Tigers2006 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:14 pm

From ROTOWORLD:

Brian Wilson in danger of missing opener

Brian Wilson hasn't pitched in an exhibition game in eight days because of an infected middle finger and is in danger of missing the season opener.

The Giants don't get going until Tuesday, so time is on his side, but he'll need to jump back into live action pretty soon. Wilson has thrown 10 scoreless innings this spring with a 9/4 K/BB ratio. Jeremy Affeldt would probably fill in if Wilson isn't ready. Apr. 2 - 8:45 am et
Source: San Francisco Chronicle
Tigers2006
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Tigers2006 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:18 pm

Sorry, I missed the post on Brian Wilson on Page 75 ... but, reposting it anyway might help discussion.
Tigers2006
College Coach
College Coach

Postby colt4523 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:32 pm

Shouldn't Ryan's status be adjusted to shaky? I would not consider him rock solid anymore.
90% of my posts are from complaining about my team :)
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 83)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:06 pm

Tigers2006 wrote:From ROTOWORLD:

Brian Wilson in danger of missing opener

Brian Wilson hasn't pitched in an exhibition game in eight days because of an infected middle finger and is in danger of missing the season opener.

The Giants don't get going until Tuesday, so time is on his side, but he'll need to jump back into live action pretty soon. Wilson has thrown 10 scoreless innings this spring with a 9/4 K/BB ratio. Jeremy Affeldt would probably fill in if Wilson isn't ready. Apr. 2 - 8:45 am et
Source: San Francisco Chronicle

It's definitely Affeldt, IMO, if Wilson can't go. Can anybody get a more descriptive source on Wilson's status, etc.?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 373)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers