2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby Yoda » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:03 pm

Even if I were desperate for SV, I wouldn't hang onto Lyon unless it was a 20 team league. A guy like Lyon has the potential to hurt you more than he can help you. I'd probably just wait and see what happens in DET. I'll bet that someone out of nowhere wins that job.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby silverZ » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:05 pm

I hanging on to Lyon. Rodney will blow up and give Lyon some chances sooner or later. My staff is good enough to anchor my ratios for a few cheap saves. Keep an eye on Ryan Perry, he could be the Tigers version of Motte.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby metsfan12 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:10 pm

bluejkrew wrote:You all already saw it coming, but it's now official that Street is the closer.

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090402&content_id=4110210&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Did Hurdle make the official announcement yet? I don't see anything in that article that makes it official other than Street reacting to some sort of news that he is the closer (perhaps the original leak from the Denver Post). Maybe I missed something in the article by skimming it, and I realize the writing is on the wall, but I didn't see "ITS OFFICIAL" anywhere in there. Were they implying he had just come out of a meeting with management?
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:14 pm

What do you think whos the safer option, Brian Wilson or Lindstrom?
Who would you invest in, Nunez or Affeldt.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby metsfan12 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:18 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:What do you think whos the safer option, Brian Wilson or Lindstrom?

They are pretty darn close but I'd go with Wilson. I don't think either is going to miss much time at all so would not bother with Nunez or Affeldt except in a deep league or to handcuff your Wilson/Lindstrom if you like being safe about it.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:25 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:What do you think whos the safer option, Brian Wilson or Lindstrom?

Please ask that in the Draft and Trade forum.

Don't make me close down this thread b/c people can't follow the rules.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)

Postby metsfan12 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:46 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:

Yeah man, don't ask any closer questions in the closer forum. Unless you are going to post info about a closer that has already been posted 10 times you shouldn't be posting in this thread.

Seriously though, I can understand not wanting the "should I drop X for X questions" but I don't see the problem with general comparison of closer questions or other general closer value questions that don't require one to ask for league specific settings to really be able to answer. For some reason it is ok to talk about who is 5th in line for a certain team but totally a no-no to compare 2 front runners from different teams. Maybe this thread should be titled Closer News only, because it is otherwise too vague to new people.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:57 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:

Dont know what makes you think its a draft or trade question. Im not drafting and not trading anybody. So its not. If you think it is whats your reasoning?

But if you want, yeah, close it because this question, and not because of these very helpful informations like

Yoda wrote:OMG Street or Corpas! WHIR

or

Slow Pitch wrote:Would anyone drop Perez for Perry?

This is obviously a bench spot.

or

18 and 1 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
18 and 1 wrote:Why not just take it outside of a useful thread? Maybe PM or start another thread? Why disrespect others by continuing the pissing contest within this thread?

Where is the fun in that? His posts deserved to be exposed in public. If you don't want to read it, then don't.

Good lord :rolleyes:

etc...

then close it down.
Last edited by Syfo-Dyas on Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Geek » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:58 pm

metsfan12 wrote:
bluejkrew wrote:You all already saw it coming, but it's now official that Street is the closer.

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090402&content_id=4110210&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Did Hurdle make the official announcement yet? I don't see anything in that article that makes it official other than Street reacting to some sort of news that he is the closer (perhaps the original leak from the Denver Post). Maybe I missed something in the article by skimming it, and I realize the writing is on the wall, but I didn't see "ITS OFFICIAL" anywhere in there. Were they implying he had just come out of a meeting with management?

It quotes both Street and Corpas reacting to the news. Hard to believe both guys would talk to the press about it without hearing from the manager first.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby metsfan12 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:19 pm

Geek wrote:
metsfan12 wrote:

It quotes both Street and Corpas reacting to the news. Hard to believe both guys would talk to the press about it without hearing from the manager first.

True, and I didn't see the Corpas comment until you pointed it out. Still, you have no idea what this guy asked to get that comment. Worse is the freakin Denver Post article that is titled "Street Officially Named Closer" or something like that and then says Hurdle will make an official annoucement later today. It was just a regurgetation of the earlier hot news that stemmed from some unknown insider. I would just like to see these guys jump the gun one time and be completely wrong and then they will look like the news companies that declared Gore won.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers