2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby metsfan12 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:11 am

Yoda wrote:
metsfan12 wrote:
Pedros Little Friend wrote:
clearly? no. take out street's first couple of outings this spring and he had better numbers than corpas. there's also the fact that corpas' velocity is down due to some tinkering with his mechanics. i didn't see either of them pitch, but having followed the box scores for the last couple of weeks, it's been very close, but street has actually had the edge recently.

Ok so it is not a clear win for Corpas if you take out the first half of ST and also ignore some of Corpas' results because his velocity was slightly down in getting to those results. Got it!

Street > Corpas when he is healthy. 8 IP in Spring Training doesn't mean crap.

I don't disagree. But if Hurdle and company feel the same way as we do then it isn't an open competition. There is nothing open about it and it can barely be called a competition if one guy is chosen despite not pitching as well. I already said I think they SHOULD go with Street but open competition + the numbers they put up in Spring = Corpas closing. The open competition BS was likely just to push Street a little IMO. Honestly, why would you sign a guy for one year/4M if you weren't going to 1. use him as your closer or 2. showcase him and trade him.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:13 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
BitterDodgerFan wrote:rodney v lyon v perry,

is rodney really an improvement over lyon? rodney was just as bad during the spring. if rodney tanks will perry get the call ahead of lyon?

i dont think even Jim Leyland knows at some point. here is how it will probably play out though

Rodney blows some saves, Lyon gets the call. Lyon Blows some saves, back to Rodney. Rodney blows more saves, Zumaya comes back from the DL, closes on game and goes back on the DL. Lyon gets another shot, blows some saves. at the point maybe they look to Ryan Perry. i estimate that point to be May 16th

Yep. There are situations like this that occur each and every season, yet everybody wants it to be neat and tidy for their fantasy team, and neglect that this is the probability on more than just one team. People can speculate all they want about Rodney, Perry, Lyon, and whomever, but the bottom line is that the Detroit 9th inning pitching scene is a place you want to avoid if at all possible right now. Otherwise, you're just playing the waiting game and nobody's opinion means anything to the contrary.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 817)

Postby Yoda » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:13 am

metsfan12 wrote:I don't disagree. But if Hurdle and company feel the same way as we do then it isn't an open competition. There is nothing open about it and it can barely be called a competition if one guy is chosen despite not pitching as well. I already said I think they SHOULD go with Street but open competition + the numbers they put up in Spring = Corpas closing. The open competition BS was likely just to push Street a little IMO. Honestly, why would you sign a guy for one year/4M if you weren't going to 1. use him as your closer or 2. showcase him and trade him.

Well, I would think that they want Street to be the closer anyway since a) he is more expensive, b) he came in the Holliday trade so they want to show something for it, c) build up his trade value before his arm falls off.

Street is still a pretty significant injury risk. I would want to move him asap.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby metsfan12 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:14 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
BitterDodgerFan wrote:rodney v lyon v perry,

is rodney really an improvement over lyon? rodney was just as bad during the spring. if rodney tanks will perry get the call ahead of lyon?

i dont think even Jim Leyland knows at some point. here is how it will probably play out though

Rodney blows some saves, Lyon gets the call. Lyon Blows some saves, back to Rodney. Rodney blows more saves, Zumaya comes back from the DL, closes on game and goes back on the DL. Lyon gets another shot, blows some saves. at the point maybe they look to Ryan Perry. i estimate that point to be May 16th

That is alot of blown saves in a little over a month. Poor Tiger fans.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby metsfan12 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:19 am

Yoda wrote:
metsfan12 wrote:I don't disagree. But if Hurdle and company feel the same way as we do then it isn't an open competition. There is nothing open about it and it can barely be called a competition if one guy is chosen despite not pitching as well. I already said I think they SHOULD go with Street but open competition + the numbers they put up in Spring = Corpas closing. The open competition BS was likely just to push Street a little IMO. Honestly, why would you sign a guy for one year/4M if you weren't going to 1. use him as your closer or 2. showcase him and trade him.

Well, I would think that they want Street to be the closer anyway since a) he is more expensive, b) he came in the Holliday trade so they want to show something for it, c) build up his trade value before his arm falls off.

Street is still a pretty significant injury risk. I would want to move him asap.

Agreed, and I think they should have moved him before the season. The longer you wait the bigger the chance he gets hurt and you get nothing for your 4M.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kab21 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:29 am

metsfan12 wrote:
Agreed, and I think they should have moved him before the season. The longer you wait the bigger the chance he gets hurt and you get nothing for your 4M.

That is why he almost has to be the closer though. Closers seem to automatically have better trade value even if there really isn't much of a difference in pitching in the 8th and pitching in the 9th.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 520)

Postby Yoda » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:43 am

metsfan12 wrote:
Yoda wrote:

Well, Street finished the season as the set up man. So teams who want to trade him as their closer will need to see him be successful in that role before ponying up.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby fittsrk » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:15 pm

Does anyone know when the heck Yahoo is going to add Isringhausen to the player database...He's not a bad pick-up right now as anything can happen and he is on the DL so won't cost anyone a roster spot...He will take some saves this year as, living in the area and watching a ton of games, Maddon stuck with Percy last year even when he was injured and pitching like crap because he LOVES veteran closers....He's on the 40 man roster...C'mon Yahoo...step it up...
fittsrk
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 12)

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:28 pm

fittsrk wrote:Does anyone know when the heck Yahoo is going to add Isringhausen to the player database...He's not a bad pick-up right now as anything can happen and he is on the DL so won't cost anyone a roster spot...He will take some saves this year as, living in the area and watching a ton of games, Maddon stuck with Percy last year even when he was injured and pitching like crap because he LOVES veteran closers....He's on the 40 man roster...C'mon Yahoo...step it up...

He just got added to the 40 man yesterday or the day before. I would think he will be added soon
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 60)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby converge241 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:31 pm

Did I miss it or no talk about Wilson/Affeldt here

Brian Wilson hasn't pitched in an exhibition game in eight days because of an infected middle finger and is in danger of missing the season opener.

The Giants don't get going until Tuesday, so time is on his side, but he'll need to jump back into live action pretty soon. Wilson has thrown 10 scoreless innings this spring with a 9/4 K/BB ratio. Jeremy Affeldt would probably fill in if Wilson isn't ready. Apr. 2 - 8:45 am et
Source: San Francisco Chronicle
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 121)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers