2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:21 am

I've got a question about the first post in this thread that lists the closers and the backups.

What's the difference between the guy listed first and the underlined guy? Which one is supposed to be the closer and what is the difference.

This should be explained in the original post b/c frankly there are just waayyy too many symbols. I took out my sliderule and still could not fully decipher it.
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 268)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby kemper5 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:22 am

I just read this from the Denver Post

A source told the Denver Post's Troy Renck that Huston Street has captured the Rockies' closing job over Manny Corpas.

Manager Clint Hurdle is expected to make it official Thursday afternoon. Corpas has allowed just one run this spring, but has also shown a significant drop in velocity. He's averaging just 89 mph on his sinker. Street hasn't required more than 12 pitches to retire the side in his last nine appearances. After a slow start, he has clearly shown that he's the better bet in the ninth inning. Apr. 2 - 8:55 am et
Source: Denver Post

Hold onto Corpas if you got him, Street should be on a short leash..If he goes out and starts to give up runs the Rox will not hesitate to change guards quickly at closer. Last year Street was nothing special at closer, when the A's finally took him out of the closers role in early Aug, his stats were this.. 4.65 ERA, 18 Saves in 25 Opportunities ..Not great
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1726
Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby Pedros Little Friend » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:29 am

metsfan12 wrote:Colorado essentially lied when they said it was an open competition if Street is indeed the closer. Corpas clearly "won" the "competition".


clearly? no. take out street's first couple of outings this spring and he had better numbers than corpas. there's also the fact that corpas' velocity is down due to some tinkering with his mechanics. i didn't see either of them pitch, but having followed the box scores for the last couple of weeks, it's been very close, but street has actually had the edge recently.
Pedros Little Friend
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1064
Joined: 12 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:30 am

Mookie4ever wrote:I've got a question about the first post in this thread that lists the closers and the backups.

What's the difference between the guy listed first and the underlined guy? Which one is supposed to be the closer and what is the difference.

This should be explained in the original post b/c frankly there are just waayyy too many symbols. I took out my sliderule and still could not fully decipher it.


I think it's a work in progress Mookus, there's been a lot of changes lately. ;-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11363
(Past Year: 25)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby metsfan12 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:36 am

Pedros Little Friend wrote:
metsfan12 wrote:Colorado essentially lied when they said it was an open competition if Street is indeed the closer. Corpas clearly "won" the "competition".


clearly? no. take out street's first couple of outings this spring and he had better numbers than corpas. there's also the fact that corpas' velocity is down due to some tinkering with his mechanics. i didn't see either of them pitch, but having followed the box scores for the last couple of weeks, it's been very close, but street has actually had the edge recently.


Ok so it is not a clear win for Corpas if you take out the first half of ST and also ignore some of Corpas' results because his velocity was slightly down in getting to those results. Got it!
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 436
Joined: 16 Jun 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:40 am

rodney v lyon v perry,

is rodney really an improvement over lyon? rodney was just as bad during the spring. if rodney tanks will perry get the call ahead of lyon?
Image
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 6508
Joined: 18 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: City of Grigori

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby metsfan12 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:41 am

Mookie4ever wrote:I've got a question about the first post in this thread that lists the closers and the backups.

What's the difference between the guy listed first and the underlined guy? Which one is supposed to be the closer and what is the difference.

This should be explained in the original post b/c frankly there are just waayyy too many symbols. I took out my sliderule and still could not fully decipher it.


The order they are listed is the currently best estimate of the pecking order. In other words, the order if everyone was healthy. The underlined guy is the current closer. For example, if Devine was healthy Havok (and most) think he would be the primary closer. So he is first in order, but he is hurt so Ziegler is underlined. I think Havok left a couple without an underlined guy because it is too up in the air (ie Street will be underlined and probably moved up to 1st in order soon I would assume).
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 436
Joined: 16 Jun 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby Yoda » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:42 am

metsfan12 wrote:
Pedros Little Friend wrote:
metsfan12 wrote:Colorado essentially lied when they said it was an open competition if Street is indeed the closer. Corpas clearly "won" the "competition".


clearly? no. take out street's first couple of outings this spring and he had better numbers than corpas. there's also the fact that corpas' velocity is down due to some tinkering with his mechanics. i didn't see either of them pitch, but having followed the box scores for the last couple of weeks, it's been very close, but street has actually had the edge recently.


Ok so it is not a clear win for Corpas if you take out the first half of ST and also ignore some of Corpas' results because his velocity was slightly down in getting to those results. Got it!


Street > Corpas when he is healthy. 8 IP in Spring Training doesn't mean crap.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:45 am

BitterDodgerFan wrote:rodney v lyon v perry,

is rodney really an improvement over lyon? rodney was just as bad during the spring. if rodney tanks will perry get the call ahead of lyon?


i dont think even Jim Leyland knows at some point. here is how it will probably play out though

Rodney blows some saves, Lyon gets the call. Lyon Blows some saves, back to Rodney. Rodney blows more saves, Zumaya comes back from the DL, closes on game and goes back on the DL. Lyon gets another shot, blows some saves. at the point maybe they look to Ryan Perry. i estimate that point to be May 16th
Image
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 10225
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:47 am

BitterDodgerFan wrote:rodney v lyon v perry,

is rodney really an improvement over lyon? rodney was just as bad during the spring. if rodney tanks will perry get the call ahead of lyon?


A dark horse could be Juan Rincon (assuming he makes the 25-man).
He hasn't been scored on yet in ST from 13.1 IP, with 12 Ks.

Leyland is still suspicious of his stuff (from what I've read), but if he keeps churning out decent innings the anticipated blown save carnage will make him look mighty attractive. ;-D

He's not available in Yahoo for some reason BTW. :-b
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11363
(Past Year: 25)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact